PDA

View Full Version : Winter Wonderland...

Tony
02-01-2008, 10:57 AM
...is one of Michigan's unofficial nicknames. Consider:

Tuesday - mid-forties and rain, back roads iced over, no school.
Wednesday - 5 degrees, wind chill 30 below, no school because of blizzard.
Friday - 8" of snow, 4 more expected, no school because of snowstorm.

It's often said if you don't like the weather in Michigan just wait until tomorrow, it will likely change!

:beer:

boxy
02-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Tony, the storm that started in Michigan last night is just starting to hit here, we are expecting upwards of a foot in the next 12 hours, then mix in a little freezing rain tomorrow and things should be nice.
In your board do they actually close the schools or just the buses. Here they cancel the buses, but keep the schools open, because if they close them they lose that day's funding out of the budget.
They cancelled the buses today 4 hours before the storm started because the weather was going to be bad to get the kids home this afternoon.

Carl C
02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Tony, it's Winter, WATER Wonderland!:wink: It looks like northern Oakland County got lucky. We were supposed to have 6-10 by 2:00 PM. The snow has mostly stopped and we have 4 or 5 inches. What happened to the global warming? I'm really looking forward to year round boating in Michigan.:wink:

Tony
02-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Steve, a lot of our kids are bussed, as we are in a rural area. Each school district makes the call to close or not, primarily based on the ability of the buses to traverse the back roads. Three in one week is, admittedly, too many. It's better to have them spread out so that they are more like a deserved break for the kids.

We have 5 "snow days" built into our calendar, if we go over that we have to make them up in June. We are at 4 already, so I'm hoping February goes easy on us. Tacking on more days in June is not appealing to teachers.

:beer:

Carl C
02-01-2008, 08:34 PM
We have 5 "snow days" built into our calendar, if we go over that we have to make them up in June. We are at 4 already, so I'm hoping February goes easy on us. We'll find out tomorrow when the groundhog comes out. How much snow is in northern Michigan now?

Donziweasel
02-02-2008, 02:59 PM
JH Weather

Tue 1/29- 7 inches
Wed 1/30- 3 inches
Thur 1/31- 4 inches
Fri 2/1- 15 inches
Sat 2/2 6 inches

35 inches in 5 days. Skiied Grand Targhee yesterday and today and it was epic! Some of the best conditions I have seen in 14 years

Forecast for tonight- 5-12 inches.
Forecast from now till April- SNOW

Patti
02-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Here in the most NW part of Hillsdale county we got about a foot but it warmed a bit today and we had some melting!

Monday and Tuesday are due to be mid 40's so i'm sure we'll have more snow melt and flooding..yay lol...we don't flood but the St Joe river runs through town.