PDA

View Full Version : Slick roads!

MOP
02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
We got us a dusting as the temps were dropping which turned to ice, had way more iron in the ditch or worse. Of the 6 accidents we saw on the way home all were 4X4's, got to give them credit for thinking they are invincible. Why can't they figure out that just because they will get going a bit better they are much worse in turns and stopping. One wreck was on a dead straight road where the guy broke the telephone pole he hit. Two of my friends have body shops they say the 4X4 rage has made them rich! And how many of us put our kids and loved ones in them for safety.

Phil

Ranman
02-13-2008, 08:58 AM
And how many of us put our kids and loved ones in them for safety.
Phil

If I have a choice between being in my F150 or a Prius in a serious accident, I think I'd take the 150. :wink:

I agree that some drivers of SUV's and 4X4s overdrive them in snowy conditions, they usually learn quickly. What drives me nuts is the white knuckled person who will not break 12MPH on the highway when we could easily do 25-30. It took me 3 hours to get home last night because of these jackasses. Some drivers get so frustrated from being held hostage behind these idiots, they eventually do something stupid and dangerous just to get around them. Happens again and again.:mad::mad:

Ed Donnelly
02-13-2008, 09:10 AM
4x4's don't cause accidents.

Right feet cause accidents.

Had a guy roll down his window last night at a stop light..

" It's assholes like you without snowtires that slow down traffic"

I waited for him at the next light..

" Well your truck doesn't have 4x4 decals on it,
so how the hell was I supposed to know??"

God, I love big snowfalls......................Ed

zelatore
02-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Some friends of mine in the Louisville area have been telling me about all the people who couldn't come to work this week because of the 'conditions'.

About 2/3 of the staff didn't come in yesterday. One guy actually sent a picture of his car in the driveway with 2-4" of snow on it as proof of how bad it was. The drive itself and the road beyond were mostly clear. I suggested the management send a letter back with a picture of an ice scraper and a pair of panties and tell him to pick one...

Of the guys who did come to work (6 cars when I talked with him) NONE of the redneck SUVs or trucks made it. My friend's 325 BMW, his boss's C-class, and another guy's TT however did all make it along with some non-descript sedans. No snow tires here, just a little common sense.

Living in Southern Indiana like I did for so long, it's always the places like this that only get 1 or 2 decent snowfalls a year were everybody panics. Go up north toward say Chicago and everybody seems to be just fine.

As for the slower traffic causing such frustration that the guy behind finally can't take it anymore and does something risky, I've been preaching that for years! And not just for bad conditions! There's a reason we have a law that says if you're blocking more than 5 vehicles you're supposed to pull over. Too bad Barney Fife the CHP man doesn’t seem to recognize that part of the law. :mad::mad::mad:

ChromeGorilla
02-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Theres no doubt a 4WD vehichle is prefered for driving in snow...... but what these people tend to overlook is that a 4WD vehichle stops just like a 2WD vehichle does...:doh:

Team Jefe
02-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Theres no doubt a 4WD vehichle is prefered for driving in snow...... but what these people tend to overlook is that a 4WD vehichle stops just like a 2WD vehichle does...:doh:

Heresy....a 4WD vehicle, especailly my One Ton Truck, will stop WAY BETTER on ice than anything you want to name:lookaroun:

4x4's don't cause accidents.
Right feet cause accidents.
Had a guy roll down his window last night at a stop light..
" It's assholes like you without snowtires that slow down traffic"
I waited for him at the next light..
" Well your truck doesn't have 4x4 decals on it,
so how the hell was I supposed to know??"
God, I love big snowfalls......................Ed

even if you take away the snow issue, that conversation would not happen in Texas....at the next light Somebody's gonna get shot:bonk:

just a little common sense.

Not so Common.....Houston is really bad in nasty weather. Its like everyone forgets anything they knew about driving. Sadly, most of them don't know much to begin with.

Rootsy
02-13-2008, 12:05 PM
4 wheel drive just gets you into trouble 4 times faster than 2 wheel drive on icy roads... leave it in 2 wheel so you can have some form of steering control eh.

zelatore
02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
4 wheel drive just gets you into trouble 4 times faster than 2 wheel drive on icy roads... leave it in 2 wheel so you can have some form of steering control eh.

