PDA

View Full Version : 911 Experts

The Hedgehog
02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Porsche guys.

I am betting that someone around here is an expert on 911's. My father is doing some homework on them and will probably buy one. I know that we do boats here, but I am thinking that more than one or two of you know a good bit about the subject. Anyone care to comment? What years are best? What do you want to avoid? etc.

I seem to remember Buizilla knew something about them.

mjw930
02-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Porsche guys.

I am betting that someone around here is an expert on 911's. My father is doing some homework on them and will probably buy one. I know that we do boats here, but I am thinking that more than one or two of you know a good bit about the subject. Anyone care to comment? What years are best? What do you want to avoid? etc.

I seem to remember Buizilla knew something about them.

I've owned a few P-Cars so I might be able to help.

The $$$ he has budgeted will dictate a lot of the decision. As a rule of thumb the advice is buy the newest 911 you can afford.

With that said I AM NOT a fan of the '89 - '92 911 Carrera 2/4 (964 series).

In the older models there are some GREAT deals on late '80s 911 3.2 versions, my favorites are the '87 and '88's.

Prior to that I think a '80 - '83 911 SC is a great value. With modest updates these are 200,000 mile cars. Rebuilds are relatively cheap so if you find one that's tired mechanically but in great cosmetic shape you can make out like a bandit.

If your budget is higher the best deals are on '98 - '01 996's. These are the first in the water cooled cars and are better in every measure than the cars they replaced but can be had for about the same money as a mid '90s 993 (the last of the air cooled 911's).

If your budget can stand it then the epitome of the 911, IMHO is the '96 - '97 993. These were the last of the air cooled cars and they were engineering works of art.

Hope it helps. If you can let me know his budget I can hone this a bit more.

mjw930
02-01-2008, 04:33 PM
FYI, here's the stable of Porsche's that have at one time or another graced my garage

'73 914
'79 911
'84 944
'81 911
'89 930
'03 Boxster S (still in the garage)
'04 Cayenne Twin Turbo

McGary911
02-01-2008, 04:40 PM
It depends on what year you're looking at. There were a lot of problems with the 2.7 litre cars....they pulled a lot of head studs. I've had 5 Porsches over the years, a few 911s and a couple of 914s. Currently have a 78 911 SC......

Last Tango knows quite a bit about them as well......

Give us a few more details, and we'll steer you right.

The Hedgehog
02-01-2008, 04:42 PM
That is great insight. I will find out some more and drop you a pm

mjw930
02-01-2008, 05:01 PM
It depends on what year you're looking at. There were a lot of problems with the 2.7 litre cars....they pulled a lot of head studs. I've had 5 Porsches over the years, a few 911s and a couple of 914s. Currently have a 78 911 SC......

Last Tango knows quite a bit about them as well......

Give us a few more details, and we'll steer you right.

Ya just need to know the right P-Car mechanic :wink:

The 2.7L motor is usually attached to what would be considered a light weight 911 (mid '70s). That motor can be built to put 250+ hp to the rear wheels and live for 100,000+ miles. 250 HP in a 2400 lb car goes real well. If you need what I consider to be the best air cooled Porsche motor builder on the South East I can hook you up, he's only down the road from you in Orlando.

BTW, a 2.7L 911 S is one of the most sought after older 911's on the planet. If you own one you have a nice retirement plan working........

BUIZILLA
02-01-2008, 05:54 PM
not sure of the budget here... but...

actually, '98 is the last air cooled year, '99 was first wet block... you couldn't give me a 99, well you CAN, but i'd sell it for a 2001-2002...

I agree 1000% on the above 95-97 comment, 98 is getting to be stupid money...

'95 is a one year only masterpiece, non OBDII, first year 993 body, a lifetime keeper, and my all time fave...

87-88 are real fun years, cheap to keep, 964 bumpers fit, a/c sucked...

early 80's SC is a FUN car... beat it up, blow it up, fix it up, do it all over again.... and again.... and again....

I just yesterday bought a brake controller for a customers '91 car, and it cost me $3200.... ughhh

now, mind you, I have never owned one, but I follow them on a DAILY basis...

superhatz
02-02-2008, 03:27 AM
Feel free to give me a call. I own a Porsche shop.

www.flat6.com

mjw930
02-02-2008, 08:05 AM

www.flat6.com (http://www.flat6.com)

There you go, an expert within our midst. I looked through your projects section and I'm impressed, too bad you are all the way up North ;)

ALL of them are gems but this one is something I'd REALLY love to have in my stable.

http://www.flat6.com/images/project993lw09.jpg

http://www.flat6.com/images/project993lw10.jpg

mjw930
02-02-2008, 08:17 AM
not sure of the budget here... but...

actually, '98 is the last air cooled year, '99 was first wet block... you couldn't give me a 99, well you CAN, but i'd sell it for a 2001-2002...

Yep, I messed that up......

'95 is a one year only masterpiece, non OBDII, first year 993 body, a lifetime keeper, and my all time fave...

I'm partial to the '96 version with the varioram. A few extra ponies on the top end and a much wider power band.

Your spot on about the '98's being stupid money but I only say that because I don't own one ;)

Back in 2000, when I still had my '89 930 I was looking real hard at picking up a '96 turbo. They were trading for about $50K back then. Those SAME cars are in the $70K bracket. For that money I can buy a 996 turbo simply because the "Porschephiles" still have a love affair for the air cooled cars. Of course that's not really a bad thing since I drove my '89 for 4 years and sold it for exactly what I paid for it.

Mac
02-02-2008, 09:13 AM

www.flat6.com (http://www.flat6.com)

A friend of mine and I were recently talking about Porsches. He was trying to figure out what year would be best in terms of reliability for a daily driver with a $30k or so price limit. What would you reconmend?

The Hedgehog
02-02-2008, 10:53 AM
So what are we talking about for price on these different years?

gcarter
02-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Many of the older ones also suffer from the tin worm.:eek!:

justleft
02-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Excellence magazine is the standard.

http://www.excellence-mag.com/art2/art2p1.html

You can get a free issue. They list all of the market prices.

Right now I have a 914-6, 2.7, carbs, 930 brakes & hubs........ etc, etc, etc.

Last Tango
02-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Well, I guess I need to add my name to the list of folks here.
My name is Mark A. Laszlo and I am a Porscheholic.
I bought my first Porsche in 1972 and there have been 16 more after that including my current. My credentials (rap sheet? Treatment chart?) as an owner and PCA member are long and deep.
You have received some very good advice to so far:
1: Buy the newest Porsche model year you can afford. MJW930
2: Excellence Magazine is a premier source of information on new and old Porsches and their pricing, and what to look for when shopping. JUSTLEFT. I will add that you should subscribe to and read this magazine for at least 6 months before purchasing a Porsche.
3. There are no inherently bad Porsches. Just waaay too many bad owners. LAST TANGO
All Porsches need regular maintenance and TLC to make them last a long time. ALL will be rewarding.
I suggest that you stretch your buying dollars to aquire a 996 (M.Y. 1999-2004).
If you can't reach that high, then a 993 (M.Y. 1995-1998). 1998's will cost a premium because that was the last year of the aircooled 911 and therefore have perceived value, but no actual technical changes from 1997.
Each succeeding new generation 911 has been superior to its predecessors in handling and performance (you are the beholder when it comes to your styling preferences).
Each generation has had its minor problems early on, including many that have been blown way out of proportion by repetition (the new Cayman immediately got a reputation for bad clutch systems, which were the result of about a dozen early production cars with misadjusted pressure plate bolts).
A nice 996 with about 35,000 miles is a good candidate since it has not been driven into the ground, has had the benefit of some time and dealer service at 15,000 and 30,000, is probably well into its second set of tires, and has had factory bugs eliminated under warranty service.
996's are a really good buy right now. Too new to be of interest to collectors, and too old to be sought by new car buyers.
My only warning is this: Be prepared for the onset of Porsche Fever. If you buy one, you may end up buying more down the road. This will lead to the dreaded Porscheholic, which is totally incurable, and is financially crippling and ultimately socially crippling as you will only be happy when around other Porscheholics. You will sneer at Corvette and BMW owners and become an insufferable bore with all the shirts and jackets and "stuff" you will buy and wear everywhere.
I speak from 36 years experience.

mjw930
02-03-2008, 08:56 PM
One more thing to add, don't limit yourself to 911's. Boxsters are a great first Porsche.

IMHO the 2003 - 2004 Boxster S is one of the best Porsche deals out there right now, especially if you like top down motoring and appreciate one of the best handling cars in the world.

A clean 2003 Boxster S is a low $30K car, less if it has a few miles on it. '03 and '04's are preferable for the minor changes such as glass rear window and a glovebox. The "S" model IS worth the extra $$$$.