PDA

View Full Version : 28 ZXO Opinion

reddonzi1
02-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I am looking at purchasing a 2001 ZXO with twin 350 mags, primany use will be as a family boat. I want performance wife wants bow rider. Does anyone have experience with this boat ? I am concerened about using the boat for sking, tubing etc... what kind of fuel consumption can I expect? I know it will use more than my current 24' w/350 mag but I dont want burn 50 gal. on a saturday.

chappy
02-11-2008, 03:49 PM
How big is the family?

reddonzi1
02-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Just four but we usually have a few others with us.

chappy
02-11-2008, 08:05 PM
No experience with that boat, but here's a test of a 28 foot Sea Ray with twin 350's. It tests different drive types, be sure to look at Stern. The charts down a bit have fuel consumption comparisons. The Sea Ray looks a lot chubbier than the Donzi, but it may be a good starting point.
http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56224
Hope this helps.

fasttrucker
02-12-2008, 11:54 AM
We have two of them here on the chesapeake bay.They are a little slower then the closed deck,but your not going to sleep in it.

gcarter
02-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Elaine and I rode in the bow of one on a Sunday afternoon on 'Sota bay several years ago, 3' chop, 70 MPH, VERY comfortable.
It had two Scorpions in it. Killer boat. The hard part was crawling through the mid-cabin.

Morgan's Cloud
02-12-2008, 12:44 PM
+ + The hard part was crawling through the mid-cabin. + +
When exiting the 'cabin' the hard edges on the steps will , if they catch you on the shins , bring tears to your eyes .

VetteLT193
02-13-2008, 07:55 AM
here's a short article about it: http://www.boatingmag.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=132

The only thing that concerns me is the planing speed in regards to skiiing. Tubing will be no problem, but wake boarding, skiing, etc usually needs a boat that will hop right on plane. Not sure if any 28 footer will be that great of an option.

fasttrucker
02-16-2008, 01:57 PM
here's a short article about it: http://www.boatingmag.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=132
The only thing that concerns me is the planing speed in regards to skiiing. Tubing will be no problem, but wake boarding, skiing, etc usually needs a boat that will hop right on plane. Not sure if any 28 footer will be that great of an option.
Not a ski boat.

LKSD
02-17-2008, 02:13 PM
I am looking at purchasing a 2001 ZXO with twin 350 mags, primany use will be as a family boat. I want performance wife wants bow rider. Does anyone have experience with this boat ? I am concerened about using the boat for sking, tubing etc... what kind of fuel consumption can I expect? I know it will use more than my current 24' w/350 mag but I dont want burn 50 gal. on a saturday.

It is a great boat no doubt. However it really is not intended as a family ski boat eventhough it can pull a skier.. It's main purpose is to be a performance boat that can accomodate more people & have some more lounge space. it isnt really designed with the intent to take the place of a large Malibu or Mastercraft..

Also not to be an A$$, but are you serious about fuel consumption? It is not a 4 cylinder bayliner. It has twin small blocks in a 28' boat. It isn't exaclty going to sip the fuel. If that is an issue you may want to consider a different boat with a single engine cause if you are doing some boating especially skiing, 50 bucks will go like 50 cents!..

I hope I have helped, My intent wasnt to be a jerk. It was to give you a straight answer.. :) Jamie

synack
02-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I've had a 22ZX and now a 28ZX. Neither one is really suited well to pull tubes/skiers/etc. The rear sits really low in the water and the boats are really meant to go fast. When you go slow, they tend to plow through the water...a LOT.

I'd recommend that you still get the ZXO..as it's an awesome boat. You and everyone around you will love it. If you wanna tube, etc... go on your friend's boat.

reddonzi1
02-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks to all who offered comments on the ZXO. No offense taken on the "A$$" comment I know its a bit of a stupid question but i have never owned a boat wtih twins before and really was just curious. I am planning to move forward with the purchase if I can sell my Caravelle Interceptor.

synack
02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
So what happens if the front cover peels off at 70 mph? :wink: