PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use an Airdock?

cutwater
02-15-2008, 04:07 PM
http://www.airdock.com/

I'd like some opinions if anyone has experience. Looks interesting. Do they only work in protected coves and marinas?

Also, what is the street price on these (for a Minx or 22C), or does anyone have one for sale?

John

osur866
02-15-2008, 05:02 PM
know much about that kind of lift, but my donzi sits on a Hydra-Hoist IMO the best boat lift out there but certainly not the cheapest, If your on a large lake used ones can be had for a decent price, Hydra-hoist made an older model that was rated at 4000 lbs that would be good for any 22 or minx thats what my 18 sets on in the summer and has no problem even in rough water. Steve

The Hedgehog
02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Mine sits on a Hydrahoist as well. I will probably get one for the X-18 also. It is a good system.

VetteLT193
02-16-2008, 02:29 PM
http://www.airdock.com/

I'd like some opinions if anyone has experience. Looks interesting. Do they only work in protected coves and marinas?

Also, what is the street price on these (for a Minx or 22C), or does anyone have one for sale?

John

Check over on OSO, a few guys use them there, all good things to say about them from what I've read.

One warning I saw was to buy the proper size. If you buy a used one that is too big, they say they are a total PITA.

Sam
02-17-2008, 07:05 PM
I have one and love it. I keep my 20' Key West on it, it's done everything I wanted it to. Being that we have ice here in Mich during the winter, I just haul it out, scrub it down and store it in the boat house. Give me a shout if you have any specific questions.

Sam

cutwater
02-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I was just blown away by the cost of the Hydrohoists... literally as much as I paid for my boat, so I was looking for some alternatives. I've started searching for some used HydroHoists and Airdocks for this summer. One thing I like about the Airdocks is that you can "pack them up" for the winter.

BigGrizzly
02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
I have a hydro hoist, but after what I saw at the boar show, I would also use this especially in low water conditions. If I have to do another lift and hang it off to the side.

cutwater
02-17-2008, 10:57 PM
I have a hydro hoist, but after what I saw at the boar show, I would also use this especially in low water conditions. If I have to do another lift and hang it off to the side.

Reeaaallll nice. Only needs a depth of draft + 12 in!

yeller
02-17-2008, 11:13 PM
I have a hydro hoist, but after what I saw at the boar show, I would also use this especially in low water conditions. If I have to do another lift and hang it off to the side.Although not exactly the same, Blueliner is using a similar one from another company and seems to work great.

The one concern I have about the Airdock...and I may be totally off base, but couldn't it prevent the hull from drying? Seeing as the contact area is so large, can any air get under the hull so it can dry out?

osur866
02-17-2008, 11:57 PM
I bought my hydra-hoist 6 or 7 years ago for around $2000 used put new bushings in it and has worked flawlessly since. A year after I put the boat lift in tried to find a used waverunner hydra-hoist and nowhere to be found so paid I think like 2750 for a new waverunner lift :smash: more than the boat lift, put have had NO problems with both. Dad has had 3 for may years with no issues either just my .02 worth, Steve

zelatore
02-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Over the years we've taken several HydroHoists and other similar lifts in with smaller trades. I currently have 5000 and 10000 units at my main office and a couple smaller ones of unknown brand at my delta office.

The main drawback I've seen with the HydroHoist style systems is the extra water depth required as mentioned above.

Although not as much an issue with a low-profile boat like a Donzi, I've seen several people nearly drop boats off sideways when they get off-balance. For example, I have a 28 Four Winns on a lift currently. You must be VERY carefull when lowering or raising it to be sure it moves evanly. I could easily see dumping the boat on it's side. Of course, once fully raised they are quite stable.

Similarly, although I haven't used an Airdock, I used to work in a marina where a berther used one for a 20-something cuddy. One of the bags apparently began leaking and nearly flipped the boat while unattended. I've always thought they looked very unstable, based partially on this experience.

Granted, I suspect some HydroHoists could do the same thing. I've just never had one fail in that mode before.

osur866
02-18-2008, 12:46 AM
I have to disagree with the comment on the hydra-hoist lifting sideways or flipping a boat off of it, You must not be talking about a true Hydra-Hoist lift, their claim to fame was level lifting and I have never had that kind of an issue with them.

zelatore
02-18-2008, 01:27 AM
I've got a 10,000 lb gen-u-wine HydroHoist at my docks now with a 28 Four Winns on it. When my boss first went to inspect it as part of the trade, he didn't read the instructions (yeah, it's his fault) and just opened all four valves. Given that he didn't bother reading the instructions first, you can guess how well he paid attention to the rest of the situation...

