PDA

View Full Version : Hornet II, is this original?

handfulz28
02-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Early '80s vintage.
The cutout for engine access. I wouldn't guess it is, but wanted to ask.

Also, I think iboats identified a 330hp engine as an option. Would that be a big block I assume?

I've tried doing some searches here but haven't found nearly as much on the Hornet. I'd like to read more though if anyone can help.

Thanks,
Michael

Rodger
02-13-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't believe the cutout is original. Probably done for access to the engine...possibly to allow a cam change without removing the engine. The 330 is the standard BB 454 2 bolt main engine with a TRS drive.

Rob M
02-14-2008, 07:46 AM
I would guess Hornet II based on the rail around the back. Early 80s would be correct if so, last Hornet was in 76.

Boatnuts
02-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Cut out panel was normal. There should be a cover panel with a bit of a wedge shaping top to bottom. Base engine was a 260 HP Mercruiser with 330 TRS offered as an option.

Lenny
02-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Why not look at this one.... ???

http://miami.craigslist.org/boa/572749054.html

Forrest
02-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Cut out panel was normal. There should be a cover panel with a bit of a wedge shaping top to bottom. Base engine was a 260 HP Mercruiser with 330 TRS offered as an option.

That is true. The cutout was done at the factory that is normally covered by a molded fiberglass panel as Boatnuts describes above.

handfulz28
02-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Why not look at this one.... ???

http://miami.craigslist.org/boa/572749054.html

Lenny, it is one in the same. Thanks for responding guys. As much as I want a blue Donzi project, I think this one is a little over my head. The front seat is a bench if it's worth anything to anyone.

55 Big Twin
02-20-2008, 01:01 PM
handfulz28

What kind of shape was the rest of the boat in??? How were the stringers? Transom? Gas tank?? any soft spots on the deck??? Left or right hand helm? How did the instruments look???

I am sort of in the same mind as you.... Do I want to take on the project or find something a little closer to turn key and avoid all the headaches of a ground up resto!!!

Any more details would be appreciated.

Thanks,

handfulz28
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I didn't look close enough at the stringers nor did I get a good look at the fuel tank or anything like that. It wasn't so far away to just drop by and see it, but I didn't really go to pick it apart. Assume it is bone stock original, untouched, as is. Look at my bilge pic and assume that's the tip of the iceberg.

I'm hardly an expert on fiberglass, wood, or anything like that unless the wood is so bad it's falling off in your hands or I actually step on a deck and fall through. :bonk: But I'll attach the rest of the pics I took so you can see what the next owner is in for.

handfulz28
02-20-2008, 05:05 PM
In the engine hatch photo, the rubber piece sticking up in the corner is just an exhaust donut, for those wondering.

A couple things I can say on the plus side are that the guy has all the cushions including the one for the engine hatch and back seat; the trailer doesn't look like much but it's not all bad-it's got 5k lb/6-bolt hubs, you could convert to bunks, put a new brake system on; a lot of what doesn't look so great would probably clean up with some soap and elbow grease.

It really sucks to see the boat in this condition. Supposedly this boat was won off ebay in the last year for $2,500 sans engine and drive, and trailered from Georgia. The Volvo outdrive being offered isn't the original.

David Hartmann
02-21-2008, 06:58 PM
If anyone is thinking about this boat give me a call. I went and looked at it yesterday. It is really not that bad. some transom rot. I took a bunch of low res pictures with my phone but mostly of the hull.

It is a good project boat and seems like a fair price.

I am only interested in the hull. and have some concern about it being on a roller trailer and before that on blocks.

Does anyone have experiance on weather or not a boat like this may have a deformed hull from this type of handling. It looks and feels ok

David

bootdaddy
02-25-2008, 10:32 AM
I have a very similar 77' Hornet II and swore I would buy another if I ever found one for sale...

For better or worse, I committed to a Sportsman resto and this boat would not be good for my marriage:eek!:

If anybody is interested in this boat, I strongly encourage them to take a shot. I got mine 3 years ago and have tested the hull and original engine and fresh volvo drive to the max in every condition and continue to be extremely impressed...better stop now before I talk myself into this one too!

bootdaddy
03-12-2008, 06:36 PM
just hung up with seller and boat sold to 2 guys in miami beach area going to redo it.

the buyer may have just saved my marriage!