PDA

View Full Version : Marine Battery Recommendations

SMLAKER
02-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm sure everyone has their favorite but was wondering what folks might recommend for a Mercruiser 5.7 Mag and a dual battery setup. Everyone is talking about the new gel batteries but are they worth it? Climate and Season could be a factor so I should probably mention this is a Mid-Atlantic region.

Should I go to sears and get 2 standard $99 Diehard Marine batteries or .... Drop $180 on a single Optima?

Thanks

mjw930
02-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Best bang for the buck is the Exide XXHD-M-24 if you need the class 24 or smaller size battery. It has 800 CCA and 1000 CA and you can usually find them in the $79 range.

gcarter
02-10-2008, 04:17 PM
I bought my marine batteries at either Sam's or WalMart. They cost about $60.00 and they have a two or three year replacement warranty. You know, lack of use kills these things faster than anything. Also, there's a WalMart around every corner for that free replacement.
I do the same w/all my personal and company vehicles. I never have to be w/o a good battery.

Pismo
02-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Big Die-Hards, last one lasted 11 seasons, this one 9 (now in a car). I live in northern NY where batteries last much longer. Regardless, these lasted the longest of many brands I have owned. Most were 1-4 seasons max.

mjw930
02-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names.

Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.

Bottom line, you can go to AutoZone or Advance/Discount Auto and but the same Diehard battery for about 30% less.

I looked all around and the Exide marine with 800 CCA is the most powerful size 24 battery for under $100.

fasttrucker
02-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Here in M.D.My Boat was in his shop for major engine upgrading and needed new batterys to buy the best ones.He bought "BEST BATTERYS"...Good price and I think a local company.

MOP
02-11-2008, 08:00 AM
I noticed your either or as to one or two batteries, go with two you cannot beat having a reserve if a problem arises.

Phil

Team Jefe
02-11-2008, 12:51 PM
I too need to look into batteries. Mine have been in for 4 season, Interstate with 950CCA. I am looking at Optimas.

Regardless of brand, one thing is for sure, you can never have too much battery.....hearing that sick sound of "click, click, click,click" will make yopu wish you have spent the money on a GREAT battery.

I don't know what that is yet, but for me its not just a battery. it is part of my life line back home from the angry sea.

ky-donzi
02-11-2008, 12:58 PM
I've got a single red top optima. I'm not sure what the real difference between marine grade (yellow top I believe) and the red top.... reguardless I'm going with dual batteries before summer. Any comments about yellow top vs red?

Pismo
02-11-2008, 01:03 PM
I always go group 27 or 29.

gcarter
02-11-2008, 02:15 PM
The price I quoted above is for group 27.
Actually, that's what fits the built in battery box of '70's and '80's vintage.

mjw930
02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
The price I quoted above is for group 27.
Actually, that's what fits the built in battery box of '70's and '80's battery boxes.

The previous owner moved the batteries to a box mounted between the stringers just forward of the motor, you can only get 2 group 24's side by side and only after you grind off the integrated carry straps..... Thank goodness for the old standby terminal lifting straps or I would never have gotten them in or out. They are held down with the strip of wood that goes over the rear. Everything is glassed and painted and actually looks a lot better then this picture shows.

If you can do group 27 then that's that way to go.

My next project is to replace the 6 gauge leads to the motor with 2 gauge. The motor cranks slowly at first, even on 2 good batteries so it's time to do the cables and clean all the contact points. The shop that rigged this back in 1999 used 1/0 between the batteries and the switch then left the 6 gauge to the motor. Kind of bass akwards if you ask me.

gcarter
02-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Well, according to your picture, you still have the original group 27 box between the stringers.
Several years ago, someone posted a picture of a long skinny tractor battery fit into a custom made SST bracket between the stringers. I think it was used as a starting battery. It looked like it would do the job.

mjw930
02-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Well, according to your picture, you still have the original group 27 box between the stringers.
Several years ago, someone posted a picture of a long skinny tractor battery fit into a custom made SST bracket between the stringers. I think it was used as a starting battery. It looked like it would do the job.

Yes, I do but that's now extra storage for tools and such.