PDA

View Full Version : Moose in my yard.....

Donziweasel
02-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Woke up this morning and had some visitors. Mama moose and her calf in our yard. I was typing on the computer, looked up and 8 ft away, mama is looking at me through the window. Here are a couple of pics, they are not that good. I took one of these from 10 ft away, but had the truck between us. Here are the pics, enjoy!

Ed Donnelly
02-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Throw a saddle on her and go for a ride:wink:....Ed

Donziweasel
02-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Ed, funny you say that. Boo Boo thought it was a stray horse at first!:eek!:

Ed Donnelly
02-16-2008, 08:48 AM
One day I will post a pic of one of my horses..
Makes the Moose look like a pony:eek!: ......Ed

boxy
02-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Has the snowfall driven them out of the bush looking for food, or are they normally around you ?

Donziweasel
02-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Steve, moose just kinda wander around the valley. In the winter they love to eat willow bushes. If you have some willows in your yard, you will probably get a moose visit at sometime. The snow drives them into the valley every year.

Jraysray
02-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Kinda off topic but we are seriously thinking of vacationing there. Jackson Hole / Yellowstone. Can you give me some inside scoop? When is the best time, where to stay, etc?

Scott / Jeannette

Donziweasel
02-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Scott, winter or summer?

Jraysray
02-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Scott, winter or summer?

Summer maybe? When does that snow dissapear? :eek!:

Donziweasel
02-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Snow is gone off the valley in April and off most the mountains in late June, this year will be much later if the snow continues for the mountains. The best time to visit is September IMO. The crowds are gone, days are nice highs in the 80's, lows in the 50's. Aspens and Cottonwoods are changing and you can save some money. All the activities are still going on, although the whitewater rafting is a little tame. The flyfishing is excellent in September. You will also see more wildlife as in the meat of summer they go high in elevation, especailly the bears and wolves. There is also our Fall Arts Festival if you are into that. Let me know what else I can help you with.

If you were planning on winter, 3rd week in February is usually a good one for snow, skiing, dog sledding and if you get some clear days, snowmobiling (actually riding while it is snowing is very dangerous).

need for speed
02-16-2008, 07:41 PM
That is so cool! I need to come out your way and check your area out it looks so nice.

Donziweasel
02-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Wait till next summer and you can stay in our guest cabin on the Lazy P Ranch. Will have rafts, horses, 4-wheelers, and even a 2004 F-350 guest truck. In the winter we will have skiing and I might even buy a couple of spare sleds for freinds.

gcarter
02-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Last July we visited some friends in Bangor, Maine. We borrowed a car and packed up to drive across the wilderness of North West Maine. Everyone told us to watch out for moose as they would wander out into the road and it usually ended up being a serious wreck. Well, we were very careful driving for the first two hours or so.....keeping our eyes open looking for stray moose. Eventually, it ended up being very frustrating for Elaine who really wanted to see one. We saw about 50 signs warning of moose, several statues of moose in front of businesses, hotels, etc. In her frustration, she said more than once "Where are those damn moose anyway?"
I ended up buying her a T-shirt w/a moose on it and a small book called "Uses for Mooses and Other (Silly) observations".
:propeller:

Jraysray
02-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Snow is gone off the valley in April and off most the mountains in late June, this year will be much later if the snow continues for the mountains. The best time to visit is September IMO. The crowds are gone, days are nice highs in the 80's, lows in the 50's. Aspens and Cottonwoods are changing and you can save some money. All the activities are still going on, although the whitewater rafting is a little tame. The flyfishing is excellent in September. You will also see more wildlife as in the meat of summer they go high in elevation, especailly the bears and wolves. There is also our Fall Arts Festival if you are into that. Let me know what else I can help you with.

If you were planning on winter, 3rd week in February is usually a good one for snow, skiing, dog sledding and if you get some clear days, snowmobiling (actually riding while it is snowing is very dangerous).

September is out cause of the kiddos starting school. When would be the 2nd choice?