Before he knew it, he had the thing way over on it's side. One of my detailers had gone with him to help handle lines and was sure the boat was a goner. No, he didn't toss it in the drink. He just thought he was going to.

Later, after we took the trade I towed the hoist to our office marina and played with it a bit. Since the 4 valves weren't labeled (fore/aft, port/stb) I started to get the thing sideways myself when I first lowered the boat because I guessed wrong about which valve was which and ended up inflating the side I wanted to hold steady.

The scary part is that I've often seen hoists like this (various brands) suddenly 'pop' once they reach a break-over point. Everything seems to be going slowly, then you reach critical mass and one chamber suddenly wants to surface much faster.

I will say this - I've never actually seen one go over, and it would be much harder to get a low profile boat like a Donzi out of shape. And none of this would stop me from buying one if I was going to keep my boat in the water. I'd just be careful when using it.

osur866
02-18-2008, 02:22 AM
makes more sense, not a product failure but a user failure :bonk:. Steve

The Hedgehog
02-18-2008, 08:30 AM
The older model Hydrahoists had bands that wrapped around the pontoons. They would corrode and pot off leaving boats on their sides. They must have marketed a bunch in Eufaula when the older models came out because I routinely say boats kicked over on their sides at the older docks.

The newer models only have plastic in the water.

I could see the benefit to the airdock in shallow water or when you think you may have to move slips. It seams to cost about $1,000 to move from marina to marina. The two marinas I have used will not let you hook them up your self. I probably don't blame them.

zelatore
02-18-2008, 12:06 PM
User Failure. Yup.....that'll get ya every time!

If you've got some time and a couple friends, it's not hard to move/install the typical hydro hoist. The bigger unit we have in Oakland currenlty was in San Mateo at Coyote Point. I was going to have the local Hydrohoist dealer move it, but they didn't have any openings before the guy's slip lease ended, so I took a couple my guys and one of my Albins over and towed it accross the bay to Oakland. I did do it around 6:00 AM to avoid any winds, but other than taking a long time at about 5 knots it was a piece of cake.

Some of the older units actualy have to be bolted to the docks. Those I don't care for much- they can put preasure on the dock fingers and twist them up when in the down position. But the newer free-floating units are just tied to cleats. Just float it into position, screw down the control box, and plug it in.

BigGrizzly
02-18-2008, 03:52 PM
On my first hydro hoyst the bands did rot but they were glued to the pontoon and I never did get them off i just put the new set on next to them. My dock was 15 years old when I did that.

boatnut
02-18-2008, 07:05 PM
I had an air dock for several years and ended up selling it to someone here on the Donzi forum. They have advantages including price but I wouldn't consider one if your slip has any wave action -- best for completely protected harbors/marinas etc. I had a little too much wave action at my dock and constantly had to adjust lines etc. to keep the air dock from touching any part of the float or it would get abrasion leaks -- also our lake is used a lot for bass tournaments and the friendly fisherman would cast lures under my air dock and every once in awhile puncture the dock --- all leaks are very slow as there is little pressure in the "chambers" but leaks are a pain. I replaced it with a poly lift (www.polylift.com) and love it --- seems much more durable than my neighbors hydro hoist, doesn't flex at all in wave action --I give it a top rating. I use jet dock (black modular blocks) for a pwc dock -- also very durable and simple --- but I didn't like the idea of making an Evil Knieval jump to put a large boat on top of the jet dock -- like they say you can do.

jeddski
02-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I have a lightly used Airdock that I will be selling, and cheap as it has been taking up space in my attic for the last year.

We used it on a 22ZX for a season and then a Z20 for a season as well. Our slip is in a relatively protected lagoon but we would see some wave action from the larger boats that would occasionally cruise through leaving huge wakes.

The system is relatively simple to use, it just takes a little practice getting the optimal inflation figured out. We purchased the lift new and for the price the Airdocks cannot be beat as the cost is less than bottom paint.

We stopped using the lift when we bought the 27ZR (also for sale) and our slip was replaced with a piling mounted cable lift.

If you're interested feel free to
email jeddski@aol.com or
call 609-425-0249

Jedd

blueliner
02-24-2008, 01:19 PM
i have a sunstream boatlift.... solar powered, remote control, self-contained, doesn't bolt to the dock(just ties up and u can move it anywhere, so it's very portable) and it works flawlessly. i love mine!!!!