PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Shores, AL - Any thots or ideas???

FISHIN SUCKS
02-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Barbi, the kids (2), and myself are going to Gulf Shores, AL, for springbreak the first week of April. I was wanting to know if there are any 'must see's' or maybe even a good fishing charter (I know, my handle doesn't reflect the last thot, you just gotta know my story)? Are there any water taxi's there to take you on tours or anything? We are meeting up with some friends down there that go camping there, but we are hotel'ing it in Orange Beach. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated:),

tom

Team Jefe
02-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Have Fun Tommy. I don't know any guides in the area, but I will check with my Louisiana buds and see if they know of anyone.

RedDog
02-04-2008, 11:45 AM
hit the Florbama Lounge

Trueser
02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Great place for the kids. where you staying?

FISHIN SUCKS
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanx guys!

High Cotton is a charter my buddy has used a few years ago. Said he was really good, but charged $1,200 (includes tip) for 4 hours and a maximum of 8 people...is this a good rate or is this a little salty (pun intended)? Can we rent you for less, Jeff?

10-4 on the Florbama, I'll ask the hotel where it's at:drunk:.

I booked our room at the Holiday Inn Express in Orange Beach-On The Beach (I get my hotels for free with the Holiday Inn chain).

p729lws
02-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanx guys!
High Cotton is a charter my buddy has used a few years ago. Said he was really good, but charged $1,200 (includes tip) for 4 hours and a maximum of 8 people...is this a good rate or is this a little salty (pun intended)? Can we rent you for less, Jeff?
10-4 on the Florbama, I'll ask the hotel where it's at:drunk:.
I booked our room at the Holiday Inn Express in Orange Beach-On The Beach (I get my hotels for free with the Holiday Inn chain).

Florabama is a few miles to the east on the beach just acrss the state line. Another cool waterfront bar in Orange Beach is Tacky Jacks. LuLu's (Jimmy Buffet's sister) is not too far away in Gulf Shores. Try the fish tacos if you go.

Dan

Team Jefe
02-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Thanx guys!

That sounds a little pricey for 4 hours...if it was a full day trip then the price is right there. Still I am judging based on TX & LA Charters... and the fuel prices are really affecting things.

As for me....I'd love to, but Renee's spring break is a few weeks earlier, and I don't know the waters. Even if you picked up the fuel costs it would be $600ish. The charters are your best bet. I'll do some checking.

Barry Eller
02-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Hey Tom,

So you're coming to the Redneck Riviera!

You will be close to me in the Pensacola area!

Here is a link to Gulf Shores fishing charters...

http://www.gulfshores.com/fishing/fishing-charters-cruises/

Barry

ITTLFLI
02-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Barbi, the kids (2), and myself are going to Gulf Shores, AL, for springbreak the first week of April. I was wanting to know if there are any 'must see's' or maybe even a good fishing charter (I know, my handle doesn't reflect the last thot, you just gotta know my story)? Are there any water taxi's there to take you on tours or anything? We are meeting up with some friends down there that go camping there, but we are hotel'ing it in Orange Beach. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated:),
tom

Try Hazel's for breakfast. They have cool boat pics on the wall and good food! Ask the owner if he remembers his ride in the "Batboat"?

Team Jefe
02-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Tommy - I am drawing a blank. Nobody I have spoken to has any real knowledge of the charters in the areas. I will keep looking and I looked at the web site Barry put up. Mostly they did not jump out at me, but there were a few.

http://www.gulfinfo.us/captmike/ I've seen these guys in the Saltwater Sportsman.

http://www.catchredsnapper.com/ these folks look to have several options.

http://www.coolchangecharter.com/ a possibility but I'd bet they are pricey.

http://www.distractioncharters.com/alabamacharterboatpricing/pricingforfishingboatcharters.asp these folks sound pretty good.

I have work to go do....sux...but I'll look for more later.

As you are browsing the sites think about what you need in a charter.

For me, I want MAX fishing space, thus A center Console, but you may need MAX play/relax/get out of the sun space for the Kids and Barbi, thus a pure Sport Fish boat (Hatteras, etc.). It seems that something in the middle would actually be the best. Good fishing room with some creature comforts... especdially if you're going out all day....Thus an Express (luhrs, etc. I think Barely Legal above is an express).

In general, prices are higher than for TX & LA, but then again it is "Blue Water to the Beach" around there....I gotta go 25-40 miles offshore to hit Blue Water most times.

Good Luck Amigo....If y'all can hook on to some Amberjack like those boys in the website pic....that will be VERY exciting.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanx for the help Barry, Dan, Byron, Jeff, et all! Who needs a tour guide when I have all you guys:yes:?! I love that 'Redneck Riveira' line Barry, never heard that one. Tentatively, Barbi wants to drive down and drag the bikes along (no, not Harleys, the other kind). Besides, she doesn't like to fly as I just found out! And we will leave the Widow at home, so I thought this fishin' idea would at least get me out on the water. I don't know, maybe I can find a place to just rent a boat:boat:.