PDA

View Full Version : Another windshield thread - 22 Classic

mjw930
02-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Although some will call it sacrilege I'm thinking about replacing my crazed '87 windshield with the current edition windscreen. Whether mine works better is irrelevant, I think the new one looks better.

So, where would the best place to get one be, Donzi or does someone in the aftermarket have a pattern AND how many $$$$$ and I looking at?

MOP
02-10-2008, 10:11 PM
You will miss being able to wear a hat at 60, plus I think one tends to get bald faster with the new style:shocking: But it does look a lot sexier:cool:

VetteLT193
02-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Get a ride before you buy. The new ones really blow. :doh:

Carl C
02-11-2008, 07:54 AM
This aluminum air dam was a big factor in my deciding on this boat. I'm not sure if it will fit an '87 but I bet you could buy one from Donzi. I clamp on "Wind-aways" for cooler days and longer cruises. Look closely at the starboard side and you'll see one. They go on and off in seconds. Mop, I wish I could find a hat that would stay on because after a high speed run I look like a cross between boxing promoter Don King and Larry of the 3 stooges!:troll:

MOP
02-11-2008, 08:03 AM
To quote Carl C: Mop, I wish I could find a hat that would stay on because after a high speed run I look like a cross between boxing promoter Don King and Larry of the 3 stooges!

It is very hard to beat the old style windshields, although Kenny (Minxguy) found the windshield deflector that helps.

mjw930
02-11-2008, 08:17 AM
That does look sweet but part of the problem is my wife is short and looks through the windscreen where I look over it. If I did an aluminum faring she would be really pissed ;)

I think with either something from http://www.laminarlip.com/index.php or http://www.windaway.com/index.html I can deal with the hat issue ;)

Ok, now how much $$$$ for a factory shield?

mjw930
02-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Worst case, I could take the center insert out and have a replacement made...... I just like the look of the new screen better.

p729lws
02-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Make yourself a set of these. It makes a night and day difference.

Dan

Carl C
02-11-2008, 03:17 PM

Dan Is that a light in the horn hole?? Is there one on the port side too? :hijack:

p729lws
02-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Is that a light in the horn hole?? Is there one on the port side too? :hijack:

Yep, docking lights on both sides. I don't boat at night so I have no idea how well they work.

Dan

DudeHoss
02-12-2008, 10:28 AM
I have a new style windshield on my 06 22 Classic. I and it cracked so I'm about to have my second windshield on the boat and it 2 years old. I had the new windshield made of acrylite this time but it would have never cracked if it had a frame on it. The grass is always greener. I'd stick with your windshield but Guillermo USA Marine Windows can fabricate your new windshield affordably.

MY Crappy advise is always free:

I'd keep the windshield you have!

RedDog
02-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Dan

How are you deflectors attached? Are they easily removable?

What are they made of?

VetteLT193
02-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Worst case, I could take the center insert out and have a replacement made...... I just like the look of the new screen better.

That may be a good plan, all the screw holes will line up for sure then too.

I really suggest getting a ride in one without those little BS tabs. I ride my Harley with no shield and it doesn't bother me, but a 22 with the standard shield seems to direct all the wind right at my face. To me it's worse than no shield at all.

Carl C
02-12-2008, 12:40 PM
That may be a good plan, all the screw holes will line up for sure then too.

I really suggest getting a ride in one without those little BS tabs. I ride my Harley with no shield and it doesn't bother me, but a 22 with the standard shield seems to direct all the wind right at my face. To me it's worse than no shield at all. The Aluminum air dam also blasts the wind into your face but it feels good on a hot day. That's why I went with removable wind-aways and they are only on about 25% of the time. mjw, if you have the SS frame windshield I think that is a lot more desireable than the new ones. Just fix it.

mjw930
02-12-2008, 01:06 PM
I may simply replace the center section as that's the one that's the most discolored and crazed.

Anyway, prices please, I'd like to get an idea so I can prioritize this with the other things.

BUIZILLA
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
we have a guy down here, that I am CERTAIN, can make anything you want...

Jamesbon
02-12-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm partial to the stainless windshield you have. I would replace the "lexan" with new material.

p729lws,
Please disclose details of how you mounted your wind deflectors.

The Windaway product looks fine, but isn't there mounting issues in conjunction with the stainless windshield frame?

