PDA

View Full Version : Circulating pump/thermostat QUESTION ... HELP

Lenny
02-14-2008, 09:10 PM
I think I asked this once a few years ago but can not find it. So, my question is, I am putting another 350 into another boat ( a friend is) and I have some new SSM manifolds AND a "bling kit" to replace the circulating pump from SSM as well. I WANT to use this stuff.

Question, does it matter if I remove the Circulating pump? Do I need a thermostat still or can that go too? The water is between 42-44F-ish all year.

What should I be scared of?

I have a crank driven pump to suck water in with...

http://www.stainlessmarine.com/images/lg77237312.jpg

gcarter
02-14-2008, 09:29 PM
A circulating pump will regulate the flow of water somewhat.

mjw930
02-15-2008, 07:44 AM
There's a lot of opinions on this but I have run many a motor without the recirculation pump without problems both with and without a thermostat. In the warm FL waters a thermostat is optional on a motor that makes a lot of heat (re: high performance, not stock).

That part you show is for a motor without a thermostat. With your water temps I would not use that part. They make another kit that has 3 nipples on the top and an additional one on the bottom. That allows water to flow past the engine and into the exhaust when the thermostat is closed. (NOTE: YOU CANNOT RUN A THERMOSTAT WITH THE KIT YOU PICTURED, YOU'LL BURN UP YOUR EXHAUST AND BLOW THE HOSE OFF YOUR SEA PUMP)

Here's a picture of the part you should use. Also be aware that you will need to relocate your water temp and overheat switch to another area of the water passage or use an adapter plate that has the 2 fittings.

http://www.stainlessmarine.com/images%5Clg954889664.jpg

Mr X
02-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Yup,
what he said.

Lenny
02-15-2008, 09:08 AM
THAT is basically the one I do have. I just grabbed a pic off of the SSM website. The only difference is that my "lower" pice is three pieces connected with hose (not as pretty or "bling bling" ) but the same thing. It is all but impossible to get a motor up to temp her ever without a thermostat. That being said, isn't it preferable to run cool? I thought the "ponies" were happier when they were cool?

mjw930
02-15-2008, 10:24 AM
THAT is basically the one I do have. I just grabbed a pic off of the SSM website. The only difference is that my "lower" pice is three pieces connected with hose (not as pretty or "bling bling" ) but the same thing. It is all but impossible to get a motor up to temp her ever without a thermostat. That being said, isn't it preferable to run cool? I thought the "ponies" were happier when they were cool?

If your motor temp never gets high enough to evaporate condensation you'll get the stuff you see in this thread under your valve covers and in other areas of the INSIDE of your motor. Not a pretty sight.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51855

Also, there are 2 differences, the extra pipe on the lower piece and the extra pipe on the upper piece.

gcarter
02-15-2008, 12:44 PM
SBC's are much happier w/some heat in them.
Add a remote HE and a remote electric circ. pump and run it @ 160*.