PDA

View Full Version : 22' Classic outboard w/twins - flying!

cigarette30
01-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Much awaited picture on the only FACTORY 22'Classic with twins. What do you guys think. Also found hull # DMR 22521182 - OB, this would be the best option to confirm if there is another factory outboard out there.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/sboxma22ob.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/sboxma22ob2.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/sboxma22ob3.jpg

<small>[ January 22, 2004, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Harbormaster ]</small>

terry
01-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Wow, that looks awesome!

McGary911
01-01-2004, 05:18 PM
That's gotta be a tight engine box!.....

<small>[ January 22, 2004, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Harbormaster ]</small>

Woodsy
01-01-2004, 05:29 PM
WOOHOO! Cig, That would be my hull number... please, please post the pix, any you may have. I would be interested in purchasing any copies...\

The plot thickens...

Woodsy Von Outboard :D :D

BUIZILLA
01-01-2004, 09:25 PM
eek! eek! eek! :p :cool:

cigarette30
01-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks Woodsy, and others...

Sorry I could not do it myself. The members clearly make this the best web site. I had severial offers to post quite promtly. Regarding the picture, if you notice the angle of the outboards, also note the lack of wave conditions to "air" the boat. I clearly remember the boat would "air" itself at top end, hence the request for additional glass from the factory, as it was constructed much lighter than a standard 22'. It was quite a ride.

I have additional air shots of the "Factory X-18 - 454". We will keep working on being able to post them ourselves. Thanks again guys.

Digger
01-02-2004, 04:36 AM
nuggets of history successfully mined and brought to light... that is EXTREMELY cool! So Woodsy, whatcha gonna name her??

Woodsy
01-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Digger,

After careful consideration and much drunken thought, her name shall be Stormbringer! The new graphic will be the std Woodsy Skull & Bones imposed on a Hurricane flag.... I am having a graphic artist work up the artwork. It should be pretty cool...

Woodsy Von Outboard... :D

in search of twins....

oldLenny
01-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Cigarette 30,...

I have additional air shots of the "Factory X-18 - 454". We will keep working on being able to post them ourselves. Thanks again guys.email them to me or something. I would love to see these shots!!! :eek

Thanx

Greg Maier
01-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Woodsy,

What size engines are you looking for?

Two Stroke or Four Stroke?

What is your prediction of top speed?

Woodsy
01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Greg,

Eventually (not this year, maybe next) she will be repowered & rergged with a pair of 2 stroke Merc OB's, probably a pair of counter-rotating 250XS Optimax's from Merc Racing.. they come dynoed in at 270hp or so... with a couple of jackplates, I am thinking I should see an easy 80... maybe a bit more...

Cig sent me enlargements (framed by the way), of the pix he posted of my boat. They are pretty incredible. I am guessing by the lack of hull in the water, she has to be doing over 80...

Cig, thanks again for the pix. As always please forward them to me as they come in to you. I am really interested in talking to the original owner at some point, as well as any pix of the rigging of the twins or dash... thanks SO much!

Woodsy Von Outboard :D

Fish boy
01-22-2004, 05:02 AM
Cooool! Now if I can only figure out how to get my outboard donzi out of the water like that...

Fish

harbormaster
01-22-2004, 08:57 AM
That boat and Woodsy's boats are cool.

BUT

Collectable boats not withstanding, I don't understand the fascination with outboards.
For the amount of money and effort spent to do the dual outboard thing. you could build a monster aluminum big block that would be a screamer. http://www.cnblocks.com/1070yw.htm

I even think that the inboard would last longer. The outboards don't appear to ME to made to last. I base this personal conclusion on 4 different friends that have high dollar outboards (Yamaha and Johnson) that have self destructed. The replacement costs are also out of the roof.

Someone enlighten me.

Fish boy
01-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Harbormaster,
I ageee with you to a certain extent, but it all depends on what you are using the boat for. The guys I run around with a lot of the time are OB guys and are 110-120mph+.

It is hard to get over 100mph in an inboard for less than 20K like you can easliy do with an OB tunnel boat.

OB's are alos a lot quieter at idle than their BB brothers. I fish when not trying to pick up chicks, and like the OB better. I also can get into much shallower water (weight, draw, and ability to raise the motor vertically and horizontally).

I know there are some pretty fast boats on this board, but I saw John (John & Bea) with his twin OB 26 cc pull away from a whole pack of i/o donzi's last year.

I will probably think of some more stuff, but for now I have to go put some breakin hours on my OB powerhead that I just rebuilt for the 4th time :mad: LOL

fish

Cuda
01-22-2004, 07:00 PM
I agree with MP. Outboards definelty make more sense economically. I had my last one on my fishboat for 14 years and only changed a trim pump in that time. There wasn't a thing wrong with it when I repowered, I just wanted a bigger engine.

On performance boats, I gotta have the V8 chebby sound! :)

Fish boy
01-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Speed freaks...

Imagine if you will...

Cruising along at 80mph...

that adrenaline rush comes over you...

you nail the throttle (hot foot)...

and the entire boat leaps out of the water like a funny car in need of wheelie bars...

for those of you having difficulty, here is a friend of mine named Parker showing off doing a "wheelie". I have also seen him do this with both hands straight above his head holding a bottle of maddog 20/20 in one of them. No wave necessary, just pure outboard acceleration a tunnel hull, and a large set of clock weights.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples98.jpg

PS, that is not a helmet he is wearing, it is a backwards limp bizkit looking baseball cap.

Greg Maier
01-22-2004, 07:43 PM
I would think if he can afford a boat, he could drink something a little better than Mad Dog. :)

Woodsy
01-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Scot...

My love affair with outboards started in my younger days. I learned to drive a boat and waterski in an old Thompson Lapstrake powered by a White Merc Dockbuster... I wish I still had that motor... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Its all about the "zap" of a 2-stroke motor, the acceleration, the sound, the smells... I'll be right back.. I gotta go down to the garage and fire up my sled...

Anyway, I kinda have to go along with what my favorite rabid dog posted (ya I know... go figure?). Anyway, before I switched to the dark side I seriously looked into repowering Miss October. The reality of that situation was, a decent setup ala Roadtrip (I can't even begin to go where Ted has gone) was going to run darn close to $20K to do it right, maybe a bit more depending on whatever else you need.

I have been looking at outboards for awhile, and thanks to our illustrious Mike Miller, I got to talk to the Merc Rep in Sarasota and ask him all sorts of stoopid questions. Some of the info I learned was pretty darn interesting. I can get a new (possibly leftover) pair of Merc Racing 250XS Optimax OB's for somewhere in the range of $22K or so. They are dynoed from Merc and put out approx 275hp ea, counter-rotating for stability, Sportsmaster lowers similar to CLE gearcases, have a variable X-dim courtesy of a jackplate, and come with a 3 year warranty. I am guessing mid to high 80's for speed... :D :D

Woodsy Von Outboard... planning the 2-stroke takeover of the world!!

cigarette30
01-22-2004, 08:36 PM
The entire time my friend owned the 22' with the twins (7-9 years) he NEVER had a single problem, ran the living **** of it, while my 454's, 502's, and now my 500 EFI's need CONSTANT care. Also, don't forget the value of the redundancy of the extra motor. How many, even the best of us, have not seen the tail end of a tow rope with just one motor. A 500 EFI at the same price of TWO outboards should be close to the same speed. After 1 NEW 350', 3 454's, 1 496'H.O, 2 500 EFIs, his outboards had more hours than ALL of mine combined! It looks like he was the smart one.

Fish boy
01-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Someone say twins??????

These bad boys are on the back of a 21' liberator that another friend has. Unbelievably fast, but suprisingly stable at well over 100 mph.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples99.jpg

Cuda
01-22-2004, 09:26 PM
A freind of mine is looking into having a 30 foot Superboat made with twin 300 OBs. He is tired of spending every weekend in the bilge. He wanted a Cat, but I know his wife will nix that idea quickly. He figures to run in the 90's with it.