PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic Prop survey

mjw930
01-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I searched the archives and although there is a lot of info spattered about it's hard to piece together.

Here's what I have and I would like some suggestions so I can hunt down some props to test.

1987 22 Classic w/1996 7.4LX Bravo 1.50 turning a Mercury Clever 21P (classic prop, I"m keeping it if for nothing other than nostalgia)

With this setup on the sea trial the boat ran 59 on GPS @ 5000 RPM without me spending a lot of time playing with trim, in fact it was trimmed pretty conservative. "Cruising" at ~4000 RPM we were running a solid 44MPH on GPS. Obviously it's a bit under propped as I"m sure I was on the rev limiter @ WOT.

From what I've read and considering it's a low X boat a 4 blade probably isn't really the ticket with the Hydromotive Q4 being the possible exception.

Here's what I'm thinking of trying

23P Mirage
23P Mirage Plus (might be too much)
22P Hydro Q4
22P Turbo Vector
23P Turbo Vector

Does anyone have a basic 7.4L Bravo 22 that can share what's worked for them?

Thanks for tolerating all my questions.

Mark

Donzi Racer
01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
I searched the archives and although there is a lot of info spattered about it's hard to piece together.

Here's what I have and I would like some suggestions so I can hunt down some props to test.

1987 22 Classic w/1996 7.4LX Bravo 1.50 turning a Mercury Clever 21P (classic prop, I"m keeping it if for nothing other than nostalgia)

With this setup on the sea trial the boat ran 59 on GPS @ 5000 RPM without me spending a lot of time playing with trim, in fact it was trimmed pretty conservative. "Cruising" at ~4000 RPM we were running a solid 44MPH on GPS. Obviously it's a bit under propped as I"m sure I was on the rev limiter @ WOT.

From what I've read and considering it's a low X boat a 4 blade probably isn't really the ticket with the Hydromotive Q4 being the possible exception.

23P Mirage
22P Hydro Q4
22P Turbo Vector
23P Turbo Vector

Mark

Check with Big Grizz, he has tried so many of his props on a lot of different stuff, he could tell you what to expect. There were like 14 22's at the Homecoming in Sarasota so I am sure there should be some help there. Also we have a couple of the props you suggested if you ever want to bring it over to titusville, our mechanics own a prop shop. They have plenty to try. I am planning on going to the river on sunday to try ours down here. Seems like you should at least get 65 to 68 with the right prop and trim setting. Good luck, Tom

BUIZILLA
01-17-2008, 09:34 PM
22 Turbo..

mjw930
01-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Check with Big Grizz, he has tried so many of his props on a lot of different stuff, he could tell you what to expect. There were like 14 22's at the Homecoming in Sarasota so I am sure there should be some help there. Also we have a couple of the props you suggested if you ever want to bring it over to titusville, our mechanics own a prop shop. They have plenty to try. I am planning on going to the river on sunday to try ours down here. Seems like you should at least get 65 to 68 with the right prop and trim setting. Good luck, Tom

I'll probably take you up on that, too bad I probably won't have the boat back from the trailer builder until early next week.

Take a jacket Sunday, it's supposed to get chilly.

Anyone seen much difference between the Turbo 1 and the Turbo Vector?

blackhawk
01-18-2008, 06:13 AM

23P Mirage
22P Hydro Q4
22P Turbo Vector
23P Turbo Vector

Mark

You may want to try a Merc Revolution 4. Smaller diameter than the Bravo with more rake. Gives great bow lift for a 4-blade and a very fast prop.

mjw930
01-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Blade shape and rake

I already knew that :smash:

I meant any differences on the boat :boat:

justleft
01-18-2008, 08:42 AM
21p Turbo I

23p is a little to big for everyday use.

RedDog
01-18-2008, 09:08 AM

Here's what I'm thinking of trying...

22P Hydro Q4

The Hydro Quad IV or the Hydro "Quad IV OT"?

mjw930
01-18-2008, 11:34 AM
LOL, Oh you want details?? :D :D

IMO takes more HP to drive.. Nice prop, carries bow well, less stern lift then the Turbo...

When you getting it wet??

Hopefully next week. The trailer isn't complete yet, they expect it to be done Monday or Tuesday so maybe the weekend after that. The weather isn't cooperating this weekend anyway so no harm, no foul.

BTW. love the avatar

BUIZILLA
01-18-2008, 11:48 AM
who built the trailer??

MOP
01-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Hate to Hi Jack a thread but I am grooving on the "Fuzzy Ones" new hair do and southern tan:yes:

BUIZILLA
01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
that's because he just took up golfing...

mjw930
01-18-2008, 07:01 PM
who built the trailer??

AmeraTrail in St. Cloud, http://www.ameratrail.com/

I'm getting it through a dealer but working directly with Scott, the owner of AmeraTrail to spec it out.

It's a custom based off their 24' Aluminum I beam model. I'll post up details and pictures once I get it next week.