PDA

View Full Version : Air vent plugs

mjw930
02-05-2008, 10:12 AM
So, how do you keep water from streaming into the bilge through the top deck vents when you wash your Classic?

Has anyone fabricated plugs or do you just stuff a towel in there?

VetteLT193
02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
So, how do you keep water from streaming into the bilge through the top deck vents when you wash your Classic?

Has anyone fabricated plugs or do you just stuff a towel in there?

water gets into the bilge in many places on a classic, and the air vents aren't over anything that can't get wet so I just wash without doing anything.

Carl C
02-05-2008, 04:14 PM
More water gets in by running off the hatch and trickling through the drain holes. I think it was GCarter that made an ingenious fix to route the water overboard. He was concerned about rain water while docked with the ****pit cover on. I just try to spray a minimal ammount of water there.

Ooops, I said a bad word......:doh:

MOP
02-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Carl that was me that made up the hatch drains, the damn hatch with sink t he boat long before the vents. Several of our guys that leave their boats on the hoists have found the bilges full or the battery dead. On particular heavy rain storm I watched my bilge pump run about evry 10 minutes for 3 hours, I was some glad I hadual batteries. People just have no idea how much water the hatch sheds into the bilge.

Phil

mjw930
02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Carl that was me that made up the hatch drains, the damn hatch with sink t he boat long before the vents. Several of our guys that leave their boats on the hoists have found the bilges full or the battery dead. On particular heavy rain storm I watched my bilge pump run about evry 10 minutes for 3 hours, I was some glad I hadual batteries. People just have no idea how much water the hatch sheds into the bilge.

Phil

One of these on the opposite side from the bilge fitting (for that balanced look ;) , some hose and a couple fittings and you're in business.

http://www.defender.com/images/500045.jpg

I realize water is going to get in through those 2 small drain holes but someone without a clue could easily point the business end of the hose at those front facing vents and push a tone of soapy water directly into the bilge about 20 time faster than those small holes will let it in. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

For now I just stiff a rag in them so the water runs around them. I may cut out some foam caps some rainy day when I have nothing better to do.

yeller
02-06-2008, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=mjw930;437263]So, how do you keep water from streaming into the bilge through the top deck vents when you wash your Classic?
QUOTE] I don't.

I often run in the salt so I intentionaly spray water in them. If I don't, they corrode on the inside and look like crap.

margo
02-08-2008, 02:41 PM
[quote=mjw930;437263]So, how do you keep water from streaming into the bilge through the top deck vents when you wash your Classic?
QUOTE] I don't.

I often run in the salt so I intentionaly spray water in them. If I don't, they corrode on the inside and look like crap.
Take one of those foam noodles that everyone uses to swim with and cut a piece out to fit in the vent ...cheap fix couple of bucks

mjw930
02-08-2008, 04:55 PM
[quote=yeller;437422]
Take one of those foam noodles that everyone uses to swim with and cut a piece out to fit in the vent ...cheap fix couple of bucks

That's exactly what I plan on doing, :wink:

BigGrizzly
02-08-2008, 06:19 PM
I solved the problem by removing the drain plug and wash it on the trailer. I have not let it bother me since 1966 when I got my first Donzi