PDA

View Full Version : Bling my boat from the 2008 Minneapolis Boat Show

DickB
01-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Here are a few pictures of the 2nd annual Bling My Boat contest winner. Apologies for the poor quality - camera phone. I thought the restoration was tastefully done - updated, but in the spirit of the original.

Rob M
01-25-2008, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the pics. I was wondering how this Hornet would turn out.
My 2 cents...I too wish they'd left it close to original - considering there were under 100 Hornets made - but I guess "bling" doesn't suggest they would...perhaps it was owner's choice (???)
I wonder if they just tossed the original deck vents, windshield frame, Hornet dash plate with Donzi Logo, original Teleflex gauges, Covico wheel, lamp mast housing - all these were evident and in good shape from the "pre-bling" video.

osur866
01-25-2008, 03:00 AM
dash and int. okay the platform, exhaust,windshield and graphics looks bad just IMO. Steve

RedDog
01-25-2008, 07:27 AM
I like it all except for the swirling graphics

DickB
01-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Here's a link with more information, but not the answers to all your questions:
http://www.minneapolisboatshow.com/attendees/contest/winner.aspx

DickB
01-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Perhaps I shouldn’t have used the term “restoration”, which I usually associate with making an older item look like new. Even if you’re not familiar with the make and model of this boat, it is clear from the before and after photos that this is not a stock restoration. By “tasteful”, I meant that it my opinion they did not go overboard, as with monster speakers and video screens in the dash. (There is an example of one of this type of makeover elsewhere at the show). To me, this is somewhat like classic cars. Some like to restore them to showroom stock condition, and others like to modify them, sometimes radically.

BUIZILLA
01-25-2008, 08:27 AM
in classic car terms.... it's called Resto Mod...

graphics can go buhbye

love the underdeck mod

REALLY groovin' on the side exhaust

so-so on the platform...

glashole
01-25-2008, 08:34 AM
love the rear seat

ky-donzi
01-25-2008, 08:41 AM
IMO they ruined it. A make-over should have been a power upgrade (496 would be nice), new (old looking) gauges, and everything else stock. The biggest heartbreak is the paint. Should have been an original scheme. But to eachs-own....... Opinions are like.....well you know the rest.

The Hedgehog
01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
I am down with the resto mod concept. I did some of that to my X-18. I steered toward resto.

I like a few things done to that boat. I would have definately kept the original paint, exhaust and some other goodies.

I am good with the gauges and some of the interior mods.

joel3078
01-25-2008, 09:29 AM
I'll take pics when i am down there tonite. The owner of the boat enters a contest along with many others and has little choice in how the boat is redone. It's a suprise like the extreme home makeover shows. This project was NOT a restore back to factory original. It's a bling my boat contest and naturally that will include current updates, graphics, etc.

I agree sad that it did not go back to original but, if it was your boat that got redone for free, I'm sure you would love the hell out of it. And of course, it puts the rebuilder, shipwreck, on the map with lots of marketing/advertising.

The owner of this Tropez is not a Donzi fanatic. They just love this Donzi as it's been in their family for so long.

Now were any of you critics paying attention and know why there is new shiny copper penny in the middle of the steering wheel. If not, go back and read the history. It's a cool story.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=436186#post436186

yeller
01-25-2008, 11:33 AM
I like it all. Think it looks great. It's worth more now than it was before it was done, and worth more now than if it was done to stock. Just my opinion, but there's a very, very small market for old, original fiberglass boats.

Gearhead99
01-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Too much bling. It's a "classic", not to be a chromed out toy.

Sorry, just my opinion. Just killed the look.

Scott Pearson
01-25-2008, 03:56 PM
One more Donzi Ruined.....Now it will cost twice as much to fix it and do it right. Should have used a Searay!

Ohhhh....they forgot the curb feelers!!!! That will finish it off perfect!

:hangum:

Scott Pearson
01-25-2008, 03:59 PM
I wonder what happened to the original windsheild...Shame if it was thrown out. Big Bucks lost....Non replacable....shame.

gold-n-rod
01-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Looks like they took an old hull and sent it through a time machine up to the ZX times.

Kind of the opposite of that new 'Vette that looks like a 57-59 model.

Truthfully, I like the forward progess of this Donzi more than I like the backward progess of that 'Vette.

I'd be happy with the outcome if I was the owner.

chappy
01-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Personally, if I had my way, I would prefer it to be all original. HOWEVER,
I'd rather see it in it's present condition opposed to sitting, fading and uncovered on a chitty trailer.:beer:

Carl C
01-25-2008, 08:31 PM
I like it. I don't see anything wrong with customizing and updating these boats. I don't like every thing they did, like the swim platform, but it looks pretty cool to me. I also like the new windshield better. Sorry Scott, I see your point as a purist but there are two ways to go here and I don't think the boat is worth any less then if restored to factory condition.:cool:

joel3078
01-25-2008, 11:03 PM
More pics for the archive. Boat is tucked in a dark corner and hard to photograph. All kinds of junk towards the front of the boat now so sorry, no shot from that angle. LOTS of people by this booth so if nothing else, it will help spread the Donzi name some more. ONLY thing at the Minnapolis boat show that is offshore performance stuff is Advantage and Baja brands. Guess the ocean is too far away!

The main guy at Shipwreck I talked to said Donzi themselves donated yes donated the steering wheel, front seats, and the silver logo on back sides. They (Donzi) saw pics of the finished boat and thought it turned out wonderful.

The tribal graphic stripes are vinyl tape and easy to remove. They did that on purpose in case the owner didn't like them.

waxman
01-26-2008, 09:20 AM
All it needs now is a set of 20's on the trailer.....

Oh, and a can of gas and match

The Hedgehog
01-26-2008, 10:25 AM
All it needs now is a set of 20's on the trailer.....

Oh, and a can of gas and match

It has the 20's. They are on the trailer!

Man, they spend some bucks on the bends on the exhaust and then used cheap battery boxes.

I do like some of the interior touches.

tmdog
01-26-2008, 03:00 PM
I read the story behind the Bling and thought it wonderful for the family.
I think the mods were good and look great to my eyes. I wish my 18 could of been BLINGED. I say, "to each their own":kingme:

catch 22
01-26-2008, 03:09 PM
This is Gina Catch 22's wife. I think they did a great job. Joel3078 thanks for posting the story behind this boat. I'm sure the Uran family will enjoy this boat for many years to come. I understand the feelings most of you guys on this site have about taking a boat this rare and having something like this done to it. But I believe it's just what this family needed. Let them enjoy the memories of there father and husband with the way it was and hopefully they will be able to enjoy and make new memories with it now. Congrats to the Uran family.

Ed Donnelly
01-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Gina; Very nicely said..............Ed

chappy
01-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Agreed.

Kevin Westfall
01-26-2008, 10:17 PM
As the owner of the 1974 Donzi Hornet and the winner of the "Bling My Boat Contest". I agree and wish the steering was still on the left and original paint job was primarily red. However, this boat needed a complete overhaul-something I could not afford. There are original parts which remain on the boat (such as the anchor light, the Donzi emblem, the engine latches, etc) and those which were removed are intact and will be returned to me. The decals are removeable as Shipwreck (the company who did the makeover) wanted in case I did not like them.
To those who can not see beyond a "restoration of an antique" I wish you would read the story. There is no greater honor than to be remebered. My husband loved a Donzi due to it's sleek lines and speed. Which ALL remain. Thank you to those who appreciate the efforts and thoughfulness which went into this project.
CINDY URAN posted on Kevin Westfall's post

superhatz
01-26-2008, 10:30 PM
I admit...I didn't read the back story until now.

Cindy, I'm sorry to hear about your husband. My heart goes out to you and your family. I certainly meant no ill will. I'm glad to hear you're happy with the boat, that's what's most important.

Best wishes......:)

Kevin Westfall
01-26-2008, 10:41 PM
thank you-I want you to know; my husband would be proud and yet humbled-he loved classic but he loved us more! He would be thrilled that his family could enjoy something he loved so much! He was not about advertising; he was laid back and never needed to prove a statement. Also the Donzi reps have seen the boat and give their "seal of approval". What a gift to a family that has lost so much!

joel3078
01-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Cindy - I didn't get a chance to look at the year on the penny in the middle of the steering wheel. What year did it end up being - 1974?

I can't see detail close up anymore without the readers. :eek:

Kevin Westfall
01-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Joel-thank you for your private message. The penny is a 2003-the year my husband, John died. Good luck to you-find us on the lake! Cindy Uran

superhatz
01-27-2008, 01:36 AM
I deleted my disrespectful posts. Please forgive me, my mother didn't raise me that way and I sincerely apologize.

Tony
01-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Cindy, great job clearing things up, and for your thoughtful replies. God bless John, as I am sure he is in Donzi heaven. Your brief description of him rings true with a lot of folks on this site...solid family people who happen to love Donzis!

