PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Cookie found on my computer

fasttrucker
02-03-2008, 01:03 PM
My computer was running slow:doh:,so I checked the Norton security program.It found a tracking cookie:shocking: and I wonder how it got in my computer?.:confused:.After I removed it,the computer speed is much faster.:nilly:

Trueser
02-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Try running SPYBOT latest version. free download

You may have more problems..

justleft
02-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Adware Away is another good one. It finds and removes the nas-t ones.
Ad-Aware 2007 is also good. But it still deletes too many
of my cookies, keep having to log in.

But be careful allot of the spyware detection programs are also spyware installers.

BUIZILLA
02-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Norton is worthless..

don't shoot me

Trueser
02-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Norton is worthless..
don't shoot me

I agree. Resource hog and a real pain in the rear to remove.

Carl C
02-04-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm running slow too. How do you find and delete cookies? I'm running AVG.

Carl C
02-04-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm running slow too. How do you find and delete cookies? I'm running AVG. Never mind, I figured it out. I had a tracking cookie slowing me down too. Had to log out and back in. Maybe everyone needs to check for this.:confused:

edit: Still running super slow mo. Freezes up sometimes too. Other sites seem OK.

RedDog
02-04-2008, 07:28 AM
every site you log into gives you a tracking cookie. Some are more obnoxious than others. As mentioned above, download and run Lavasoft's Ad-Aware (free). Also download and install Microsoft Defender (free) for real-time protection

I also agree, Norton is useless (unless you are referring to motorcycles)

LKSD
02-04-2008, 09:33 AM
every site you log into gives you a tracking cookie. Some are more obnoxious than others. As mentioned above, download and run Lavasoft's Ad-Aware (free). Also download and install Microsoft Defender (free) for real-time protection

I also agree, Norton is useless (unless you are referring to motorcycles)

Ditto.. :) Both of those programs work very well.. jamie

yeller
02-04-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm running slow too. How do you find and delete cookies? I'm running AVG.
I used to run AVG, but it would often identify virus' but not remove them. Try Avast, Carl, much better than AVG IMO

Carl C
02-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Yeller, is Avast free? I installed Lavasoft Ad-Aware which said it was free, then I did a test and it found hundreds of parasites etc., then it said that I had to complete 3 steps to remove them and one step was paying $20!:doh: What happened to being free? I don't mind the money but I do not put my credit card info into any site. I have too much to lose. Maybe I screwed up and there is a truly free version.:crossfing: I'll play with it some more but I won't give them a credit card #.:(

Cuda
02-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Yahoo has a free spyware. I'm running it right now. Takes just over a minute.

It found 32 items, and 52 objects in 53 seconds, then I removed them all.

yeller
02-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Avast is free. Definately better than AVG, and AVG is good.

www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Carl C
02-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Avast is free. Definately better than AVG, and AVG is good.

www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html (http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html) Thanks, I'll look into it. I think I figured out the Lavasoft install but it seems that the free version isn't so good anymore.:smash:

yeller
02-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks, I'll look into it. I think I figured out the Lavasoft install but it seems that the free version isn't so good anymore.:smash:I just suggested avast for an anit-virus program. You'll still need something for spyware.