PDA

View Full Version : Will the fastest boat at AOTH be a Classic or a Z?

SilverBack
02-08-2008, 09:00 PM
This is my first year to go to AOTH. I have been reading about all kinds of sandbagging going on. Do you guys actually open them up at AOTH?? I can't wait to see some fast Donzi boats!! I know Connie is going to be the fastest boat there but as far as far as Donzi's go what kind of Donzi is the fastest at AOTH? I hope I am not starting anything, I am just really curious!!

roadtrip se
02-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Do you guys actually open them up at AOTH?? I can't wait to see some fast Donzi boats!!

Look for me... I'll be the one in the super-charged power kayak.

While there are several guys that bring fast boats to other rallies, the empahsis at AOTH is to truly awake the horses.

Last year, with the water being as nice as I have ever seen it, the boats ran pretty darn quick. I played sweep boat on the Lees Ford Lunch Run and showed a 55 mph average over 80 miles and that was following the 16s in!

As for getting anyone to lay down the facts this early, good luck. Let's just say the skunkworks are under way and there ain't anybody talking.

I would predict a certain 22 with a couple of extra cylinders will be the smoker this year, but there are also rumbles of some pretty sweet Cig 20s invading the place too.

Should be a great time as always...

SilverBack
02-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Are there very many non Donzi Aronow boats that show up? What kind of speeds do you guys usually see?

mjw930
02-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I would predict a certain 22 with a couple of extra cylinders will be the smoker this year

If an Ilmor powered 22 Classic shows up it should be game over!

SilverBack
02-08-2008, 10:44 PM
This may be a little off subject but how much does a 22 classic with a BBC weigh? Isn't the Ilmor about the same weight as a BBC with aluminum heads? I am not saying that it is not but what would make a 700 hp Ilmor so much faster? I know that there are several blown BBC's out there that have to be making more than 700 hp. Is it because the Ilmor turns so many RPMs?

Lucky 13
02-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I would take my hat off to anyone in a 22 classic that is faster than a SC 26 Zx, especially if the water gets a little rough.

An llmor in a 22 would be fast...perhaps faster than you might want to go! Would love to see that...

SilverBack
02-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Come on!! The X-18 is the featured boat this year. Shouldn't someone get one ready to run away from everyone else? BGZX, can't you do an engine build up for that X-18?

Dr. Dan
02-08-2008, 11:30 PM
:smash: Well to put some names on the Speeds as I understand each boats inherent capabilties...because I am a Doctor an its my job to predict and prognosticate.

Ted if he show in his Illmor 710 will be the fastest Donzi.
Catch 22 will be next.
Big Grizzly would be next in line in the Mid to Upper 80's.
Byron & Poodles Puddle Jumper would be next...
Farmer Tex may have a thing or two up his sleeve but who knows....
Then Todd & I in the Evil Twins at a steady 78 - 81 range, accompanied by Gero & a few psychotic episodes from others...:wavey:

After that its a crap shoot cuz there are sooo many mid 70 mph boats.

Now the only other thing that could throw all of the above out the window is if...a certain X-18 made a return appearence. In which case...even the Illmor is gonna be anemic to compete with...but that would be so highly unlikely...wouldn't it?

Hmmmmm I hope my schedule allows me to go...it should be fun.

Doc of Stock 22's :drive:

SilverBack
02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Doc,
Finally some straight talk!! Who has the X-18 you are talking about?

Any news on the cooler?

mjw930
02-09-2008, 07:43 AM
This may be a little off subject but how much does a 22 classic with a BBC weigh? Isn't the Ilmor about the same weight as a BBC with aluminum heads? I am not saying that it is not but what would make a 700 hp Ilmor so much faster? I know that there are several blown BBC's out there that have to be making more than 700 hp. Is it because the Ilmor turns so many RPMs?

The Ilmor 710 weighs between 200 - 300 lbs less than the equivalent Merc racing 700sc. There are a few 700 hp normally aspirated custom motors out there than may be as light but most tip the scales at more than 1000 lbs. The Ilmor weights 800 lbs.

undertaker
02-09-2008, 08:20 AM
:smash: Well to put some names on the Speeds as I understand each boats inherent capabilties...because I am a Doctor an its my job to predict and prognosticate.
Catch 22 will be next.
Then Todd & I in the Evil Twins at a steady 78 - 81 range, accompanied by Gero & a few psychotic episodes from others...:wavey:
Now the only other thing that could throw all of the above out the window is if...a certain X-18 made a return appearence. In which case...even the Illmor is gonna be anemic to compete with...but that would be so highly unlikely...wouldn't it?

