PDA

View Full Version : DVD codecs!

MOP
01-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I have a pretty decent system with a light scribe DVD, I am running XP Home. I popped a DVD in the player and got a message about unsupported codec, is it easy to get the right codecs??

Phil

synack
01-29-2008, 06:16 PM
The "legal" way is to use DVD playback software like PowerDVD or WinDVD. Of course this costs money but some systems come preloaded with this.

The "other" way is to do a google search for "k-lite codec pack"

joel3078
01-29-2008, 07:06 PM
WinXP by itself does not support playback of DVD movie disks. You have to add the 3rd party software or upgrade to WinXP media center version or go to Windows Vista. I have Vista Home Professional running one one of my computers and it plays DVDs either in the media center or it plays them via windows media player.

Lots of add on PC DVD players come with the 3rd party software to allow playback. I would have thought a litescribe player would have included this software.

Also be aware that lots of DVD movies have an option for installing playback software on a pc - this software is on the dvd movie disk. It will not ask you if you want to install the software if you are playing the disk on a regular dvd player - has to be a computer dvd player. The disks are smart enough to know what type of player you are using. Borrow a bunch of dvd disks from friends, kids, etc. and eventually you will run accross one of them that has the option to install the free playback sofware.

MOP
01-29-2008, 07:39 PM
I found the k-lite one and a few others most of the reviews were pretty bad, I have been to Best Buy they advised me to down load Media Player 11 has the codecs. I have 11 at work does not seem any better then what came with XP-2, I would like to find something on disc. I have a fist full ov DVD's, I just wanted to be able to watch them while Bonnie watched her girlie shows!!! I will try a few to see if they have the codecs, I don't feel like going through a big download.

Thanks for the tips!

Phil

penbroke
01-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Gotcha covered. Check your e-mail.

Frank :alligator

MOP
01-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks Frank Answer on its way!

Formula Jr
01-30-2008, 12:03 PM
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/VideoLAN.htm

The up above link will let you dload VLC .86d
Its the best of the DVD player freebees.

Your question sounded like you were also looking for a Light-Scribe driver.

http://www.lightscribe.com/DownloadSection/windows/index.aspx