PDA

View Full Version : new times...

BUIZILLA
02-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Found this, thought I'd share.....

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.
1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark.. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.
1957 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1957 - Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.
1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.
1957 - Ants die.
2007 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

mjw930
02-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Oh so true and oh so sad :hangum:

cutwater
02-06-2008, 11:53 AM
1957 ?? Not even that long ago! People would generally categorize me as part of this new generation (I'm in my mid-20s) and I was in high school less than seven years ago... But things are so much different now from even then. It's really scary to think where we'll be in another 7 years. Fortunately I had parents who corrected me and taught me lessons when I made mistakes instead of finding excuses for me or blaming it on teachers.

John

chappy
02-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Fortunately I had parents who corrected me and taught me lessons when I made mistakes instead of finding excuses for me or blaming it on teachers.

This makes a lot of sense, I wish more people did this.

chappy
02-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Does anyone else think ADD is just another name for poor attention skills/habits??

Oh yeah, that term is thrown around today like "Grunge" was thrown around in the 90's. I think people just enjoy saying it. Not saying the condition is not real, but it's not always the case.

WingWing
02-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I was not the teacher's pet in school. One day I got into a nose to nose with the only other kid in my class that people were scared of (4th grade). we both got sent to the principals office.

Principal asked us each, "so you think your tough, you think your a bada**?" both of us said yes having to save face of course. SHe said, Ok I'm gonna see just how tough you are, follow me (as she took a whistle from her desk).

We walked out into the playground and she told us: Ok, you two are going to fight when I say go and when I blow the whistle the fight is over and you need to shake hands.

We started the obligatory bumping into each other with our shoulders, telling the other "jump, no you jump...etc" Not sure who grabbed the other first but we both went to the ground, and as soon as the first punch was thrown, the whistle blew. We both jumped up, stuck out our hands, very glad the fight was over and never had another altercation between us.

imagine what this sort of wisdom would amount to today?

Tim Morris
02-07-2008, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=BUIZILLA;437411Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.
[/QUOTE]

Leftovers? Nobody likes leftovers. We used to take fresh ones (big cannon ones, as I recall) and light 'em off right
in the class.

No ants were harmed in the making of those 1960 festivities.
The teachers were terrified though. Did that make us terrorists?

Ed Donnelly
02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Tim; Don't tell me you are a George Harvey Grad.
I was saintly...Neil McNeil boy..................Ed

Formula Jr
02-07-2008, 05:45 PM
In 1973, I use to hitch-hike back from School with a 22 rifle strapped on my back. Thats when they still had target practice as an after school activity.

Times have certainly changed.......

Rootsy
02-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Johnny was a wimp.. We use to take apart shotgun shells in Dad's garage to make our WMD's :D :D :D
Does anyone else think ADD is just another name for poor attention skills/habits??

Empty CO2 cartridges, filled with smokeless powder and a length of dynamite fuse generally eliminated entire colonies of ants as well as some woodchucks around home when I was a youngun... :nilly:

Tim Morris
02-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Tim; Don't tell me you are a George Harvey Grad.
I was saintly...Neil McNeil boy..................Ed

Nope, further east - R.H.King. Although, currently I live just
a few streets west of Neil McNeil.

Our leader, in charge of fresh firecracker procurement was
Mike Crupi (Crupi Construction), you see their equipment all around Toronto road construction sites. There were a bunch of us voted most likely to fail; and we did until we got out of school.

mikev
02-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Empty CO2 cartridges, filled with smokeless powder and a length of dynamite fuse generally eliminated entire colonies of ants as well as some woodchucks around home when I was a youngun... :nilly:

we used to pour gas in the ant holes then leave a trail about 10 feet away and drop a match on the trail of gas. always a cool caboom and no more ants. those were the days.

chappy
02-08-2008, 10:26 AM
I had a neighbor when I was a little turd who used to beat the shat out of me to impress his friends and girlfriend. Typical teenage stuff, no big deal. I dug up an ant hill, and dropped it through the open sunroof in his Camaro one night.:hyper: I never heard someone curse so much. I'm not sure where this fits in this thread. Actually, it doesn't. The flashback made me laugh though.:yes:

DonziJon
02-08-2008, 02:04 PM
It really was 1957, maybe '58. There were 5 of us that hung around together. Pete was our "Firearms Expert". We called him that because he built a cannon once that was pretty effective in blowing away pigeons, seagulls, and an occassional squirrel when they might happen to forage in his backyard looking for the breadcrumbs that he would toss out.

The cannon was a piece of pipe with a cap screwed onto one end with a touch hole, and screwed down to the cellar window sill with conduit straps. He emptied shot gun shells of the powder and loaded the powder into the pipe with any and all kinds of shrapnel.. nuts,bolts, screws, gravel, etc.

He would station himself in the cellar and wait for the birds to come down for the bread crumbs.. Then blewie.

Well his father found the cannon one day an confiscated it. A couple of weeks later, Pete was bored and decided to build another one. There was no pipe left so the best material he could find was some conduit. All the better because it was a little bigger and was MUCH easier to work with. Just peen over the butt end and he was back in business.

The next day the newspaper headlines read: "Boy Shoots Self With Cannon". :bonk: The cannon blew up and sent shrapnel into Petes chest with most of it exiting through his armpit. He missed a few days of school but was otherwise unscathed. I'm not even sure the Police got involved. Just a ride to the emergency room. Those were the days. :lookaroun:

Pete made a crossbow once out of a leaf spring from his older brothers Model A Ford project car.....but tha't a story for another day.

justleft
02-08-2008, 07:20 PM
A while back, I worked out in OC, right at the 5 and 405 confusion.
One of the engineers was really into beer brewing. He had
his 1st floor bath tub full of ice while fermenting a pilsner.

His 9 yr old son told his teacher that he couldn't use the bath
tub because his dad had it full of beer.

Next day the social worker is at the door. He had to prove that
this was a 4 bedroom/4 bath house and the boys had their own bathroom
with a shower and tub.

DSS set up 6 monthly visits to monitor the situation !!!!

Carl C
02-12-2008, 03:21 PM
:fam: