PDA

View Full Version : oil filter nightmare

tom freeman
01-26-2008, 05:27 PM
i have an oil filter that is now half shreaded and hard to reach, it is totally stuck. Are there any tricks to try, it is a big problem for me now and I am at my wits end. it is on the rear of the block on the bottom and super hard to reach. I had a mechanic who really messed this thing up.

Carl C
01-26-2008, 05:33 PM
I've had to walk off a few with an air chisel on the base of the filter.

waxman
01-26-2008, 05:49 PM
ditto

BigGrizzly
01-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Tom I wondered what happened to you. I am just about to call. I am waiting for your next trip to Atlanta and hope to see you at the Miami show. As for the filter your mech put the thing on too tight and did not oil the O ring. There are several options. Channel locks , an adjustable strap wrench, the air chisel, and my favorite with CARE a Dremmel or air grinder. May
i suggest a remote oil filter mounting to eliminate the hard to get at syndrome.

tom freeman
01-27-2008, 06:48 PM
griz, I am good, retail was very hectic this year so I got real busy. when is the boat show down here?

I will try your cell tomorrow.

i really need a tiny midget mechanic to squeeze his butt into my boat to remove this filter. it is a real set back.

Carl C
01-28-2008, 07:18 AM
i really need a tiny midget mechanic to squeeze his butt into my boat to remove this filter. it is a real set back. First step is an oil filter wrench as close to the base as possible. Second step is giant channel locks, go ahead and crush the filter and see if it will budge. If not, your filter will be totally mangled by now and you will need to use the air chisel. Let it cut right through the filter side and bite into the base. This is very effective in turning them. If you are at this stage then I think you're right about finding a small mechanic who can get in there. Call around, this shouldn't cost too much especially in the off season.:alligator

Ed Donnelly
01-28-2008, 08:04 AM
I have had success by driving a big screwdriver through the center of the filter, then either pull with your hands, or, push with your foot............................Ed

Danny
01-29-2008, 09:07 AM
I apologize for my poor drawing skills.
I sheared off all of the casing of the filter down to the base. Then I made a wrench / tool to match the holes in base. I use a piece of oak at the time , I think a piece of .25 inch aluminum would work. I drilled a hole in the middle so the threaded attachment tube on the base would fit loosely in this hole. I then drilled 4 other holes in the head of the wrench that lined up with 4 of the circle of holes that oil follows through in the base of the filter. I then put 4 nuts and bolts through those holes protruding approximately .75 of an inch.
Use the base of your new filter to get an idea of the size and location of the holes and bolts.
Danny

yeller
01-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Holy cow Danny! That's a lot of work just to get a filter off.

I've always used Ed's method. :smash: Nothing like sheer violence to solve a problem.
I do like the air chisel though, don't know why I never thought of using one. :boggled:

glashole
01-29-2008, 01:00 PM
I have had success by driving a big screwdriver through the center of the filter, then either pull with your hands, or, push with your foot............................Ed

this must be the canadian way because i have always done it this way too :)

by the sounds of it is there enough filter left to actually grab??

justleft
01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Air chisel, I can never swing a hammer at a chisel
below the engine between the oil pan and stringer !!

Edit; Be really careful you don't cut through oil filter
and gouge filter mount !

tom freeman
01-29-2008, 08:21 PM
i have the tool and the chezel, saturday morning i go for it:angel::smash:

tom freeman
02-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Saturday I cut away the rest of the filter, then tried the tool that had 2 stainless pins that were welded to a metal strip like the one shown in this thread. After adding some muscle one of the 1/8" pins broke off. i had a strong helper and he had full leverage somehow. The bilge is so tight. I attached another pin and it bent...so much for the tool.

next the air chezel, cut my hand, went animal on the thing and NADA. I was done.

Sunday (today) a friend called me and suggested a hole saw. Faced with pulling the engine I tried it. I put a small metal tube around the pilot bit, and this was the perfect diamiter as to go into the center of the oil line and protect it from the drill bit. I used a 1 and 5/8" hole saw on a right angle drill. I cut a ring all the way thru, and all the way around the inside of the base of the filter. I went animal for like a hour and then... i cut thru. I tool a screwdriver and seperated the filter from the block. I unscrewed the remains of the center from the pipe.

I finally got the sucker off, well it was a great feeling. we are back up and runnng. unreal!

a nightmare turned into a dream:shocking::shocking::confused::confused::ange l::angel:

gcarter
02-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I was waiting for some good news!!!
Put lots of oil on the new one! And it don't have to be real tight.

tom freeman
02-03-2008, 07:19 PM
I was waiting for some good news!!!
Put lots of oil on the new one! And it don't have to be real tight.

I did and I bought a filter with a 1" nut on the top (bottom) the side that is not touching the block, thanks as always!

Danny
02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Broke the tool, cut myself, sounds like you had Murphy working with you.
Glad to hear that it came off. I can empathize with the whole scenario.
Danny