PDA

View Full Version : the kind of people one meets on the internet

gold-n-rod
02-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Oh sure, I've been ripped off on eBay. I've gotten thousands of scam emails over the years (especially the ones who want me to "share their wealth"). And I've had my eBay and Hotmaill accounts hijacked over the years. But listen to this:

Last month, I broke a factory mudflap on my Tacoma. Of course, Toyota wants an arm and a leg (along with both nuts) for a replacement set. So, I posted a WTB post on a Tacoma website to which I belong.

One guy posted that he had a pair that I could have for $50. That being a bargain, I went along for 2 weeks trying to set up the transaction. Finally, he wrote to say they were no longer for sale. Of course, he got a bigger offer.

Next, a guy posted that he'd send me one if I paid the postage. Wary of a scam, I sent him my mailing address along with a promise to pay.

I never heard back, but today, I received a parcel with the flap inside..... in perfect condition. Wow!

Here's a guy who sent me (a total stranger) an item of value based only his trust of his fellow man. I've been "that guy" several times, but today I was the recipient!

Good does triumph over evil. :) And the internet isn't all bad. End of story.

BlownCrewCab
02-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Thats great!!!! I Expected to read how you got ripped. I'd send the dude and extra couple bucks just for being the decent person everyone should be...

Tony
02-01-2008, 09:19 PM
It's KARMA, Randy, just like the main theme on one of TV's funniest shows...My Name is Earl.
Hey, come to think of it, Earl's brother is named Randy!
Now...that is really funny, especially if you've seen the show and know the character.

:beer:

yeller
02-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Yes, there a few good people left in this world. One of them happens to be our own...Madpoodle. About a year ago, I needed some parts and he gave me a price. I said, sounds good, where do I send the $. His response: parts are on the way, billing info is on the invoice. I'd never met or spoken with MP before and he sends me the parts without asking for payment.

A big :beer: :salute: :thewave: :clap: :thumbsup: to people like that.

Team Jefe
02-02-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm not a big internet surfer or buyer or anything really. Angel does most of that for me and has a good nose for scams, etc.

This site is the one place I go to by far most often. Partially now because I've met so many of the member sin person, but also becasue I think we have more than our share of "Good" People on here.

We can be a little intolerant of those not in lock step with us, but even that is not as bad as alot of sites I have monitored over the past few years.

The Mad Dog is a GREAT example:yes::yes::yes:....but we have many other.

The fact that we have so many outings and events with folks from all over the country is a testament to that!

chappy
02-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Good does triumph over evil. :) And the internet isn't all bad. End of story.

That kind of sums it all up right there. Good thread.:thumbsup:

f_inscreenname
02-02-2008, 10:20 AM
M/P has done me right a couple times.:wink: Then there is Bennett (the trim tab people). Never a word about money just want your address.
My hat also goes off to people like the 1st Scott and a lot of others that build these websites (mostly out of pocket and all their own time). It's not like we make any money at it and that’s for sure. It's just for the love of it.

Tony
02-02-2008, 12:38 PM
p729lws (Dan Nye) has done me two major solids...and I've never met him.
Trueser spent two hours in my bilge swapping out my thermostat...the first time I met him!
Brad Hulce has towed me once, Randy Bell has towed me twice.
The list could probably go on.
The key is to make sure that you are reciprocating favors...to someone. Kind of like the "pay it forward" theme.

:beer:

WingWing
02-02-2008, 02:55 PM
karma is a good thing.

22billyzx
02-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Ive had my account "compromised"on e-bay,but never ripped off. they seem to do a decent job of informing you of any suspicous activities. some guy had cell phones for sale under my account ( how the hell do they do that?) and i recieved a few nasty e-mails from people wanting their product. if you use these sites often enough,sooner or later.....