PDA

View Full Version : Bravo hinge pin bushing

mjw930
01-31-2008, 07:31 PM
I just love it when you start pulling the covers off a used boat...... :shocking:

In troubleshooting a trim indicator issue I noticed the trim limit switch wasn't limiting. I removed both the trim indicator and the trim limit switch to find the limit switch plastic splines had been broken off inside the hinge pin. The starboard side with the indicator was fine.

Looking at it a bit deeper it became obvious that the port side has a lot more play in it than the starboard side. I haven't taken the switch back off to look but it appears that the bushing has failed or has been worn to the point of allowing enough lateral motion to sheer off the insert from the limit switch.

Now the question, is there any way to replace the bearing without removing the gimbal housing? I don't need the trim limit switch, I've done without them on all my previous high performance boats by simply placing a mark on the indicator at the proper position. If it can't be done without removing the gimbal then I'll replace the switch, bushings, hinge pins and bellows all in one shot (why not replace everything if you are going through the trouble of removing the drive and the gimbal).

Is it normal for these bushing to wear out (I assume it is since they made it a replaceable part) and if so, does the port side usually wear out first due to driveline torque (RH prop)?

Oh, and some important information I forgot to mention. 7.4L / Bravo 1 repower in '96. 125 hours on the engine / drive with regular maintenance.

gcarter
01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
There is no bearing. The aluminum ring is the bearing. The wear occurs when the pin isn't greased regularly. The poor aluminum ring will get it every time when you have SST hinge pins running through it w/no grease.
This is what I did w/ the Minx's gimbal ring;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36266
The maching (honing) cost about $100. Replacing the bushings is very inexpensive.
I hope this helps.

mjw930
01-31-2008, 08:33 PM
There is no bearing. The aluminum ring is the bearing. The wear occurs when the pin isn't greased regularly. The poor aluminum ring will get it every time when you have SST hinge pins running through it w/no grease.
This is what I did w/ the Minx's gimbal ring;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36266
The maching (honing) cost about $100. Replacing the bushings is very inexpensive.
I hope this helps.

That's only true on Alpha's, Bravo's have a bushing. Here's the parts blowup and listings.

BTW, I did find that using search and if it's worn past the bushing I will have a sleeve machined in rather than buy a $800 gimbal ring ;)

gcarter
01-31-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure it's an actual bearing, more of an isolator.
But regardless, it's easy to remove the pins. All you need is a driver and a long breaker bar.

mjw930
01-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Additionally, there seems to be plenty of grease in the fitting so I'm thinking the bearing failed. There is some indication that the outdrive hit something or was grounded pretty hard based on the scrapes and slightly bent skeg so perhaps that impact caused the bearing to fail.

It's not terrible and with the drive down it's not bad, I just noticed it when I was changing props so it wasn't obvious when we surveyed the boat.

mjw930
01-31-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure it's an actual bearing, more of an isolator.
But regardless, it's easy to remove the pins. All you need is a driver and a long breaker bar.

I don't know what it's made of but here's a picture of the part. They also make a tool to remove and replace it.

That leads me to believe that it can't be removed by pulling it out, I'll have to get the gimbal out of the way so it can be pushed out.

gcarter
01-31-2008, 09:07 PM
OK, that looks good.
I used a power steering pump pulley puller. You know, the kind used for shafts with a threaded hole in the pump shaft. It was pretty easy with the liberal use af a few washers. Using this puller, you don't risk missing w/a hammer.

mjw930
01-31-2008, 09:14 PM
But the net of it is, the gimbal will need to come out.... :(

gcarter
01-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Not if all you do is replace the bushings. You can easily remove the bellhousing, or even not remove it and just shove it forward by compressing the bellows once you remove the pins. Either way, all you have to do is get the pin holes clear of any obstacles.

Newby
01-31-2008, 09:23 PM
On my 1993 Bravo II, the bushing is pressed into the gimbal ring. It was nylon and was not difficult to change. I was replacing the factory gimbal ring with a stainless steel aftermarket ring. You should be able to press in new bushings with the gimbal ring on the boat, but you will need to remove the bell housing. I would make certain that the gimbal ring was not warn out of round when the bushing failed.

mjw930
01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
I worded it wrong, I meant removing the bell housing but if it can be pushed forward enough without damaging the bellows then that sounds like the way to go. Since it's nylon I might be able to get it out by cutting it, I've done that many times on poly bushings on cars rather than removing the entire part.

If the gimbal ring is damaged I'll have to reassess the situation......

mjw930
01-31-2008, 10:48 PM
If I get into this I think I might just investigate these parts in place of the factory stuff.

http://www.hillmarine.com/sitebuilder/images/Gimbel_Ring_wbell_013-350x252.jpg

Along with the SS steering pin.

INTERESTING!

http://www.hillmarine.com/Gimbal.html
http://www.hillmarine.com/

gcarter
02-01-2008, 01:16 AM
I have occasionally seen them on eBay for as little as $450.00.

Newby
02-01-2008, 05:49 AM
I put the same set up you have pictured on my Bravo, including the stainless swivel pin, and it works great. I had a small issue with the clearance between the Gimbal ring and the Bell housing. I believe they may have resolved this by now. Also, the Gimbal ring came with new (plastic appearing?) Bushings already installed.

mjw930
02-01-2008, 05:58 AM
I put the same set up you have pictured on my Bravo, including the stainless swivel pin, and it works great. I had a small issue with the clearance between the Gimbal ring and the Bell housing. I believe they may have resolved this by now. Also, the Gimbal ring came with new (plastic appearing?) Bushings already installed.

Any additional corrosion issues considering they had issues with the original B3's because of the additional stainless with the second prop?

Newby
02-01-2008, 06:03 AM
The parts have only been on for about four months. The boat is currently in dry storage. No signs of corrosion so far. The parts from Ron Hill appeared to be machined very well.

BigGrizzly
02-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Tee brokrn stock parts on bravos is common place on Hipo motors when run hard. I talked to a dealer in Fl and he did over 600 in the past two years or less. I have seen several up here on this lake

MOP
02-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I had Poodle look into the HD pins and bushings last year, many people do not know they exist.

Phil

Madcow
02-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Problem with the HD ring assy. is there are no provitions for limiter or indicator.

mjw930
02-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Problem with the HD ring assy. is there are no provitions for limiter or indicator.

Yep, so then you get into adding mechanical indicators and being your own limiter.....

I took a closer look and the bushing seems to be there and not wallowed out, there's just a lot of slop between the pin and the bushing (the pin is tight). It's almost like the pin is too small or the bushing is 2 part and the inner part is gone.

Since the bushing is still there I'm not so concerned (meaning I can still use the boat while I decide what to so). I have a local Merc certified guy coming over to look at it next week to get his opinion. If I have to open it up then I'll just replace all the wear parts and only pay the labor once.

mjw930
02-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, I got the boat back from Speedmasters (http://www.speedmasters-inc.com/) today and you won't believe what the slop in the hinge pins was.

It seems some rocket scientist replaced the factory Bravo pins with Alpha pins :doh:

Ah the joys of buying a used boat :cool:

luckily nothing was damaged and the drive is good as new with all new bellows, gimbal bearing, hinge pins, bushings, trim senders, shift cable and repaired skeg. I'm just a little lighter in the wallet ;)