PDA

View Full Version : Accon popup bow light

gcarter
02-07-2008, 08:07 PM
What do you guys think of them??????? :confused:

I think they're pretty sharp.

But do I want to put one on the Testa Rossa?????

Can I hear some opinions?

:popcorn:

thriller
02-07-2008, 08:12 PM
George
Go for it. They look sharp!

Mr X
02-07-2008, 08:36 PM
YUK!
Maybe on a fish boat.......

Ed Donnelly
02-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Why not? They look great.........................Ed

Trueser
02-07-2008, 09:53 PM
George,
If that the case you should glass in the dash....

BUIZILLA
02-07-2008, 09:58 PM
I put one on the Minx...

you have to crawl out on the bow to flip it up, if you forget before leaving the dock...:doh:

gcarter
02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
I put one on the Minx...
you have to crawl out on the bow to flip it up, if you forget before leaving the dock...:doh:
I wondered about that........
Does it have a latch, or just a detent??????
If a detent, or friction, maybe a long stiff rod under the deck..........

BUIZILLA
02-07-2008, 10:09 PM
pretty strong detent..

TXDONZI
02-07-2008, 10:50 PM
They have one that has an electric accuator now for twice the price. I had thought about putting a cable simular to a choke cable with a knob or rigged with a door pop solenoid.

osur866
02-07-2008, 11:45 PM
YUK!
Maybe on a fish boat.......
Steve

The Hedgehog
02-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Ok, so shoot me

I put one on the X-18. It looks better than the stock one. Even if you leave it up it looks better. Nice looking piece of equip.

I guess that this should could come under the customization thread. I guess that that my new interior, steering and gauges look stupid as well.

Oh well, it is my boat after all!

The Hedgehog
02-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Oops. Misread something

wrussellw
02-08-2008, 06:45 AM
I put one on my 16 and an electronic retractable stern light. I really like both.

Mr X
02-08-2008, 07:04 AM
Ok, so shoot me
I put one on the X-18. It looks better than the stock one. Even if you leave it up it looks better. Nice looking piece of equip.
I guess that this should could come under the customization thread. I guess that that my new interior, steering and gauges look stupid as well.
Oh well, it is my boat after all!

Wow! a little sensative there eh?
You are the one using the word "stupid" ......

Comments like that Just make people not want to post
much here any more.........

osur866
02-08-2008, 07:35 AM
mean to hit a nerve either, I just like the factory look better just my opinion. Steve

The Hedgehog
02-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Wow! a little sensative there eh?
You are the one using the word "stupid" ......
Comments like that Just make people not want to post
much here any more.........

Yeah, probably a little sensitive when I came home after a night of entertaining clients (read lots of booze). You have to admit though that it is kind of abrasive to give a great big
YUK to something that somebody owns and put hard work into installing.

That is right up there with my silly stupid comment. I mean think about it. How would you feel if you just got finished putting on your throttle pod on your X-18 and someome said "YUK!" I bet that would make you not want to post much here anymore.:shocking:

I can dog on the pop up light that I own as well. They are fine on lake boats but have a tendancy to close if you hit big waves in the night.

BigGrizzly
02-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Mad PO If you put that light on your Critter what are you going to do with the holes in the sides where they are now---Driving lights or fill the holes??? I do think the lights are cool then you can buy the retractable stern light. Hot Shot Had one on his 18.

Mr X
02-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, probably a little sensitive when I came home after a night of entertaining clients (read lots of booze). You have to admit though that it is kind of abrasive to give a great big
YUK to something that somebody owns and put hard work into installing.
That is right up there with my silly stupid comment. I mean think about it. How would you feel if you just got finished putting on your throttle pod on your X-18 and someome said "YUK!" I bet that would make you not want to post much here anymore.:shocking:
I can dog on the pop up light that I own as well. They are fine on lake boats but have a tendancy to close if you hit big waves in the night.

Actually,
a few people did say that my throttle pod looked horribe.
Just really did not bother me....and I did not ask other people if I should or should not do it before hand, as gcarter did with this thread. Anyone should build their boat to make them happy.

"What ever floats YOUR boat" really has a lot of truth in it.

TBroccoli
02-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Ladies, please stop all the sensitivity. Pretty soon we will be asking if our butts look big in these pants. Say it if you mean it. But remember to respect others.

gcarter
02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Actually,
a few people did say that my throttle pod looked horribe.
Just really did not bother me....and I did not ask other people if I should or should not do it before hand, as gcarter did with this thread. Anyone should build their boat to make them happy.
"What ever floats YOUR boat" really has a lot of truth in it.
And I was really asking about the practicality side of them, like Buizilla mentioned.
I personally like the flush closed look to them, but I'm also curious about getting them up once your in the boat, or closing when a wave hits it. These things could dissuede me.
And for everyones information, my drive will NOT be black....unless I change my mind.:wink:

roadtrip se
02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
not my butt, so I guess I had better start wearing black t-shirts to Donzi events to deflect the criticism that might hurt my feelings.

My first reaction to this thread was to throw gas on the fire.
Make a comment kind of like... "Putting one of these things on a Donzi would be like putting spinner wheel covers on an Escalade!"

I have been in Ted's shoes many times before. So far I have been called arrogant, know-it-all, and had my rep points hammered when I simply express an opinion. Winter is always good for this.

Also part of the reason why I have truly enjoyed the "OT" thread that Jefe "started", because we can instigate and abuse each other without feelings getting hurt.

As for the modification in question, if it doesn't significantly alter the overall Classic look of the boat, go for it. I have been guilty of a lot of these kind of modifications, but they tend to lean towards functionality, not necessarily bling.
The key is you have to really look at my boat to see the mods, they don't stand out. The day the Bristol/Pebble Beach crowd starts invading our sport is the day I get out.

As for colored drives George, pink is for sissys!

gcarter
02-08-2008, 01:26 PM

One thing you can count on.....
It won't be a rainbow!!!!!! :eek!:

VetteLT193
02-08-2008, 01:44 PM
I love the clean lines of them, especially considering how much I boat at night. (it's been a long time). Anything pop up also is one less thing to trip on, avoid, etc. while getting around on the boat either with your body or with dock lines.

I plan on putting one on the Minx too.

The Hedgehog
02-08-2008, 02:21 PM
not my butt, so I guess I had better start wearing black t-shirts to Donzi events to deflect the criticism that might hurt my feelings.
My first reaction to this thread was to throw gas on the fire.
Make a comment kind of like... "Putting one of these things on a Donzi would be like putting spinner wheel covers on an Escalade!"
I have been in Ted's shoes many times before. So far I have been called arrogant, know-it-all, and had my rep points hammered when I simply express an opinion. Winter is always good for this.
Also part of the reason why I have truly enjoyed the "OT" thread that Jefe "started", because we can instigate and abuse each other without feelings getting hurt.
As for the modification in question, if it doesn't significantly alter the overall Classic look of the boat, go for it. I have been guilty of a lot of these kind of modifications, but they tend to lean towards functionality, not necessarily bling.
The key is you have to really look at my boat to see the mods, they don't stand out. The day the Bristol/Pebble Beach crowd starts invading our sport is the day I get out.

I actually think that the "Spinners on an Escalade" comment would be funny at this stage of the game!

I love to argue a point and will sometimes flame back. At the end of the day I don't harbor any hostility to MrX or anyone that thinks that something might look Yukky. :wink: I really don't. Opinions are all fine and I am good to go as long as the attack is not on me personally. I certainly would not want to create an environment where people are scared to post. If you guys are truely upset and offended about me firing back at the YUK comment, I will pull the comment.

I think that Griz said it best by mentioning that differences are good and it would be bad if we all owned the same boat.

Trueser
02-08-2008, 03:03 PM
You can sure tell it's mid winter.

TXDONZI
02-08-2008, 04:11 PM
I put one on my 16 and an electronic retractable stern light. I really like both.

Looking at that LED powered light myself. How did the install go? What did you take out to start with and did the new one cover the remaining holes? Could you post a picture or two?

The Hedgehog
02-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Note to self: BG STILL hasn't showed us his boat, hell, he dodged the whole subject just now.. Methinks AOTH is going to be real interesting this year.. ;) :D

Well, you have seen the gas tank and you know it has a popup light!:beer: Jamie has seen the decals and I showed everyone a picture of the steering and maybe a shot of the engine. Hmmm

Yes, I think it will be very interesting. And I WILL be there.

And I do know that I owe a few of you some beer. I ALWAYS make good on that.

BigGrizzly
02-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I love this sensitivity crap. As for the yuk listen to the Eagles alblum "When hell freezes over" and Get over it. I went out to buy a 22 classic and bough the Criterion out from Mad Poodle then my wife said it was weird. The next time I saw Scott and he bough me dinner. My wife now thinks it is beautiful. I smoked Ted at Eufaula and we are good friends. I told Zimmerman Flat head screws should not be on the dash, He bough a prop from me. So boys and girls grow up beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Unless you have seen it on the whole boat it is like a bikini on a hanger it is nothing until a good looking woman puts it on!!

wrussellw
02-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Looking at that LED powered light myself. How did the install go? What did you take out to start with and did the new one cover the remaining holes? Could you post a picture or two?

Pics are before boat was painted, so NO insenitive comments on my ugly paint job.:wink:
I will take some better pictures tomorrow while I AM BOATING, yes mid seventies this weekend, no winter blues here.

wannabe
02-09-2008, 10:03 AM
The stern light looks like the power antennas I used to install in my car radio days.