PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat Color

KerrLake
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
I called Minicraft to order gelcoat to repair nicks, a couple deep scratches and a crack at the swim platform. They told me I needed to call Donzi to find out what colors are on the boat because they don't have the best luck with Donzi themselves. So I call Donzi and the guy tells me they can't help me, they have no records from OMC era. Any suggestions on how to find out what gel colors I have??
Hull # DMR25017K586

cutwater
02-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Pictures?

gcarter
02-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Stripe or deck???
If your deck, or hull color, maybe you could send me your center hatch or something. They'll match it for $75.00 and give you a stock #. My office is ten miles from them, in fact I'm going by there in a few minutes.

KerrLake
02-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't have any pieces I can take off. I'll post pictures maybe someone knows. I wonder how close I could get with an automotive color match system, or is that a bad idea??
I was surprised how quickly they blew me off at Donzi. I guess they only care about the new boats.

**Warning large pictures**

gcarter
02-11-2008, 09:46 PM
So is it the navy blue, or the white you need???
These were the same colors as the Minx was.
For the white, Minicraft has a color called Classic White that was almost universally used in those days. I used a lot of the patch paste in that color to repair 30 or 40 dings in the deck. The color isn't exact, but you will never be able to tell it.
I painted the Navy Blue on my Minx, only because it already was when I bought it. I buffed through the paint on the stripe on the engine hatch and I had an automotive paint store match the original gel. But I'm pretty confident you'll find that Minicraft's AT133 Navy Blue is a match for that year. After all, they only used the one color for twenty years.
https://www.minicraft.com/retail/donzimarine.htm

I hope this helps.

VetteLT193
02-12-2008, 08:49 AM
I don't have any pieces I can take off. I'll post pictures maybe someone knows. I wonder how close I could get with an automotive color match system, or is that a bad idea??
I was surprised how quickly they blew me off at Donzi. I guess they only care about the new boats.

**Warning large pictures**

Donzi isn't helpful to us with older boats, I had the same experience with them.

Your blue looks like it's been painted. Are you sure the blue is gel?

KerrLake
02-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks George. I need white and blue. I am repairing a crack a the swim platform also. I will add glass on the inside of the boat as it is a weak spot. Should I use putty to fill the outside before gel or something else?? I am sanding the entire boat with 600 grit going up to 1000 then 1500 before buffing, wo I am

The boat is still gel coat. The stripe on the bow has been clear coated by the previous owner. Good eyes Vette.
Thanks alot.
Brian

gcarter
02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks George. I need white and blue. I am repairing a crack a the swim platform also. I will add glass on the inside of the boat as it is a weak spot. Should I use putty to fill the outside before gel or something else?? I am sanding the entire boat with 600 grit going up to 1000 then 1500 before buffing, wo I am

The boat is still gel coat. The stripe on the bow has been clear coated by the previous owner. Good eyes Vette.
Thanks alot.
Brian
The ideal situation is to grind the bottom side to remove all of the damaged glass (in an ideal world). Then layup glass to replace the removed glass. This is a hard, unpleasant, thankless job. The amount of repair to the topside, or outside, should be at a minimum. If you can't grind all the way through from the bottom, you can use putty. Fill it, the putty, w/glass strands, also available from Minicraft.