PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard boats...

Tony
02-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Man, has this sport come a long way. When we were growing up we thought the latest new technology, the barefoot boom, was for sissies! If I were young again I would be all over this stuff.

Consider the following boats, highlighted in the Wakeboarding Boat Buyers Guide.
(p.s...and some people say Donzis are expensive.)

The Epic 23V, (http://epicboats.com/) with a 4,000 lb. ballast system! The dry weight of the boat is only 3,200 lbs, it's powered by a 375 hp Volvo 8.1L, and it has 16 speakers and 20 cupholders. $72,500

The Mastercraft X-80, (http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=viewDab&series=x&boat=ms280x80sts.08) with TWIN Indmar LY6 400 hp engines! At 28' 3" loa, 9' wide, and 6,200 lbs dry, it has a capacity of 15 people. A pic in the review (see below) shows two dudes wakesurfing...no towline necessary! $118,440

The MB Sports F23 Tomcat (http://mbsports.net/model_view.asp?model=f23tomcat) has a picklefork bow and a bimini built into the tower. Twin 1,200 lb. tanks run the length of the boat, with lots of anodized accessories and billeted touches. $68,900

:beer:

Carl C
02-09-2008, 06:25 AM
:nilly:WTF is a Malibu doing in Powerboat magazine? :censored:The Wakesetter 23 LSV lists for almost $78,000 w/power upgrade and the top speed is a whopping 44 mph!:eek!::eek!: That'll get the adrenaline flowing!:rolleyes: I love to ski and have tried boarding but it is boring because of the slow speed. :lame:I ski at the men's tournament speed of about 37 mph and hit near 70 on a hard cut, now that's fun. :)What really seems funny is people taking ski boats and trying to turn them into wake boats:doh:. Duh, ski boats are designed to make a minimal wake. Wakeboats in Powerboat and bowriders and deckboats in Hot Boat, sheeesh:screwy:. I'm adding Trailer Boats and Boating to my scrips.:clap:

DONZI
02-09-2008, 09:00 AM
My brother- inlaw has the bigger Nautique. It takes a day just to learn all gadget's. Ballast tank's.dash heater,cruise control,etc.etc. We had a blast on it !
http://www.nautiques.com/OurBoats/Crossover/236.aspx

The new thing is Surfing.:) here's one of the Nephews. I tried and failed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgubSCmGslM

Donziweasel
02-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Carl, wakeboard and ski boats are not meant to run fast, they are geared to pull. I have a freind with a new Tige'. It has the wake plate system. Drop it and big wakeboard wake, pull it up, and flat ski wake. It does both remarkably well as I like to ski and Boo Boo is a wakeboarder. I think the term "wakeboard" boat is misleading. None of them create a big wake without ballast or a wake plate. When they are not utilizing the systems, they are fine for skiing.

My 16 has well over 325 hp. Runs over 57 at this altitude. Drags me half way down the lake before I get up on a slalom ski. Even with a different prop, it would never pull me up as fast as my buddy's Tige'.

Carl C
02-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Carl, wakeboard and ski boats are not meant to run fast, they are geared to pull. I have a freind with a new Tige'. It has the wake plate system. Drop it and big wakeboard wake, pull it up, and flat ski wake. It does both remarkably well as I like to ski and Boo Boo is a wakeboarder. I think the term "wakeboard" boat is misleading. None of them create a big wake without ballast or a wake plate. When they are not utilizing the systems, they are fine for skiing.

My 16 has well over 325 hp. Runs over 57 at this altitude. Drags me half way down the lake before I get up on a slalom ski. Even with a different prop, it would never pull me up as fast as my buddy's Tige'. I know, DW. I used to ski behind a friends Mastercraft and another friend now owns a Malibu ski boat. He put a strap on wake tower on it and rubber ballast tanks at the back behind the motor. Now you can barely move in it and I can't ski behind it good anymore. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but ski boats are BORING and a sterndrive wake boat with max offered power should exceed 44 mph with the power wedge raised for 78 G. All JMHO although I think I'm gonna get slammed now...:nilly::tase::hangum:

Donziweasel
02-10-2008, 09:39 AM
No one is going to slam you. My buddies is 22 ft and has the 320 horse engine. It runs 44 at this altitude. It has a 400 horse option that would probably push it to upper 40's, maybe 50. His is a V-drive. Lots of room and a nice family boat. The one problem with these types of boats is that anything over a 2ft chop and you will be in traction for a while. They do not handle the rough stuff at all. Seen them almost sink when the wind comes up and the lake gets rough. They are good at what they do, but are very limited in that is all they really do well.

Tony
02-10-2008, 10:31 AM
We've had 4 barefooters behind my brother's '85 Ski Nautique...it never missed a beat and held the exact same speed as before we stepped off. We've also surfed behind it, loading the rear with people and, once locked in to the wake, we would toss the rope into the boat.

One point of my post is to point out the innovation these boats are utilizing. Ballast is pretty straightforward, but some of the "wake-plates" and "thrust-directers" are pretty creative. One method is to divert the prop thrust upward thereby driving the stern lower. The Epic 23V linked above has 4,000 lbs. of ballast potential...that's as much as my whole boat weighs!
Cruise control, killer sound systems, built-in coolers, cupholders...all the bells and whistles...kind of fun.

To each his own but...if I was young, lived on a lake, and had a wealthy dad...I would be having a blast with this sport!

:beer:

Donziweasel
02-10-2008, 03:02 PM
I agree, if I lived on a lake I would have one and a Donzi. They have really come a long way. My buddies uses the wake plate. It is like a trim tab, but is in the middle of the boat and streches about half way accross. It has a switch and guage like a trim tab. Drop it, the nose of the boat plows and make a big wake. Bring it up, and flat wake. I tried trimming the boat with it for rough water, but it didn't really help. It seems this system is becoming more popular than the ballast. It is easier and not as much stuff to go wrong like holding tanks (which also take up room), pumps, and the time to fill and unfill the ballast. His even has a heater hose you can direct hot air to. I put it in my wetsuit and wallah, warm wetsuit. Since he has one, I will stick to my Donzi for now.:wink:

You are also right, it seems to go the same speed with or without towing. Goes 44 with me behind it skiing or with me in it.

One thing about it that bothers me is you can't really beach a inboard or V-drive without a very steep pitched beach.

Carl C
02-10-2008, 06:14 PM
It's for sure a pleasure to ski behind a tournament ski boat but like you guys said, they do that well and that's all they do well. The wake boats were just a matter of time but I'm also surprised at the monster 80G boats. I guess if all I wanted to do was ski or board and party I would like them. My 80+ mph hydrostream had a bass boat ski pylon and a wake better than a ski boat. Hole shot sucked w/the big 200 OB. I haven't skied behind the Donzi yet because I'm afraid to let people drive it; They are a trip to drive. Just 2 cents.:woot: