PDA

View Full Version : 383 SBC Chevrolet Marine Engine complete

Forrest
02-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Soon to be available from my X-18:

77 hours of use with full fresh-water cooled closed cooling system. Raw water never run though block, heads, or exhaust manafolds - only antifreeze mix. Mobil One only.

* 383 CID SBC Wheeler Motorsports (Jacksonville, FL) 4-bolt main rotating assembly (2-piece rear seal).
* KB Claimer Hyperutectic flat-top pistons
* Pink rods (5.7") with ARP Bolts
* Wheeler Motorsports crankshaft
* 393441 port matched heads (9.6:1 static CR) w/ 2.02" intakes
* Ferria stainless steel valves (intake and exhaust)
* Crane H-272-2 flat-tappet camshaft kit (http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=113941&lvl=2&prt=5)
* Cloyes true roller timing set
* Weiand Stealth intake manifold with ARP Stainless Steel bolts
* Mallory Marine magnetic distributor
* Summit Racing spiro-core ignition wires
* Weiand classic finned aluminum valve covers
* Holley marine mechanical fuel pump
* Fel-Pro marine gaskets & one-piece oil pan gasket
* Milodon water circulation pump w/ billet aluminum pulley,
* Billet aluminum crankshaft pulley
* Melling high volume oil pump with ARP shaft
* New Fel-Pro head bolts
* Flywheel with 383/400 counter-weight
* Brass freeze plugs
* No carburator
* Marine motor mounts
* Chriscraft cast aluminum oil-pan

$2250

The following related parts are available at an additional cost, but not before the engine sells:

** Mercruiser "255 HP" hi-capacity cast-aluminum marine oil pan. $200

** Mercrusier hi-capacity heat-exchanger . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $250

** GIL SBC Exhaust Manifolds with Rex marine ultra-low profile stainless steel risers that will fit under an X-18 hatch . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1300

marcdups
02-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Forrest, HP rating, and what else do I need to make it a drop in?? also any pics??
The elusive Towel Boy :lookaroun:

VetteLT193
02-06-2008, 02:02 PM
oh man would this engine be killer in the Minx... right city too. Wife will kill me though.

I think I can talk her into the Gil exhaust though, please let me know when they are available.

Donzi Racer
02-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Soon to be available from my X-18:

77 hours of use, fresh-water cooled closed cooling system. Raw water never run though block/heads only antifreeze mix.

* 383 CID SBC Wheeler Motorsports (Jacksonville, FL) 4-bolt main rotating assembly (2-piece rear seal).
* KB Claimer Hyperutectic flat top pistons
* Pink rods with ARP Bolts
* 393441 port matched heads (9.6:1 static CR) w/ 2.02" intakes
* Ferria stainless steel valves (intake and exhaust)
* Crane H-272-2 flat-tappet camshaft kit
* Cloyes true roller timing set
* Weiand Stealth intake manifold with ARP Stainless Steel bolts
* Mallory Marine magnetic distributor
* Summit Racing spiro-core ignition wires
* Weiand classic finned aluminum valve covers
* Holley marine mechanical fuel pump
* Fel-Pro marine gaskets & one-piece oil pan gasket
* Milodon water circulation pump w/ billet aluminum pulley,
* Billet aluminum crankshaft pulley
* Melling high volume oil pump with ARP shaft
* Flywheel with 383/400 counter-weight
* No carburator
* Marine motor mounts
* Chriscraft cast aluminum oil-pan

$2250

The following related parts are available at an additional cost, but not before the engine sells:

** Mercruiser "255 HP" hi-capacity cast-aluminum marine oil pan. $200
** Mercrusier hi-capacity heat-exchanger . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $250
** GIL SBC Exhaust Manifolds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $750
** Rex marine ultra-low profile stainless steel risers . . . . . . . . . . . $550

Forrest, that sounds very nice. What would you estimate the HP at and any torque idea? It sounds like it would be ready to drop and go if the gil exhaust and a carb were purchased. The closed system comes with it, correct? If I did not read enough to see that, I apoligize, my eyes start glazing over when I see things like valves, cranks, cams, & risers. Ha ha I am not in a hurry, but would want it for a Minx also. Think it would do the trick to quicken it up a bit over stock? Be ok to run a Alpha if you were easy on the acceleration? Hope Mike doesn't see this. Just looking Mike, just trying to make your life a little easier. Yeah Right! Thanks, Tom

BlownCrewCab
02-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Tom, So, Now I'm Going to have 4 motors in my garage???? I Like it, a Man can never have enough motors layin around. This would be a good motor for you to put in something. looks like it has some good stuff in it.

Forrest
02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
To answer some of your questions . . .

. . . What would you estimate the HP at and any torque idea? . . .
I never actually dynoed it, but from what I remember, when the specs were run through Engine Analyzer v3.2, it comes out to somewhere around 370 HP with a 600 cfm carb, but I'll need to confirm that number by again running the engine specs through the program again. Once I do that, I will post the torque vs HP graph on this thread. When I built this engine, my main focus was on buiding it to run all day and have lots of torque under 5000 RPM at a certain price point. Clearly, you can build 383 small blocks with more HP, but doing that will move the torque/HP curve to a higher RPM range and the build cost would be higher, neither of which I wanted. That being said, however, you can easily turn this engine to above 5500 RPM if you would like.

The cam card can be found here:
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=113941&lvl=2&prt=5

. . .It sounds like it would be ready to drop and go if the gil exhaust and a carb were purchased.
Almost. You will need an alternator, starter motor and wiring harness. I can give you an alternator and starter motor, but they won't be pretty. Also, the engine comes with oil pressure and water temp senders and an ignition coil, as well as what was listed in the ad above.

. . . The closed system comes with it, correct? . . .
No, not entirely. Since some folks may opt to run raw-water cooling, the heat exchanger with its associated hoses is priced separately; however, everything else is there such as the Mercruiser thermostat housing set and the high capacity Milodon water circulation pump, which BTW should not be used with raw water cooling. Also, the Fel-Pro marine head gaskets used in this engine are suitable for raw water cooling.

. . . ok to run an Alpha if you were easy on the acceleration?
Thanks, Tom
Ahhh well Tom . . . just go easy on it. Bigger things have been put in front of Alphas before.

While on the subject of drives, I do have a brand new complete Volvo SX drive package for sale at a great price which would make a perfect combo with this 383.

The Volvo SX package is located here:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51745

oh man would this engine be killer in the Minx... right city too. Wife will kill me though.

Man, I hate it when that happens! :smash:

I think I can talk her into the Gil exhaust though, please let me know when they are available.
The purchaser of the engine has first refusal to any and all extra parts listed.

. . . what else do I need to make it a drop in?? also any pics??
The elusive Towel Boy :lookaroun:
Towel Boy! It's great to hear that you are still alive and kickin'!

First, pictures will be coming soon once I pull the engine and get it on a motor stand; however, I did have one picture on my PC from when I built the engine a few years back that is posted below. Mind you that I will need to clean it up a little in order for to look as good as it looks in this picture.

Now, in addition to the items listed above, you will need a carburetor, flame arrestor, and throttle cable bracket. I ran a 600cfm Holley - and a 750cfm carb will probably get you a few more ponies - you can go a little further before refueling with the smaller carb. Also, I would highly recommend the Mercruiser "255 HP" hi-capacity cast-aluminum marine oil pan over the included Chris Craft cast aluminum oil pan. The Mercruiser pan holds somewhere around eight quarts and has a port that can used for an oil temp gauge. You will also need at coupler for at two-piece rear main seal motor, if you don't already have one.

Thanks you all for your inquiries,