Like people, our boats come in a wide variety. I'll chime in and say that I love yours, it looks awesome. The best part, obviously, is that it will certainly be a source of pride and remembrance for years (and generations!) to come.

Haul that beauty to an event...we'd love to meet you!

:beer:

BigGrizzly
01-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I personally like original restos, I will have to update my Criterion dash, hopefully I don't do too bad. I will keep all the original stuff and and not do any irreversible damage. In all fairness that year Hornet is a difficult piece to bling without going away from the resto effect. I am not going to state what I like and don't like, because it is purely subjective, new vs. old. Some new boats I like others I don't and would never own!
Cindy, I can under stand your husband's feelings and love for the boat. We still have the first Donzi we bough in 1966. It is a feeling that will never be replaced, king if like a era. I raced motorcycles for many years. when I try to describe what it is like pitching it sideways at over 100 MPH on a mile dirt oval it becomes fruitless unless your audience has done it too. I am sure your husband would have loved it too. It is still his boat. It is kind of like your daughter with a new dress and different make up, she is still the same person, just a different look. Take it out on his favorite lake to his favorite spot, stop and remember when. End of story.

Cuda
01-27-2008, 10:38 AM
As far as I'm concerned, if it pleases the owner, it's nobody else's business.

The Hedgehog
01-27-2008, 11:48 AM
As far as I'm concerned, if it pleases the owner, it's nobody else's business.

I think that is well said Cuda. I went through that process when I did a resto mod of my X-18. I came to the conclusion that I did it to please me. I am sure that some would cringe at some of the updates I did to one of the 176 X-18's ever made. In the end they make me happy and that is what counts. I love my turn key reliability of the new Merc 383 package, the look of my updated interior and the cool new guages.

Like I heard an old Hot rodder say, "Any one can do a restoration, it takes guts and originality to build a hot rod."

waxman
01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I do apologize if anyone was offended by my post. It is truly the owners decision on how to restyle his/her toy.
I can see a lot of effort was made.

VetteLT193
01-30-2008, 02:54 PM
I like it.

Reminds me of the '67 mustang in my garage. All original and I can't drive the dang thing because I don't feel safe... a new Honda Civic has better handling, braking, acceleration than it does.

So, when it comes to anything old and updates, I'm always for a resto that means it can be used like a new vehicle that compares. I'd rather see an updated boat/car whatever being used than 'preserved' and sitting.

I'm very happy to see this classic back on the water, in turn key condition, ready to take on any new boat out there:wink:

Kevin Westfall
01-30-2008, 06:43 PM
I would like to clear up a few questions about this boat. I entered this boat into the contest for a few reasons: It was John's dream to restore this Donzi be it to stock or the way it is now is not the issue, it is restored. This boat needed a lot of work; the wiring was bad, the motor needed attention, and the outdrive was on it's last leg. When the opportunity arose to enter this contest, I thought it was a perfect chance to give back to the family. Cindy had no choice in what was going to be done to the boat because it was a contest. In my opinion, Shipwreck Boatworks did an outstanding job and the craftsmanship is top knotch! Scott and Ryan are very talented people. I would like to thank everyone involved in this project-we are most pleased!

Cuda
01-30-2008, 08:12 PM
I would like to clear up a few questions about this boat. I entered this boat into the contest for a few reasons: It was John's dream to restore this Donzi be it to stock or the way it is now is not the issue, it is restored. This boat needed a lot of work; the wiring was bad, the motor needed attention, and the outdrive was on it's last leg. When the opportunity arose to enter this contest, I thought it was a perfect chance to give back to the family. Cindy had no choice in what was going to be done to the boat because it was a contest. In my opinion, Shipwreck Boatworks did an outstanding job and the craftsmanship is top knotch! Scott and Ryan are very talented people. I would like to thank everyone involved in this project-we are most pleased!
I know I sure wouldn't gripe about it being parked in my driveway. Just have fun with it. Nobody else has one like it.

joel3078
01-30-2008, 09:12 PM
I consider myself lucky as heck to have seen this boat at the show in the contest especially considering how rare it is. If mine doesn't sell, you will see me on Tonka a lot more this summer. I'm in the red/white 24' black widow with the sheriff boat behind me going there's that damn Donzi again! :doh: They pulled me over two years ago and while they were next to me I turned on the bilge pump and peed on their boat for a few seconds. :angel: Anyway, your Tropez will be easy to find. Have fun with it! I'll be sure to cruise by if I see ya.