PDA

View Full Version : project 72

ronnie
02-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey Everyone! What About Cutting Out The Battery Area Under Rear Seat And Filling It In??

ronnie
02-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Started A Month Ago New Transom & Some Stringer Replacement And Now To The Deck. Some Stress Ckacks And Two Areas To Recore. Going To Cut Out Old Dash Backer And Replace With New Wood & Fill In. Just A LittLe Somthin To Do In Winter Months Ha! Ha!

ronnie
02-15-2008, 08:44 PM
A Few More Pics.

gcarter
02-15-2008, 09:06 PM
So what do you have against the poor battery box which is in such a convenient location??
It's completely out of the way there.

ronnie
02-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Hey G. I Like Reading About Your Project Very Informational. I Just Thought Kind Of Pain To Get Into When Battery Problems. And Top Of Seat Has Big Problems Need To Cut Out From Top & Replace. I Know Bottoms Better But In Good Shape On Under Side. Newer Models Have Battery Under Motor Hatch Right??

gcarter
02-16-2008, 06:17 AM
Ronnie, just because it's under the hatch, doesn't necessarily mean it's easier to get to. Imagine being underway and trying to re-start and you have a bad battery terminal connection. Would you rather fool w/it in the back seat, or climb into the engine compartment.
If it were me, I'd cut off the box from the seat, replace the seat, and re-attach as a unit.
I don't know about your seat problem, but if you cut the box out just outside the lid recess, it might be pretty easy to do.

ronnie
02-16-2008, 06:55 AM
thanks G. though out the years water ponded in that area and heved glass up from bottom. Im going to use the ski locker trick. And maybe storage board in front??Maybe pics later. thanks!!

MOP
02-16-2008, 08:51 AM
I did away with the battery box when I rehabbed my 22, I did it for two reasons. I went with dual batteries in the engine compartment and I also installed a new fuel tank in that after compartment to move the CG back. My batteries are forward in the compartment in easy reach as is my battery switch. When I did away with the original box I shortened it up enough to clear the tank, it now now has a 3/4" marine plywood bottom that is tied into the stringer tops. It adds a ton of support to the rear seat and tub area and gives me anchor and safety kit storage.

ronnie
02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
thanks, MOP I like your idea I,m going to use it. Now more pics. G cooler locker ?? A few stress areas to tend to top and bottom of deck. The 72 dosent seme to have as many voids as newer hulls and decks ?

ronnie
02-25-2008, 07:58 PM
more pics. GC rear seat area cut from top and replace with ply or balsa core? thanks you guys this is a gas!!!

glashole
02-25-2008, 08:22 PM
I have seen someone remove the battery box and replace it with a hidden cooler.

you would just lift the seat to see the lid

pretty slick- real custom and functional :)

gcarter
02-25-2008, 08:35 PM
That seating surface in post #10 would be REALLY easy to fix.
The deck does seem to be a bit more solid than later boats.
Your ski storage mod is clever and nice.
Good luck.

ronnie
03-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Back together for a little transport to the paint booth. GC have you ever run into this thick layered primer? Oh just an old repair must have been done late 70s. Just somthin else to do. Back seat cut out and need to re core. thanks gc and all the guys!!!!!

gcarter
03-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Could you tell if someone re-cored the deck at one point? I've seen decks where the upper skin looked like the proverbial "Sack of Potatoes" after re-coring. A lot of primer like that would be one way to it a little better to look at.

ronnie
03-17-2008, 06:48 AM
GC yes look at pic # 10 I had to cut out old core and replace larger area with new. I,am going to take it down to orginal gell coat?? Then regel all and paint stripeing.Thanks for posting all of your projects very good insite for all here on board and for me with this project 72!!!!

Kirbyvv
03-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Nice job Ronnie. Another great resto thread. keep 'em coming.

BigGrizzly
03-17-2008, 09:39 AM
The old 16 didn't have the battery box, instead the battery was under the hatch. what a pain. I ended moving the battery to the side of the engine. still a pain. The only reason to move that battery in yours is to use that area for storage.