PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic Mods

The Hedgehog
02-08-2008, 04:46 PM
I scored a good deal on a 22 Classic hull earlier this week. I was going to keep it a surprise and spring it on everyone at the AOTH. I am doing some major mods and need input. My cousin has a body shop and we have already started. First we cut a walkway through to a bow area in front. I was originally going for the Critter effect but I opened it out to more of a bowrider.

I have a new Optimax laying around so I thought of a couple of other mods. I was considering glassing the transom, installing a jack plate and using the outboard. Do you think it would mess up my CG? After that, I was going to put a rumble seat in place of the engine in the engine comparment. Don't worry, I was still going to retain the hatch to use while the rumble seat was not in use.

Another idea I had was to open up the back and have an L-shaped lounge. Do you think it would hurt my resale?

One thing I am having issue with is where to mount my bow thruster. Now that I have opened up the bow I don't have a good way to conceal that. Maybe I could raise the floor somewhat. The other idea that Tex had was that I could mount those trolling motor tabs but I am not sure how that would look.

From there on I have a whole myriad of things in the works.

:popcorn:

BUIZILLA
02-08-2008, 05:19 PM
what is in your kool aid????

The Hedgehog
02-08-2008, 05:28 PM
what is in your kool aid????

It does not tast funny, but I did see a couple of square pieces of paper floating around. Is that bad?:eek!:

gcarter
02-08-2008, 05:30 PM
There was someone trying to sell a bow rider version a couple of years ago.........I don't think it sold.
Outboards been done before.
I think the rumble seat has possibilities......:confused:
Hinkley has bow thrusters in their picnic boats so that's nothing new.:(

Come on man...stretch a little!!!!!:smash:

The Hedgehog
02-08-2008, 05:37 PM
There was someone trying to sell a bow rider version a couple of years ago.........I don't think it sold.
Outboards been done before.
I think the rumble seat has possibilities......:confused:
Hinkley has bow thrusters in their picnic boats so that's nothing new.:(
Come on man...stretch a little!!!!!:smash:

You are brilliant. "stretch a little!" I read about stretching Bertrams. I could do that. Maybe make it a 26 Classic. I want to be careful because I don't want to price myself out of the market when it comes to resale time.

Last Real Texan
02-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I have a nice wake board tower I will donate to the project that I took off a ski nautique I had a while ago....I think we can also use the fat sack the boat had in it for addressing the CG issue that the 300 X will create hanging out there off the bracket. In all fairness to each is own and in the end it is all about user friendly features. Let me know I can bring it all up next weekend.
Good project Bill when are you going to finish all of your projects?:hangum:
Tex

boxy
02-08-2008, 05:48 PM
LOL, why do I picture this getting merged with the "How far OT can ya go" thread Jefe started??
Speaking of pictures :D :D :D

:D I have no idea what Jefe was thinking when he started that thread ..........

gcarter
02-08-2008, 05:49 PM
You are brilliant. "stretch a little!" I read about stretching Bertrams. I could do that. Maybe make it a 26 Classic. I want to be careful because I don't want to price myself out of the market when it comes to resale time.
Add a step while you're at it!:wink:
This could get really interesting.:smash:

The Hedgehog
02-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Still dodging I see :) :)
Did the little squares have Peace signs on them??

I am dodging. I am very frightful that people will not like it. Or maybe just embarrased about this trailer. I will take a few detailed pics just for you.

Actually, I do have a pic posted of the 18. I will find it.

The 22 is a secret!

Here is a picture of the project consulting team!

The squares (there were four) had peace signs and Bart Simpsons on them. Is that bad?

The Hedgehog
02-08-2008, 06:04 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30829&d=1186358121

The link for the 18.

This is nothing like the 22 will be.

zelatore
02-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Clearly you haven't thought this all the way through.

To be practical, you're going to need some cabin space for the Ms. to get out of the sun. I suggest that when you do the stretch, you also include room to do a mid-cabin. That way you can have your open bow and some extra room. You can also build a head in this area.

Also, the bow isn't really wide enough for good seating in front. You'll want to carry the beam forward more and maybe do a tri-hull configuration to get extra width. Be sure to factor in the added buoyancy when calculating the CG for the fat sac and the Optimax.

And of course, you'll need a bigger windshield. Those stockers are far too low. I think there was a thread on here a while back with an 18 that had a really nice windshield Maybe you could contact the owner and find out who built it.

And you'll need camper canvas. A full enclosure - nothing else will do on a custom of this caliber. After all, it can get hot. You can nicely integrate it with the ski tower.

Speaking of hot, don't forget the generator for the AC. Gotta keep the Ms. happy!

And you'll want a sunpad. Good thing you're keeping the stock engine hatch over the rumble seat. That's the perfect place to mount it.

And speaking of versatility, I’d recommend considering a couple of those bass boat pedestal seats, one in a socket on the rumble seat/sunpad/ex-engine cover, and one for the bow.

I know it may be difficult to insure such a masterpiece for it’s true worth, but if you look hard enough you should be able to get custom insurance to cover it’s true value.

BigGrizzly
02-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I like the idea but there should be two Opiies on it.

Last Real Texan
02-08-2008, 06:16 PM
I am dodging. I am very frightful that people will not like it. Or maybe just embarrased about this trailer. I will take a few detailed pics just for you.
Actually, I do have a pic posted of the 18. I will find it.
The 22 is a secret!
Here is a picture of the project consulting team!
The squares (there were four) had peace signs and Bart Simpsons on them. Is that bad?
these pictures were not to leave the "Donzi Think Tank"

Last Real Texan
02-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I like the idea but there should be two Opiies on it.
That will throw of the CG to much Griz....well maybe not if we put the Bow thruster, Genset and A/C unit up in the Anchor Locker that will be created by the conversion. I really think a Pop up bow light up there as well.

Tex

zelatore
02-08-2008, 06:21 PM
You know, maybe you could do a sort of Amphi-car thing and avoid the whole trailer issue. Think of the money savings!

Nah, that'd just be weird.

The Hedgehog
02-08-2008, 07:05 PM
I think that Griz's idea would work if we do the half cabin and genset like discussed.

Steps and a pad too. Do you think we could get the trowling motors mounted on a set of 380 K-planes?

gcarter
02-08-2008, 07:10 PM
What I don't get is this"Last Real Texan" thingy. :wink:
I was born in San Antonio in October of 1944!!!!!!!!!
And I'm still alive!:propeller:

Maybe you're the "Last Real Texan" in some small part of Georgia or something.

Tony
02-08-2008, 07:21 PM

Now, that's real funny...I don't care who you are!

:beer:

Last Real Texan
02-08-2008, 07:30 PM
I am the Last Real Texan in my family. We have along history in Texas dating back four generations. Get it ........Are you threatining me errrrrrr errrrrrrrr I need TP for my bunghole, I am Cornholeeeoooo

Barry Eller
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
:woot::screwy::alky::shocker::lame::spit::drunk::p uke::censored:

That is all I have to say about that...

SilverBack
02-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Don't get me wrong but if I were you I would do these mods in steps. Slow and methodical. You never need to move too fast. You will want to know what mod does what!! If you are not careful you will end up with a screwed up Donzi like me. You just don't need to haul off and do a bunch of mods that you "think" will work. I think that all of these mods sound really cool and very unique. But I might stay away from that pop up light thing. Some people don't like them much. I think everything else will be fine though. Just take it slow and do 1 thing at a time!!

roadtrip se
02-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Still dodging I see :) :)
Did the little squares have Peace signs on them??

I find this to be quite entertaining...

Who filed the pitch numbers off of his Turbo prop on the Crit last year at Lake George?

Who has never officically identified how much horsepower his X18 has or just how fast it really is?