Last year was a blast...ran the sh.. out of the boats...looking forward to doing the same this year...

Undertaker - only a mid 70's 22 classic owner:smash:

PS Watch out for Byron his ride moves.....:eek!::eek!:

gero1
02-09-2008, 08:31 AM
talking stock from the factory or slightly tuned up????

gero1
02-09-2008, 08:32 AM
i never run my boat at wot!

chappy
02-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Doc,
Any news on the cooler?
That would be this, it's out there....................somewhere:propeller:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44278

Dr. Dan
02-09-2008, 03:55 PM
:smash:
Doc,

Any news on the cooler?

:thumbsup::hijack:Keith, I was gone all of last week at a Convention, prior to that I dropped off all of the last batch of coolers... they should be done this next week I would think. I will ship them as soon as I pick them up...I will also email you when I do. Tell Page to look for something special for her too....:salute:

Gotta keep the ladies happy!:flash::pimptwo:

Poodle, no offense..I guess I was referring to a certain Super Hero Mouse! Which only time will tell if we ever see it actually run again... it would be great...

....:toilet:I should get my Motor back from Holden by April, once its dropped back in I will have to do some shake down runs to make sure it doesn't twist the boat in half. Guess I will need to start investing in more props again...man...this is endless.

Poodle if ya bring the Critter, ya better have that steering working better...than it was in LG.

Hoping to make a Cumberland appearence...

Doc of Skunk Worx & Then Some :lame2:

SilverBack
02-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Chappy, thanks for the link!!!

Dan, thanks for the info. I told Page to get it in gear and figure out what she wanted. She said that you were updateing a website. Did that happen yet? She wants to order all kind of stuff I am sure!!

Poodle, am I reading between the lines correctly. Are you the one with the x-18?

Thanks all!!

Last Real Texan
02-10-2008, 09:10 AM
If Big Green and I show up.....still looking at the calender, we will make it interesting, have a few things up my sleeve and will not let the cat out of the bag until I show up.....I will be faster and quicker than last seasons best .....Now if Big Green Shows it will be game over in the BBC class powered boats.
Tex

Lenny
02-10-2008, 10:43 AM
If an Ilmor powered 22 Classic shows up it should be game over!

There is a rumoured "Attendee" in an X-18 and then it will be game over for even the Ilmor boat. Non Aronow Cats' will probably be all that can touch it...

yeller
02-10-2008, 05:53 PM
502stang, I believe they are hoping that Geoo's old X-18 shows up. SBC S/C'd, mega HP, arneson drive and radared about 120mph.

Lenny
02-10-2008, 10:40 PM
502stang, I believe they are hoping that Geoo's old X-18 shows up. SBC S/C'd, mega HP, arneson drive and radared about 120mph.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/Enginedyno.wmv GEOO's

Put that in your 18 :eek: OOPS, hang one... he DID.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/Donzivideo2.wmv

Admittedly NOT the same engine below (his was procharged) this video is pretty much the SAME thing and the same HP numbers.

http://www.bankspower.com/twin-turbo-video.cfm

SilverBack
02-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Lenny,
Who has that boat? It is HOT!! IS it Buzilla? Or is it Poodle? Or you?

Someone has to know!! BTW I agree, if that boat shows up it should (would) be GAME OVER!!!

Lenny
02-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Lenny,
Who has that boat? It is HOT!! IS it Buzilla? Or is it Poodle? Or you?

Not me, not Poodle, not Buzz. Top Secret actually... :D

FISHIN SUCKS
02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Catch 22 will be next.

You can't forget about the crazy Canadian with the goofy hat (Shea aka 'Glashole), that thing can run strong as well.

I am considering one of those fancy air scoops that Catch has 'cause that ought help my situation tremendously:nilly: That boat definitely runs. He was outrunning the 20' cig last year if I remember correctly, and that boat was a monster. Something like 93 on the GPS!

ITTLFLI
02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I heard a couple of fast 20 cigs where showing up. I hope this one makes it!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179688

show-n-go h2o
02-12-2008, 06:10 PM
I know of a 38zr that will be in attendance but im not sure what power and drives as of yet, it will be bought in the next two months, although the ones he has picked out are running in the high 90's. non donzi there will be a 32 alleycat there that has seen 140mpg gps depending on what pulley's he has on it.

Trueser
02-13-2008, 05:49 PM
You can't forget about the crazy Canadian with the goofy hat (Shea aka 'Glashole), that thing can run strong as well.
I!

Are you talking about his boat?

The Hedgehog
02-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Catch 22 will be next.

Is Catch running in the 90's these days? I know that his is pretty dang fast but can't remember where he runs.

I would not be totally shocked if Tex breaks 90

Heck, I might still be dialing mine in by the then but it should be fast.

Yes, X's Ilmore should be faster at over the century mark. I don't know if the return of Geo's creation will be much faster. I thought it was detuned somewhat.

It looks like Keith will be closing in on some high numbers. Hmm. Maybe 3 ZX's in the 90's. If Jamie comes he should see mid 80's The big boats are getting fast.

gero1
02-22-2008, 09:54 PM
try as you may, wish as you might, but yall can't win the fight...80mph(81.7gps) bone stock from the factory! BLACK HAWKS ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!....i think we need a stock class????

SilverBack
02-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Bill,
I don't think that I will be up at those speeds by then. I ran my information thru the BAM speed calculator and it says low to mid 80s. You and Bryan will have to carry the torch for the ZX guys. Remember that I have an old hull and you guys have the stepped hulls. If I get into the 80's I will be very happy.

I think Lenny knows who has that X-18...he just isn't talkin'.

I am going to be pulling up the rear with Tom and Elizabeth anyway.

mjw930
02-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Bill,
I don't think that I will be up at those speeds by then. I ran my information thru the BAM speed calculator and it says low to mid 80s. You and Bryan will have to carry the torch for the ZX guys. Remember that I have an old hull and you guys have the stepped hulls. If I get into the 80's I will be very happy.

I think Lenny knows who has that X-18...he just isn't talkin'.

I am going to be pulling up the rear with Tom and Elizabeth anyway.

If that combo can only put you in the low to mid 80's then you need to take that monster motor and drive and drop it into another hull.

With that power and X you should be able to throw a 32" prop but you'll probably need to go with something like a 5 blade semi-cleaver so budget another $1000 for a prop.

http://www.hydromotive.com/images/swirl_P5.jpg

catch 22
02-25-2008, 07:39 AM
I believe this was the same cig that was at Mt. Dora and AOTH 07. If you guys have never seen a Lipship cigarette they are truly an amazing boat. I don't know who's blue one that was, but it was just as sweet.

The Hedgehog
02-25-2008, 08:53 AM
I believe this was the same cig that was at Mt. Dora and AOTH 07. If you guys have never seen a Lipship cigarette they are truly an amazing boat. I don't know who's blue one that was, but it was just as sweet.

Those are some great looking boats. I so love the lines of Cig's. I hope that they are there.

ITTLFLI
02-25-2008, 09:00 AM
They are both LIPSHIPS. The red one is Mikes(home port cincy) and the blue one is Phil's. Both are really FAST!! The red one will be there for sure!

chappy
02-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Man those Cig's really sit low in the azz end.:cool:

show-n-go h2o
02-26-2008, 08:44 AM
with all the talk of new hardware coming to this event this year it might be a good idea to talk Don-Cig into planning the time trials again..

as for the poker run i'll be more than happy to be a card stop again. maybe i can get someone on my boat to take some good pics of you guy's flying in

glashole
02-26-2008, 04:11 PM
All this talk made me realize i hadn't added my pictures to the gallery from last years event

there are a couple of good WFO ones

just done

Shea

catch 22
02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
I know what Phil's ran first time out.. Y'all best bring your A game...

Could this mean PISTONS IN THE BILGE:nilly::nilly:

catch 22
02-26-2008, 05:20 PM
These are not WFO ones but nice ones

RedDog
02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
All this talk made me realize i hadn't added my pictures to the gallery from last years event
there are a couple of good WFO ones
just done
Shea

great picture - was that Byron that climbed the bank or you?

http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/613/medium/raft_off.jpg

PS - for those who weren't there - that is NOT the full population of Donzis on-hand for the weekend...

ITTLFLI
02-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Could this mean PISTONS IN THE BILGE:nilly::nilly:

Definitely a smaller pully and some higher octane!!:smash: :wink:

See ya in a few months!

Dr. Dan
02-26-2008, 06:52 PM
:smash:Pretty sure my Teal Stripe would clash with all that Red? How many total Boats were in attendence.

How many people total do you all feed there? Give or take 5 - 10?

Doc of Numerical Fashion Derivatives :wavey:

ITTLFLI
02-26-2008, 07:06 PM
:smash:Pretty sure my Teal Stripe would clash with all that Red? How many total Boats were in attendence.
How many people total do you all feed there? Give or take 5 - 10?
Doc of Numerical Fashion Derivatives :wavey:

Feel free to use fingers and toes to keep track!:wink:

Trueser
02-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I have CD's available from last year. Over 400 pictures. Send me a message and I will burn you a copy....
New camera and lenses for 2008. Speed is no longer an issue 6.5 fps, burst rate up to 75 consecutive JPEGs.
Will be taking pictures from the Z29 or 28zx/zxo much more stable than a 22.
It would be great if we could get the helicopter for an hour or so.

catch 22
03-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Feel free to use fingers and toes to keep track!:wink:
THAT'S SOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOL.:drive::drive::wavey:.THAT WAS A GREAT DAY.

FISHIN SUCKS
03-01-2008, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=Dr. Dan;440005 How many total Boats were in attendence.
:[/QUOTE]
23 from what I remember. 2 that were not in the picture were the black/orange/yellow 38 zx and Zimm17's 22' (his boat broke down, so he broke down and proposed to his fiance). Small turnout compared to previous years, but still a great time. You could almost count Deric's 28zx but he never put it in the water.

catch 22
03-01-2008, 04:40 PM
I knew that there were 3 cig's at mt Dora. Here is #3.

show-n-go h2o
03-03-2008, 03:00 PM
23 from what I remember. 2 that were not in the picture were the black/orange/yellow 38 zx and Zimm17's 22' (his boat broke down, so he broke down and proposed to his fiance). Small turnout compared to previous years, but still a great time. You could almost count Deric's 28zx but he never put it in the water.

depending on how many people we have in our group i might not put it in the water this year. unless you would like to drive it.

Sam
03-03-2008, 03:08 PM
This is my first year to go to AOTH. I have been reading about all kinds of sandbagging going on. Do you guys actually open them up at AOTH?? I can't wait to see some fast Donzi boats!! I know Connie is going to be the fastest boat there but as far as far as Donzi's go what kind of Donzi is the fastest at AOTH? I hope I am not starting anything, I am just really curious!!

Are you serious :confused:...........just kidding Stang. Yes of course we do, some more than others :boggled:. Just wait for the start of our run on Friday and you'll get a good dose of what AOTH stands for :yes:.

FISHIN SUCKS
03-03-2008, 03:27 PM
unless you would like to drive it.
tell you what my brutha from anotha motha, you feed it, I'll drive it....and don't forget the crapper, gotta have a crapper:wink:

RedDog
03-03-2008, 07:22 PM
depending on how many people we have in our group i might not put it in the water this year. unless you would like to drive it.

want to drive it? hell yea I want to drive it! in fact I'll drive it like I stole it! which I just might do if you dare to hand me the keys...

RedDog
03-03-2008, 07:26 PM
... Do you guys actually open them up at AOTH?? I can't wait to see some fast Donzi boats!! ...

Dang - I been to every AOTH but 1 and I still don't know if they open them up. I can only run low 70s so I never get to see if the other guys put the hammer down... :wink:

glashole
03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
we should make a side note for people on the bubble about going and might think twice if it is all about running at 75+ the whole time :nilly:

yes some of the boats do run WFO for short periods of time but there are alot of boats having a great time running at 45-55mph on the same runs :)

and everywhere we go we generally stop to let everyone catch up and raft off, etc..

it is a good time no matter what you are running :angel: