PDA

View Full Version : Any restoration experts?

DonziFreak
02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I need some serious advice here!!!

I'm trying to restore a '74 Trans-AM but am fighting a losing war.......

Rust is just slowly destroying the car....I've tried a lot of diffrent things and I'm starting to run out of options....Any advice anyone can offer me, anything that has worked for some of you guys, is very much appreciated!

P.S. To give you a idea of the extent of the damage.....the frame is destoyed in the back corners, which I will repair by welding in new pieces, but the body is just turning to junk.....I really want to try anything I can besides welding.....HELP PLEASE!

Carlos

hardcrab
02-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Man, I've been there.
Depends on how much love you've got for the project, but it sounds like a body off the frame rehab.

call these folks and get a catalog. You'll need it.

Eastwood
263 Shoemaker rd.
Pottstown, PA 19464

1-800-345-1178
www.eastwood.com

Carl C
02-06-2008, 07:33 AM
It's a uni-body isn't it? I don't think there is any way to save it if it's that rusted, at least without spending more than the car will ever be worth. You need to find one that hasn't seen salt or sat in a field. I went through several old Mustangs when younger that just rusted beyond repair. My '67 ragtop practically broke in half. The frame was gone, floor pans gone and every body panel rusted through when the car was only 10 years old.:(

VetteLT193
02-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Rust requires welding for a proper fix. Grind out the spots all the way, then weld in a new piece.

Step one on these cars is sub-frame connectors to sturdy up the chassis.