Who hasn't posted any pics of his "540" recently ( or ever) in the Criterion? Sorry, it is going to be hard to hide belt whine at AOTH this year. Head work? Um, okay...

Who supposedly bought a really nice spiffy new Mustang, but hasn't shared one pic of it yet? Strange for someone who always has a camera nearby.

Geesh, all of this sand bagging is getting kind of tough for me to keep track of....

Trueser
02-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Reading this makes me want to sit on the couch and eat some potatoes.

The Hedgehog
02-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Don't get me wrong but if I were you I would do these mods in steps. Slow and methodical. You never need to move too fast. You will want to know what mod does what!! If you are not careful you will end up with a screwed up Donzi like me. You just don't need to haul off and do a bunch of mods that you "think" will work. I think that all of these mods sound really cool and very unique. But I might stay away from that pop up light thing. Some people don't like them much. I think everything else will be fine though. Just take it slow and do 1 thing at a time!!

Oh man! I almost fell out of my chair when I read that Keith!:smash: That is the best thing I have read in days!

Now I see why you called. I had my folks in the room and they looked at me like I was crazy when I fell out in hysterics! I will probably laugh for a couple of days at that comment.

The Hedgehog
02-09-2008, 12:16 AM

That is pretty good too. I wish I had something to add to that. Heck, I have know Brian for years and know that he is the Texan, but the LRT thing is still a myth for me.

Some small part of Ga!

SilverBack
02-09-2008, 12:24 AM
BGZX,
This whole thread has been pretty entertaining!! My wife kept looking at me when I would start laughing. She is a little paranoid since I mentioned her really really liking to be very well prepared when she travels on the Eufaula thread.

You need to call me or email me. I have some information that the ZX boys are going to have to keep on the down low for your and Brian. I will be up for a while.

Last Real Texan
02-09-2008, 06:55 AM
I cleared out my in box keith ....PM away, As far as paint goes on this project I have some left over stuff that changes color depending on how you look at it, really nice stuff, lays down easy and requires no cleat to look good, only ting is you need to be careful where you boat because it makes you susceptable to drive by shootings, and being stopped by Law enforcement for no other reason than you look like a baller. On a side note I thought that we were going o un vail this project at the Donzi Owners rally in Sarasota this fall. I also found a set of outboard jet drives that we can fab up to mate to the 300's so we can run this thing in the shallows with no worry and it will eliminate the need for exspensive labbed props.

About the LRT thing......well I AM THE LAST REAL TEXAN !

gcarter
02-09-2008, 07:04 AM
About the LRT thing......well I AM THE LAST REAL TEXAN !
Stay on your meds man, and all will be GOOOOOOOOOOD! :propeller:

The rest of us will go on living our lives in the REAL world.

boxy
02-09-2008, 07:31 AM

That's funny coming from somebody who lives in the hills of inland Florida ....... :D :D

The funny thing is the REAL Texans are noticeably absent from this thread ...... :nilly:

gcarter
02-09-2008, 07:46 AM
That's funny coming from somebody who lives in the hills of inland Florida ....... :D :D
The funny thing is the REAL Texans are noticeably absent from this thread ...... :nilly:
At least I have the sense NOT to live north of 45* north latitude.

SilverBack
02-09-2008, 09:46 AM
LRT..I think that paint will be shizzle!! My Donzi came with some crapy paint on the windshield that looked like that but when you walked around it was very disappointing because the paint was just fadded to look like that. There is nothing worse that being a “want to be” BALLER. I think because BGZX is who he is that he does need the real thing. He is a REAL a$$ baller and he needs to let it all hang out on this project. And just for the record....I think that this paint profiling has got stop!!

Last Real Texan
02-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Stay on your meds man, and all will GOOOOOOOOOOD! :propeller:
The rest of us will go on living our lives in the REAL world.
meds we don't need no stinking meds. By the way who told you?

harbormaster
02-09-2008, 10:32 AM
DON'T DO IT, THESE BOATS WERE NOT MADE FOR OUTBOARDS AND IN MY OPINION DO NOT FUNCTION WELL.

IF YOU FEEL THE BURNING DESIRE TO TAKE A 22 HULL AND MAKE IT WORTH EVEN LESS THEN BY ALL MEANS PUT AN OUTBOARD ON IT.

not that I feel strongly about this....

El Bandido
02-09-2008, 11:05 AM
I love it, a buddy of the Hedgehog's from the land of Bear Bryant, and a guy from the land of Anita Bryant arguing about who is the last real TEXAN.....
As the first real Texan I know I have met the last real Teaxan and his name is .........

JEFE !!!!

Last Real Texan
02-09-2008, 12:17 PM
can we all please stop the personal attacks on each other. Bill and I are very serious about this project, please give us some useful advice that will help us attain the goal so we can sell the finished prototype to some poor un suspecting fool who really thinks it is a one off that Donzi built and is worth 4 times what we have in it, very important to not get ourselves price out of the market.

gcarter
02-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I love it, a buddy of the Hedgehog's from the land of Bear Bryant, and a guy from the land of Anita Bryant arguing about who is the last real TEXAN.....
As the first real Texan I know I have met the last real Teaxan and his name is .........
JEFE !!!!
Look El Bandido....Jefe is the new generation. If you haven't noticed, I'm old enough to be Jefe's daddy. And DON'T FORGET IT!!!!!
I don't know if you're old enough to remember, but the early '80's were a good time to vacate Houston. After all, there were about 200,000 Detroit rejects living under bridges and cardboard houses. Do you remember THAT, El Bandido??????
Do you remember the S&L's selling off so many repossesed houses at auction, many were sold w/o reserve!!:eek!:
Those were the times to find your dream elsewhere. I left and had a contract in Orlando which lasted long enough, I guess.
I got married in '86 to a girl from Florida. I had just finished a short contract in Houston. After getting married, I just stayed in Florida. We started a business, and the rest, as they say, is history.
One of my dreams is to get our business in a position to where we don't have to be here every day, and move north of San Antonio.
Not Wemberly.....too crowded.

The Hedgehog
02-09-2008, 01:33 PM
can we all please stop the personal attacks on each other. Bill and I are very serious about this project, please give us some useful advice that will help us attain the goal so we can sell the finished prototype to some poor un suspecting fool who really thinks it is a one off that Donzi built and is worth 4 times what we have in it, very important to not get ourselves price out of the market.

I think that we can pull it off. Color changing paint and all. That is better than the speckle fleck scheme I had cooked up. I need to get a few more pics of Keith's bottom. I read about a project on Scream & Fly where someone retrofitted a pad on a Bayliner (no joke).

This whole Texan arguement needs to stop. I will give both you some of my coolaid and you can settle it. It really detracts from some usefull information.

Bryan, my insurance guy called. It will need to be surveyed. You will need coolaid for that as well.

Regarding the coolaid. I had some more today without the paper in it. It does not seem to be working as well. I got a call in to Mr Poodle to see if he can locate that kind he was describing. That sounds like it might help.

Maybe one of these guys from Michigan can get Snoop Dogg or Dr Dre to come down for the unveiling.

I have been trying to get in touch with the window guy. Zel is right, it is starting to look funny with those small windows.

I had a telemarketer that sells Bay Window conversions for houses call. I don't need any for my house but I discussed this project with him to see if he had any ideas. I get the feeling that he is not going to call me back for some reason.:eek!:

gcarter
02-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I need to get a few more pics of Keith's bottom.
Texas aside, I don't think I want to see any pictures of Keith's bottom. I think what Keith's bottom looks like should be a closely held secret.
Are we back to too tight pants making Keith's bootom looking too fat? Keith could always buy some of those real b aggy pants that kids wear these days.
Oh crap!!!! I bet you're talking about boats, aren't you????

boxy
02-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Keith could always buy some of those real b aggy pants that kids wear these days.

Those crazy kids in their baggy pants........

roadtrip se
02-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I went down to Corpus Christi in late 1987 and then on to Fort Worth in 1990. Didn't leave until 2003, after it became unbearable to fly for business, not because we wanted to.

Funny thing, I made a very nice career for myself NOT listening to all of the REAL TEXANS around us tell me how bad it was. Did very well actually. Since I was dealing with car dealers and the credit situation was such a mess, I was able to get the more agrressive guys to invest in their businesses and my products to grab the customers that were able to still buy. Yes, we did very well.

Also scored a very nice house for 50 cents on the dollar from the Resolution Trust Corp.

I'd do it again.... Cake walk in comparison to what we have going on in Michigan right now.

SilverBack
02-09-2008, 07:34 PM
HEY!!!!!! I leave for a few minutes and you guys have all got to start talking about my bottom! You guys don't know me but I only wish my boats bottom was as wide as mine! I think I would pick up at least 10 mph. I also want for all of you to know that this whole conversation is making me feel somewhat uncomfortable! I am really hyped about this project and we really shouldn't get sidetracked about who is first or last Texan or Floridian or Michiganion I mean really..you are either from Mississippi or not! We need to concentrate on these mods! You could really get screwed up if you do these mods out of order or do more than one at a time. This is critical. We will have to do these mods in the right sequence or the engine (engines) will blow, we will all put out our eye and the sky will fall all simultaneously. I am sure that no one here wants to be responsible for that.

waxman
02-10-2008, 04:21 PM
hey, the wife's got a zebra striped long fur chase lounge I will donate. It will look great under the aft cabin canvas.

The Hedgehog
02-10-2008, 04:43 PM
hey, the wife's got a zebra striped long fur chase lounge I will donate. It will look great under the aft cabin canvas.

I think that would be hot! A much better topic than Keith's Padded Bottom (even though he has posted lots of pics).

JEFE, I wonder if his last name is Sanchez. I have a fellow acting star named D Sanchez but that is another story.:cool:

I just got finished pricing a Latham steering system for the Opties. They are proud of those. I am hoping that Poodle can help the cause there.

I don't know why Scott is so upset about the outboard concept. I guess it is because he gave away all of his usable space for a big block. :doh:

zelatore
02-10-2008, 05:40 PM
I just got finished pricing a Latham steering system for the Opties. They are proud of those.

Now look, I know you aren't on an unlimited budget and you're planning to re-sell this beast when it's done to finance your next project, so you'll want to spend your money where you'll get the best return on investmet.

We all know those Latham systems are just so much over-priced jewlery. All show and no go. And that's not what this build is about!

Get yourself down to home depot and pick up a few pullies and some steel cable. Don't cheap out too much here - safety is important after all. Get the good stuff. I recomend the green vinyl coated wire and galvanized pullies. Just because it's used for clothes lines doesn't mean it's not top-shelf gear.

And it's like you were reading my mind on the bay windows - big windows just above the water line for the master stateroom are all the rage these days in yachts thanks to the Italians. If you're boy can hook you up right, I don't see how you can go wrong there.

'if you build it, they will come'

SilverBack
02-10-2008, 07:04 PM
If I don't find a GOOD deal on some hydraulic steering I may have to go with the pulley and clothes line cable thing myself! I am further along on my project but my project does sound very similar to yours other than the outboard thing. If I go with the cable and pulley Home Depot system I will post and let you know how it goes. :crossfing:

Were you saying that you need some more pictures of my bottom? Do you think the padded area is big enough to do the job? I hope so..... I would have thought that the pictures that I already posted would have been plenty but if you need to see more I will post them too if it will help the project. But this does make me feel a little uncomfortable!!:eek!:

waxman
02-11-2008, 05:34 AM
I have found that spring tensioners on the pulleys really add to the comfort of the HD steering system.
Don't forget a GFI for the lava lamp stern light.:pimp: