PDA

View Full Version : Branching out again

Cuda
01-18-2008, 12:20 AM
I had a GC call me from PA, who I've never worked for before, and ask me if I could do carpet tile. I said I never had, but I was sure I could. He must have had my name from bidding on ceramic tile jobs. It was supposed to get sealed concrete, but the concrete was too soft to shine it up, so they needed someone in a hurry, so one super asked another if he knew any flooring guys in Florida, and they we in a bind, and called me.

This store is called a "Deals", it's owned by the same company as Dollar Tree, as a matter of fact, they changed it to a Deals just yesterday. No difference for what we're doing. We got about 1800 sf down yesterday, but today, we had the system down. There is 8100 square feet of it, and we have the majority down already. It should go quickly tomorrow. We have 120 sf of VCT to put down also, but one of my guys says he can do that in a half an hour. We had a great system going by the end of today, we got down three times as much as yesterday, in the same time. The super said they are going to give us another one in Jax starting the fourth of Feb, because they like our work.:cool:

Lenny
01-18-2008, 12:46 AM
So, now that you are busy, are you still going to consider a small job in Washington and a short boat ride up to me for a blast in the 18 ???

:D :D :D

Cuda
01-18-2008, 07:17 AM
So, now that you are busy, are you still going to consider a small job in Washington and a short boat ride up to me for a blast in the 18 ???
:D :D :D
Believe me, I'm still not busy at all. That's why I'm doing other things besides tile. Robbing trains doesn't pay like it used to.:eek!:

Cuda
01-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Cool, good to see ya busy Joe!
I'm looking at some of the wood grained plank tile for my office.. Neat stuff, looks great. You know anything about it??
Is it actually ceramic tile that looks like wood? We used to put some in, that was called "Fagu". I don't know if they still make it, or not.

gold-n-rod
01-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Too bad they didn't let you choose the color. That popeye sh!t-green color looks like it came out of a 70's funeral home! :doh:

Barry Eller
01-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Too bad they didn't let you choose the color. That popeye sh!t-green color looks like it came out of a 70's funeral home! :doh:

Green is the color of MONEY!:biggrin:

WA-LO
01-18-2008, 09:14 AM
My neighbor is installing it as we speak let me tell you it is
not easy and they have had to tear alot out it is 4" X 2-3' long
the problem Im seeing with it is when light hits it you can see the ends have high spots so if you take on a job with this
material make sure the customer is not to picky!!! You need
a ultra level surface to start or you will shoot yourself!!!:shocking:

Jraysray
01-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I had a GC call me from PA, who I've never worked for before, and ask me if I could do carpet tile. I said I never had, but I was sure I could. He must have had my name from bidding on ceramic tile jobs. It was supposed to get sealed concrete, but the concrete was too soft to shine it up, so they needed someone in a hurry, so one super asked another if he knew any flooring guys in Florida, and they we in a bind, and called me.

This store is called a "Deals", it's owned by the same company as Dollar Tree, as a matter of fact, they changed it to a Deals just yesterday. No difference for what we're doing. We got about 1800 sf down yesterday, but today, we had the system down. There is 8100 square feet of it, and we have the majority down already. It should go quickly tomorrow. We have 120 sf of VCT to put down also, but one of my guys says he can do that in a half an hour. We had a great system going by the end of today, we got down three times as much as yesterday, in the same time. The super said they are going to give us another one in Jax starting the fourth of Feb, because they like our work.:cool:

How do you do that for many years? My knees and back would kill me after about 2 hours!

WA-LO
01-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I know after looking at the tile guys face while chisleing that
floor up, I think I would go with a high quality wood floor there some real nice bamboo ect. out there.:smash:

BUIZILLA
01-18-2008, 01:43 PM
we ripped up carpet in our living room and did the wood and i'd do it again in a new york second.... our installers did an excellent job, it's all he has done all his life...

Cuda
01-18-2008, 09:27 PM
As I always say, it looks good to me. You can't see it from my house.

Cuda
01-18-2008, 09:32 PM
How do you do that for many years? My knees and back would kill me after about 2 hours!
You don't see me on my knees in any of those pictures. The most I did, was open the boxes, turn all the tiles the same side up, and kept the other three guys on their knees.
I refinished a tub last week, and when we went back later on the last day, just to tear out the visquine and tape, I must have knelt on something, and bruised my left knee. It's still hurting, and that was last Sunday. :(
For the past ten or twelve years, I've stayed busy enough where I could keep enough people busy, where all I did was ride from job to job, trouble shooting. That all ended in 2007. I spent a lot more time on my knees this year, than I have in a long, long time. Now I'm lucky to keep just me and another guy busy enough to live. In '05, I had twelve guys on payroll. :(

Cuda
01-18-2008, 09:40 PM
New construction, poured first AND second story slabs, structural concrete finished by serious pro's.. Nice slab.. Then they used a very thick layer of grout with no gaps to level the floor.. About a month to do the whole house :eek: :eek:
A decent concrete finisher is a damn rarity nowdays. Most slabs look like frozen oceans. Try running 20x20's over that crap.:mad:

I hope they used either level quick, or thin set to level the floor, if they used grout, they won't have any problem at all replacing any tiles that aren't level.:wink::eek!:

Cuda
01-18-2008, 09:44 PM
we ripped up carpet in our living room and did the wood and i'd do it again in a new york second.... our installers did an excellent job, it's all he has done all his life...
I just recently ripped out carpet in my dining room, and office, and replace it with the snap together wood. It looks good, and chairs move a whole lot easier over it, but I hate the feel of dusty feet, so I brought home a couple pieces of that carpet tile, just to lay under my desk. I also brought home a few pieces of that black walk-off carpet tile, to lay by my front, and back doors. I'm not sticking any of them down.

Cuda
01-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Finished the carpet tile today, did the VCT, and installed the base. I'm happy, and the super was happpy, which is what really counts.

Cuda
01-18-2008, 10:27 PM
I just called it grout for lack of a better term..
I figured that, I was just ribbing ya. :)
I should have taken some pictures of the main floor at the Lowes I did some punch for their final walk through. He picked at some grout that was on the brown base tile. The only reason it was there at all, is because when the grout is wet, it is the EXACT same color as the veins in the brown grout. When I ran a sponge over it today, the only way I could tell if it was grout, or the veins, was by feeling it. Grout is rougher. It was bs, but since the job we are on, is less than a mile from that Lowes, I spend an hour there today, putting the shine to it. I have never seen such a shiny, level bare concrete floor before. It was really exceptional.
Here's a picture I took there today.