PDA

View Full Version : Michigan guys, where were you 30 yrs ago today?

gold-n-rod
01-21-2008, 07:31 PM
I was living in Mt. Pleasant and student teaching in Midland. The big storm cause both the schools and the university to close for the first time in modern memory.
Living in a college town was awesome. The whole town was shut down, so we set out with sleds to get provisions.... :beer::beer::beer:
and a little :popcorn: and :pretzel: and :pizza:
We stayed :drunk: for 3 days until we had to :puke:
Finally, town opened again and we went back to our usual routine.:smash:

You???

realbold
01-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Dont remember anything about the storm, but then I dont remember much from the 70's :party: ....was living in East Detroit at the time, now called Eastpointe

Tony
01-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Living on Genesee St. in Lansing, working for the Lansing School District's Community Ed program, trying to pass one last class for my Parks & Recreation degree, playing foosball, and drinking lots of beer at Art's Bar. We also spent lunch hour playing pick-up basketball at the Kingsley Community Center, where once in a while Earvin (Magic) Johnson showed up!

Sorry, don't remember that storm. The worst one I remember was one spring break ('77 maybe?) when we just barely made it out of Michigan driving to Florida in my Dodge Dart...by the following morning all the highways were shut down.

:beer:

Carl C
01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I was living in my first house in Pontiac. Didn't even have my first boat yet. I was reading about that storm in the paper but I don't remember it. I even got out the photo album but don't have any pics either. I take a lot more pics now that I've gone digital and print my own. How about you guys?:alligator

zelatore
01-22-2008, 04:27 PM
The worst one I remember was one spring break ('77 maybe?) when we just barely made it out of Michigan driving to Florida in my Dodge Dart...by the following morning all the highways were shut down.
:beer:

Hmmmm.... '77? I think I remember that one from when I was living near Evansville, IN. Somewhere about then we got nailed pretty good. About 2-3 foot in the back yard. Seems like that was in February though.

Donzi Jenn
01-23-2008, 09:35 AM
I was 2 months old, so I was probably in my crib. :wink::rlol:

zelatore
01-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Well, I don't know about all that, but I know Indiana got hammered pretty good in Feb. '71 'cause my parents couldn't get home from the hospital after having me. Eventually my father recruited a local farmer to clear the rural roads for the last 5 miles or so to the house.

Working on the assumption that anything Indiana got, Michigan got worse, it must have been really fun up in the mitten state.

gold-n-rod
01-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Got my dates off a tad. The big blizzard began 1/25/78.

Our local paper's been running rememberances this weekend. What a hoot!