PDA

View Full Version : Man, I'm in deep doo doo now

mjw930
02-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I found a site that lists the block information on Chevy motors based on block castings. http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm

I've always been lead to believe that the 7.4L motor (not the 454 Mag) were all 2 bolt mains. WRONG!

While it's true these have the peanut heads (worthless) and a cast crank, rods and pistons, it would seem that my motor, casting #10237297 is a 4 bolt......

Casting #...Disp......Year......Block, Details
10237297...454.......96-up...4-bolt, Vortec 7400", "L-29" Gen.VI

The reason I'm in deep doo doo is because now I don't have any excuse to not build the motor I have. This could get expensive, don't tell the wife :hangum:

mjw930
02-10-2008, 05:26 PM
This was the last 4 bolt main 454 I had built. Ya think something like this would run well in a 22 Classic :eek!:

What's really sweet is the motor retains the Mercury serial plate. (those who pay tons for insurance will understand)

mjw930
02-10-2008, 07:19 PM
That's why it's hidden in the bilge ;)

Ranman
02-11-2008, 08:48 AM
What's really sweet is the motor retains the Mercury serial plate. (those who pay tons for insurance will understand)

Reading between the lines suggests that you use the serial plate to mis-represent the actual output of the engine. Doing this voids your insurance policy. When you need to make a "big" claim, they will look for any reason to deny it. As soon as they determine that the boat was modified and had significantly more HP than stated (and they will find out), you're SOL. If you're worring about the high cost, stop paying the premiums because you're not covered anyway, at least in this scenario.

BlownCrewCab
02-11-2008, 10:26 AM
We used that same block with a good ratating assembly and big chief heads when we raced Offshore "A" class, and spun it 5500-6000rpm for an hour at a time, the rods are the key. I'd skimp on a crank before I'd skimp on rods...I have spit more oil out the bilge pump than the Exxon Valdez from throwing rods.

mjw930
02-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Reading between the lines suggests that you use the serial plate to mis-represent the actual output of the engine. Doing this voids your insurance policy. When you need to make a "big" claim, they will look for any reason to deny it. As soon as they determine that the boat was modified and had significantly more HP than stated (and they will find out), you're SOL. If you're worring about the high cost, stop paying the premiums because you're not covered anyway, at least in this scenario.

Ok, don't get your panties in an uproar. When doing a rebuild and installing some mild upgrades it's a whole lot easier to simply tell the insurance company that we've rebuilt the motor and added some HP rather than explain a crate motor.

I never implied fraud, just that it's easier to get them on the same page when you aren't throwing too many variables at them.

mjw930
02-11-2008, 11:28 AM
We used that same block with a good ratating assembly and big chief heads when we raced Offshore "A" class, and spun it 5500-6000rpm for an hour at a time, the rods are the key. I'd skimp on a crank before I'd skimp on rods...I have spit more oil out the bilge pump than the Exxon Valdez from throwing rods.

Agreed, as long as the crank is in good shape all I would really thing about doing would be rods and pistons. For a reasonable amount of money it's pretty easy to build a 400 - 450 HP motor with a mild cam, better heads and some good forged rods and pistons.

I could go crazy and shoot for 550HP but then I have drive and hull strength issues that drive the price up.

Ranman
02-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Ok, don't get your panties in an uproar. When doing a rebuild and installing some mild upgrades it's a whole lot easier to simply tell the insurance company that we've rebuilt the motor and added some HP rather than explain a crate motor.

I never implied fraud, just that it's easier to get them on the same page when you aren't throwing too many variables at them.

Ha ha! Dude! Where did you learn your cliches? My panties might get in a "wad" or a "bunch", but an "uproar"? Lame. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Too many people lie to insurance companies about the 100MPH blown big block they're running stating it's a 65MPH stocker in an attempt to get lower rates only to find out that once they finally pull the boat out of someone's living room their claim was denied due to their little discovery. My sentiment is that you gotta pay to play. Misrepresenting the facts regarding hardware voids ones insurance so there's no point in misrepersenting. If you're using the plate to help relay accurate info, great. If your using it to hide the truth, I say it's not worth the risk.

Honestly, I couldn't care less what you tell your insurance company, I was just trying to give you some advice, but it sounds like you've got it covered. It's your ass that's on the line so good luck with that. :propeller:

mjw930
02-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I guess I should have put a ;) beside that statement, it was made in jest, no reason to call me out......

I'm reasonably confident that many who upgrade their motors never communicate that fact to the insurance company, I always have.

OTOH, insurance adjusters look out for the best interest of their insurance companies. If my boat sinks at the dock or gets stolen or some other situation where the additional HP has no bearing on the claim then it's a whole lot easier when the motor still has the Merc PN plate. Trust me, I speak from experience.

I've seen both sides of the argument. One was so bad that because the person put in a crate motor, which BTW didn't increase the boat's speed, the insurance company initially refused a damage claim because of an undocumented repower saying the performance had been improved with absolutely no proof of that aside from a different motor SN. This was even AFTER he told the agent the boat had a new motor when he renewed the policy. It took arbitration for him to get paid.

On another claim, this time a sunk boat (outdrive ripped off by floating log) where he had the original block but had done what I'm considering, a mild rebuild. The only thing the adjuster wouldn't cover were the CMI's and the billet accessory mounts.

Ranman
02-12-2008, 08:55 AM
I guess I should have put a ;) beside that statement, it was made in jest, no reason to call me out......

I'm reasonably confident that many who upgrade their motors never communicate that fact to the insurance company, I always have.

OTOH, insurance adjusters look out for the best interest of their insurance companies. If my boat sinks at the dock or gets stolen or some other situation where the additional HP has no bearing on the claim then it's a whole lot easier when the motor still has the Merc PN plate. Trust me, I speak from experience.

I've seen both sides of the argument. One was so bad that because the person put in a crate motor, which BTW didn't increase the boat's speed, the insurance company initially refused a damage claim because of an undocumented repower saying the performance had been improved with absolutely no proof of that aside from a different motor SN. This was even AFTER he told the agent the boat had a new motor when he renewed the policy. It took arbitration for him to get paid.

On another claim, this time a sunk boat (outdrive ripped off by floating log) where he had the original block but had done what I'm considering, a mild rebuild. The only thing the adjuster wouldn't cover were the CMI's and the billet accessory mounts.

Agreed! :biggrin.:

Interestig point on the repower. Sounds like the Ins Co just assumes it's been modified to increase speed or performance. This supports my position that it is criticaly important to be honest since they're always looking for a way to deny. Fortunatly, he was paid out in the end.

SilverBack
02-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Who do you guys have insurance with? I have State Farm on everything that I own and I modify everything that I own. I have never had a problem at all. In fact they always have payed to replace my modifications 100%. I guess from listening to you it sounds like I have been very lucky!!

mjw930
02-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Who do you guys have insurance with? I have State Farm on everything that I own and I modify everything that I own. I have never had a problem at all. In fact they always have payed to replace my modifications 100%. I guess from listening to you it sounds like I have been very lucky!!

I had State Farm for ever but they pissed me off when I moved over to the coast so I'm now spread around 4 different companies. I'm with Allstate on the boat, Esurance on the cars, Geico on the motorcycles and ASI for the house.

SilverBack
02-13-2008, 08:23 PM
State Farm pissed me off after Katrina but other than that they have been great.

mjw930
02-13-2008, 09:33 PM
State Farm pissed me off after Katrina but other than that they have been great.

They were always great on claims, wrote me a check on the spot after a tornado ripped the roof off my house in TX but when I moved from Orlando to the Daytona Beach area they flat out told me they wouldn't write anything but the basic house coverage and I'd have to go into the public pool with citizens for the windstorm coverage. On top of that their quote was an insult. After that they wanted to raise my car insurance 10% for the move and that's what put a fork in it. I had been with them for over 20 years!

When I added up what they wanted for the house plus the jacked car insurance and the motorcycle insurance I ended up saving over $2000 / year by parting the coverage out.