PDA

View Full Version : Got our house plans...

Donziweasel
01-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Got the preliminary plans for the Lazy P Ranch. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Don't have the shop or guest cabin plans yet, but they are coming soon.

BUIZILLA
01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
if it was ME...

I would move the fireplace out of the two bedroom encroachments and square off those rooms...

other than that, looks great...

VetteLT193
01-24-2008, 09:47 AM
I have to agree with buiz. Although... in the dead space the fireplace creates in the bedrooms, between it and the door, I'd probably build in some shelving / mini entertainment center in the master. In the upstairs room I'd put in a closet in that space.

mjw930
01-24-2008, 09:48 AM
That looks very good. I love great room designs, the traditional formal living room stuff is just a waste of space in this day and age.

Have you given any thought to how you are going to furnish the great room? If you are into TV or movies I'm sure you'll want a state of the art entertainment center and that layout looks like it could be an acoustic and logistics nightmare.

You'll need an area to mount the display that is not much higher than eye level. Too many people mount the screen above the fireplace only to find that looking up all the time is very tiring. I would get some scale mockups of your furniture and lay it out, you may find that what looks big and open becomes a maze when you furnish it.

I'm only speaking from experience, we just finished building a place last year and had to go through the same issues. You should have seen the look on some of the builder's faces when I submitted modification requests based on line of site to the HDTV and wall positions to allow for modular furniture.

Also, make sure to add 1 or 2 floor mounted power fixtures so you don't have cords running everywhere. Figure out where the furniture goes and place the floor plugs under them.

Below is what we built. Main house with 2 car garage and a separate 2+ car garage for the toys. I thought ahead and added a parking pad to the side of the back garage, the 22 fits perfectly ;)

glashole
01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Basement?

looks good
I like the design

what are you using for windows?

Donziweasel
01-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the input. We are still finalizing, but getting closer. As for the fireplace, we felt it would be romantic to have a fireplace in both the master bedroom and living room. Kinda something I always wanted.

No basement, but we do have the 913 sq ft above the garage. Not sure what we will do with it. Maybe a home theater. Probably will become a kids room eventually.

We will have a crawl space under the house. Going with in floor hydrponic heating. If you have ever experienced -30, you would want this.

Not sure about the manufacturer of the windows, but as you can tell by the design, there will be plenty of glass to look at the 10,000ft mountains behind the house.

The guest cabin will be about 900 sq ft, shop around 2400. All will be half log, or log siding. Walls will be insulated. The house will look log with a swedish cope corner.

Anyone want to come visit? You can ride horses for 100's of miles right out the back of the house. Lake is 30 minutes away.

Tony
01-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Man...you guys have got more money than I do!

Hopefully, with the housing market slump, you're getting a good deal from your builder.

The plans look great, good luck sweating the details. We often hear horror stories regarding that topic!

:beer:

BlownCrewCab
01-24-2008, 11:57 AM
I Think the fireplace is good incase you lose power you still have a heated bedroom and great room. the heated floors are the bomb, I was in South Africa last year and stayed at a place with heated floors, It was awesome to get out of bed and put on clothes that are warm from being on the floor, walking on the heated floor was nice too. (and yes it gets cold in south africa)

glashole
01-24-2008, 12:51 PM
radiant floor heating (thats what we call it in Canada) works awesome :smash:
I haven't heard 1 person who regrets getting it
if you can swing it in the shop go for it :nilly:

the area above the garage is where the pool table is suppose to go

if you have any questions with regards to windows or doors etc drop me a PM
I have no problem answering questions or clarifying what you may be told :)

Donziweasel
01-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Tony,
Not that much money. We bought our house is 2001 and sold it for more than twice what it was worth Jan 11. Currently we are renting, and will be until the project is done. Kinda wierd not owning a house right now.

Glashole, will definetly take you up on the offer about the windows. One change is the front of the house. We are putting triangular windows above the entrance, it is just a wall right now.

I wouldn't mind being in South Africa right now, it is -27 in Jackson this morning. One thing I will not budge on is the hydroponic heating. I have been in houses with it before and not only does it feel great on the bare feet, it is actually a very efficient way to heat. Heat, as we all know, rises and having it cokme throught the floors is very efficient. I know I will pay more for it up front, but it will save me money in heating costs in the long run.

Never thought about power going out and no heat, but the fireplace would remedy that. The upstairs bedroom in the loft will not have a fireplace, although it will run through the wall and help heat it when lit.

Anymore input is always appreciated as I have never built a house before.

glashole
01-24-2008, 01:29 PM
auxilary generator

doesn't have to be big
just big enough to run the hot water tank and the pump to keep the house warm :)

also the sum pump, refrig, and freezer

other than that good to go

cook off the BBQ

smoothie
01-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Would hate to see log siding on a house like that...You live in timberland USA...go full 12" logs hand hewned :yes:the inside of the house would be wonderful.

boxy
01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
It looks good, is the green line to the left of the kitchen a "breakfast bar"?
Is there enough room to make the front of the island a raised area, that would do 2 things, 1) it will give your friends some where to hang out and drink while you prepare elk steaks, and 2) it will serve as a buffer to hide your kitchen mess from the guests when they sit at the table.

The split vanity in the master is a great feature.

I'm not sure about the door beside the fireplace, unless there is going to be a deck, with hot tub, that you will access from the great room and the bed room. Your two focal points in the great are going to be the fireplace, and the wall of windows. What do you see being placed along the windows between 2 doors?

I'm in a lot of waterfront properties, which are built with the same focus, backyard view, and it looks like you are on the right track.

glashole
01-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Boxy

have you ever thought of getting into real estate??:)

mjw930
01-24-2008, 01:56 PM
You might want to consider Propane for heat, hot water and cooking. We did a 250 gallon in-ground tank for that plus the BBQ and a 16KW standby generator. We're 2 miles from the Ocean so hurricanes and loss of power are a given. The same could be applied to Wyoming in the winter I'm sure. In your case I would opt for a 500 gallon tank. You may not want to use it for heat, that would take some calculations to see whether it's cheaper than electric.

FYI, we use about 10 gallons a month for cooking, hot water, cloths drier and the BBQ. The generator burns 2.5 gallons / hr at full song but less than 1 gallon / hour under the load we give it.

boxy
01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Boxy

have you ever thought of getting into real estate??:)

Every now and then I think real hard about getting out of it ..... :D :D
but stuff like this makes it fun.

osur866
01-24-2008, 04:26 PM
one suggestion 3 car garage, even with a shop and all you cant have enough space espically since theres no basement, 2 vechicals and later kids toys and such think 3 car! Steve

wannabe
01-24-2008, 04:44 PM
ditto on the three car garage

boxy
01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
If you look at the plans, and if the cars are to scale, I'd be willing to guess the dimensions of the current garage is closer in size to a traditional suburban 3 car garage. (30x22 I'm thinking) They have planned a huge mudroom, which will really help the transition from garage to house.
Also remember there is a 2400 sq ft shop in the works, if it's square, that's 50x50, lots of room for toys..... :D

Donziweasel
01-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Right on Steve. The garage has some xtra space. I told them it had to fit an F-350 Crew Cab comfortably. Don't want it squished in there. The shop will be 60x40, with three bay doors. Also, small office in there. Upstairs will be a small storage area. Not sure the actual dimensions on the garage, but it is 916 sq ft.

The half log will look like a full log cabin. They simply cut the logs length wise and mount them. The inside will be dry wall with log accents. The rafters will be log. The reason is fairly simple. I know many people who have full log as this is a very popular western design. After 3-4 years, the logs settle. No matter how well you seal the house, drafts always seem to develop. By going half log, it will look log, but have the added benefit of framed walls with thick insulation. This is becoming as popular as full log. Another benefit, is light. No matter how light in color your logs are, the typical log house, especially at night, can be kinda dim. By having some drywall in a light color, it will help with the mood of the house. I currently live in a full log house and can tell you it is drafty and kinda dark. It will still have plenty of log inside.

The green line inside is a breakfast bar. I wanted to continue it and have it meet with the stove, but Boo Boo nixed it. She is really in charge of the main house. Although we both came up with the design, she is handling the details. My job is more of find/work with a contractor, design my shop (which will be my haven), and the guest house. Both guest house and shop will be log and match the house. I have preliminary drawings on both, just not on the computer yet.

Steve, the back of the house has a deck that runs from the outside corner of the master bedroom to the garage (see main floor exterior pic). Hotub will be behind mud room. We really don't want anything in front of the windows. I can not tell you how amazing the view is behind the house(many 10,000 ft mountains). In the main room, the entertainment and tv will be mounted beside the fireplace. We will have an L shaped seating area that will open to the windows. Wife said we have to have double vanities, something about razor shavings in her sink!!:smash:

Glad you guys like it so far. Boo Boo had a list of things to change, much of it with the garage. Hopefully will have the final plans tommorrow. Damn, though I would get more replies on the 351W pics on the Bronco update than the house plans, but really glad you guys are interested in the Lazy P Ranch. Hmmm......maybe some of you are planning a visit. You can drive the Bronco when you get here!:wink::eek!::smash:

osur866
01-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Cant have enough storage space, from my experience I'm single have an oversized 3 car garage and still have a car parked outside heaven forbid I move some gal in with kids and all their stuff :shocking: granted I don't have a shop but its amazing how much stuff that ends up in the garage. Looks very nice and I bet the view out the back has to be incrediable, I've got a friend that lives in Woodland Park, CO. and has a great view of pikes peak out the back of his house, thats why you live out there with the temps. below zero. Steve

smoothie
01-25-2008, 11:58 AM
I know what ya mean by the logs settling... built my log home 10 years ago,and it did settle after 3 years even with timber that was air dried for 2 years but not much,I used permachink between the logs and it flexed with em,did have to touch up a few places but the house is nice and warm, went with electric Geothermal heating and cooling my monthly budget is $145.00.They say wood is your best insulator and I believe em.Your house will be nice any way you slice it:yes: Have fun I know I did.

http://www.permachink.com/index.htm