I once got my Lightning stuck on a snowy road - not hard to do with wide performance tires. I had a local farmer help pull it out. He had an old beat up 1-ton chevy with a few old wheels and other junk in the back for weight and a plow on the front. Where my wide summer tires were 'floating' on the snow and spinning helplessly, his tall, thin farm-truck tires cut through and got a bite. He pretty much just idled along and pulled me out. To save face (hey, my truck must have been worth 5 times what his was...) I made some comment about well, with 4wd... his response? "I don't need 4wd to pull that thing out". Oops. Score: old farmer guy - 1; young hot rod guy - 0

Carl C
02-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I've never needed 4WD in Michigan. I've never gotten a truck stuck where I couldn't rock it out. 4WD is for off roading and really steep launch ramps. JMO:smash:

Team Jefe
02-13-2008, 04:41 PM
4WD is for off roading and really steep launch ramps. JMO:smash:

The ramp is my justification for owning one...If I didn't have that excuse, I'd own one anyway...I just like the way they sit and ride better:yes:

I've never had the Mega Cab on ice, but the F-350 surely didn't like it...maybe it was the 315 Nitto's:nilly:

Tony
02-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Heresy....a 4WD vehicle, especailly my One Ton Truck, will stop WAY BETTER on ice than anything you want to name

Sorry, TJ, I'm siding with Chromey on this one.
It seems to me that ABS is ABS for stopping ability on ice...4WD vs. 2WD for stopping is a non-factor.
Maybe the weight, or the more aggressive tires, helps your truck stop better in foul weather.

:beer:

Team Jefe
02-14-2008, 06:28 AM
Tony - I was kidding, the only thing that may slide more on Ice than the Mega Cab is an 18-wheeler. The F-350 was like riding a rhino on ice.:nilly:

The upside is like Ranman said...I got lots of steel around me to cushion the impact:eek!:

Now on Dry roads....that Dually corners like a sports car...I was really suprised how well it does.

gcarter
02-14-2008, 07:32 AM
In the winter of '72 or '73, it snowed three times in Houston and as far south as Corpus. Terrible conditions. All I had at the time was an old MGB. With all the ice on the road (do you think Houston would have anything for ice?????) the MG would not accelerate, corner, or stop. One of the scariest times of my life was going to lunch one day on NASA Rd. 1. The road curved to the right down near Seabrook and the MG just kept going straight (I sure didn't have anything to do with it), I missed all the oncoming traffic and ended up on the sidewalk on the far side of the road. I guess skinny tires don't do much on ice.

zelatore
02-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Generally speaking, on ice not much helps short of dedicated tires.

In modest snow, a skinny tire is better than a wide tire as it cuts through and gets traction on the underlying surface.

In deep snow, a wide tire (preferably aired down) provides flotation and keeps the vehicle from sinking to it’s frame.

But beyond that tread design and construction is by far the biggest consideration. Even without studs, a really good winter tire is amazing, where any summer type tire is truly hopeless.

Lots of sipes (cutting edges), large voids that clear easily, and a compound that stays flexible in the cold are keys.

I remember several years ago when the Tire Rack of South Bend, IN set up a winter tire autocross and did other winter testing like skidpad, acceleration, and deceleration on an ice rink. They said even on the ice they were able to get some of the most aggressive tires howling in the corners.

For examples, check out the Bridgestone Blizzak or some of the Hakapalita (sp?) tires.
(I figure if anybody knows how to make a good snow and ice tire, it should be the Finns...)

Here’s some interesting reading on the subject of driver’s aids vs. dedicated tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=122

Donziweasel
02-14-2008, 10:21 AM
I run a Maxxis Bighorn studded AND siped. My F-350 handles like a formula one race car in the snow and ice. The only problem is that no one elses car/truck handles like mine. While I am comfortable at lets say 55-60 mph, most other vehicles can not run even half as fast. Kinda frustrating, but it is nice to have the traction. Put it in 4wd in November and it stays there till April.