I have one I fabbed up and fastened with velcro. With a bunch of towels stuffed under for extra support, it stays on 5 minutes above 50 or on rough seas.... A pain in the a$$. However, it's like night and day when it's up. Like the rest of you, without it, the wind blasts me right in the face and my ear drums ache after a day of "propwash."

mjw930
02-13-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm partial to the stainless windshield you have. I would replace the "lexan" with new material.

p729lws,

The Windaway product looks fine, but isn't there mounting issues in conjunction with the stainless windshield frame?

I have one I fabbed up and fastened with velcro. With a bunch of towels stuffed under for extra support, it stays on 5 minutes above 50 or on rough seas.... A pain in the a$$. However, it's like night and day when it's up. Like the rest of you, without it, the wind blasts me right in the face and my ear drums ache after a day of "propwash."

I don't have the SS framed windshield, mine is 3 piece plexiglass with the 2 deflectors.

I've never had a windshield that really worked on a performance boat and since it's usually quite hot down here in FL I've never felt the need to be out of the wind stream. So far the one that's on the boat is OK but that little flip doesn't really accomplish anything.

I have 2 calls out to see what's involved, one is to a Donzi dealer who called the company and they are looking into whether the new screen will fit the '87.

I really wanted to get an idea of what kind of money I'm talking about but it seems no one here has ever replaced a windscreen since no one has chimed in with what it cost them.......

Carl C
02-13-2008, 09:51 AM

my ear drums ache after a day of "propwash."The windaway clamps are adjustable and I think they work with the thicker frame. Some folks here don't like them; I like mine a lot. A sports headband pulled down over the ears solves the earache/damage problem.

VetteLT193
02-13-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't have the SS framed windshield, mine is 3 piece plexiglass with the 2 deflectors.

I've never had a windshield that really worked on a performance boat and since it's usually quite hot down here in FL I've never felt the need to be out of the wind stream. So far the one that's on the boat is OK but that little flip doesn't really accomplish anything.

I have 2 calls out to see what's involved, one is to a Donzi dealer who called the company and they are looking into whether the new screen will fit the '87.

I really wanted to get an idea of what kind of money I'm talking about but it seems no one here has ever replaced a windscreen since no one has chimed in with what it cost them.......

Check this thread, lists a place in our neck of the woods (sort of) and has prices (sort of)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51577

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51509

mjw930
02-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Ok, now I'm starting to get some info and it's counter intuitive.

Donzi will sell me (through a dealer so there's probably some markup) either the aluminum framed windshield or the new plexiglass version. Here's the strange part, the Aluminum framed window is CHEAPER than the unframed plexiglass (or whatever the material is).

Plexiglass = $2675
Aluminum = $1541

I should probably call Donzi direct and price it out since paying a dealer to handle the paperwork is somewhat foolish.

I also found a shop in S. Florida, http://www.updplastics.com/ that has an '88 shield in their shop to price out a replacement. He sent me pictures to confirm it's the same shield and I expect to get prices tomorrow.

I'm still in shock on the unframed price but I suppose it uses a more expensive material and it has curves molded into it where the framed shield uses flat stock.

p729lws
02-14-2008, 08:38 PM
p729lws,

Nate,
Mine are through bolted to the windshield frame. The deflector is a "bent" piece of plexi. I'll get some photos on Saturday.
Dan

mjw930
02-15-2008, 07:37 AM
UPD Plastics reply:

Center piece is 225.00. Three piece is 525.00. Please keep in mind that if you only order the center piece I cannot guarantee that the color will match.

Thanks,
John

p729lws
02-17-2008, 09:52 PM
p729lws,

Here you go.

VetteLT193
02-18-2008, 04:57 PM
FYI: The plexi used on the unframed shield is much thicker than the framed shield. I'm sure that's the price difference.

mjw930
02-18-2008, 06:54 PM
FYI: The plexi used on the unframed shield is much thicker than the framed shield. I'm sure that's the price difference.

From what I heard its a combination of material cost and labor. It supposedly takes twice as long to mold and fabricate the unframed shield.

Regardless, I'm not paying 5 times the price just so it can ship from the Donzi factory........

Donzigo
02-21-2008, 08:24 AM
I just bought and have installed a windsheild for my 1989 33ft Donzi Z-boat, from John at UDC Plastics in Dania, Florida (near Ft, Lauderdale). He did the job at the agreed price of $550 and it fits perfectly. Nice guy too. He even gave me a drill bit for the installation and rubber grommets. I called back for some technical advice and he responded quickly. He does 90 % of his business by his website and ships wherever UPS & FEDEX services.