PDA

View Full Version : Dash design for '87 22 Classic

mjw930
01-15-2008, 10:06 PM
While my "new to me" 22 is down getting it's trailer made I've been trying to figure out how to clean up the only sore spot on the boat, it's dash.

Below is a picture of the existing dash (everything works, believe it or not) and a design I came up with this evening. (please ignore the compass base, it started to rain in the middle of replacing it.....)

My design covers the ~23.5" x 7.5" hole behind this dash plate. Rather than use the glove box for a radio I made space for it on the main dash. I plan on replacing that black eyesore glove box with a generic white, covered storage box I can get from a local marine surplus store.

Comments, suggestions, did I forget anything?????

gcarter
01-16-2008, 06:12 AM
I don't find anything wrong w/extending the new dash out into all that white space, including the glove box, and all the way across including past the steering.
That's what I've been thinking about.
It gives you some more space in case you think of some more gauges you might want.

mjw930
01-16-2008, 06:56 AM
I thought about that and it's still on the drawing board.

I'm going to price this with a couple vendors I've found, Nisonger and Team Marine in WI. Any other outfits I should contact?

RedDog
01-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Adding an oil temp gauge would be nice while you're at it

Dr. Dan
01-16-2008, 07:28 AM
:smash:Nisonger Marine did mine and several others on the Registry..... they have all of the original templates and can also do Custom.

Tell Woody Dr. Dan referred you from the Donzi Registry...

Doc

mjw930
01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
:smash:Nisonger Marine did mine and several others on the Registry..... they have all of the original templates and can also do Custom.

Tell Woody Dr. Dan referred you from the Donzi Registry...

Doc

I'll tell him you sent me but in talking to him he didn't seem to have a "template" for this dash...... So much for having "all" the templates. He said we could just take the one he has on his site and make it bigger to cover the hole. Doesn't sound like a template to me.

BUIZILLA
01-16-2008, 10:49 AM
your on your own for a template for an '87....

each of the VDO's are pods, mounted on a base, screwed to the dash itself...

Trueser
01-16-2008, 11:08 AM
I would look at my old post and fill in the dash like I did.

gcarter
01-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Here's another thread about the subject....
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51173&highlight=dash

Lenny
01-16-2008, 03:50 PM
What about a port to starboard BLACK carbon fiber panel ???, say, 1/2" in from the existing edges...

mjw930
01-16-2008, 04:26 PM
What about a port to starboard BLACK carbon fiber panel ???, say, 1/2" in from the existing edges...

Aside from the fact that I'm running out of $$$$, nothing :wink:

I really need to keep this project in the $800 range including gauges and switches so a large panel is probably out of the question. I'm also considering Autometer marine gauges instead or Gaffrig or Livorsi to save a few $$$$.

BTW, I recall quite the falling out between Gaffrig and Livorsi (weren't they the same at one point?). What's the deal with them these days? They still look to be basically the same gauge.

Jamesbon
01-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Great idea. That should be a nice addition.

I'm planning on something similar. What I'm planning to do is buy a piece of 1/16" stainless plate, then take that and the template to a machinist to cut. Once cut have a local shop polish for you. Then install.

If you need a place to buy scrap metal, you can try Alro Metals here in St. Petersburg. They have everything a Donzi owner could possibly want in aluminum, brass, stainless and so on...

Dr. Dan
01-16-2008, 10:05 PM
I'll tell him you sent me but in talking to him he didn't seem to have a "template" for this dash...... So much for having "all" the templates. He said we could just take the one he has on his site and make it bigger to cover the hole. Doesn't sound like a template to me.

Well there you have it.... I will make sure I punch him straight in the kisser next time I see him for you... the nerve... hmmm.

Doc of Cantankorous Responsive Product Substitutions of ill Will and Malcontent :doh::worthy:

mjw930
01-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Well there you have it.... I will make sure I punch him straight in the kisser next time I see him for you... the nerve... hmmm.

Doc of Cantankorous Responsive Product Substitutions of ill Will and Malcontent :doh::worthy:

That's the problem with typing rather than having the conversation. My response was far more terse that I meant it to be.

Woody seems like a great guy and we haven't talked more then 5 or 10 minutes so I certainly wasn't trying to insinuate he couldn't or wouldn't help me. I was simply venting my frustration that I would have to "design" something and artistic layout ain't my forte :doh:

No punches needed :wink:

mjw930
03-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I finally got everything in I needed so I started to put it together.

The picture doesn't do it justice, it looks better in person.

Now on to the wiring :bonk:

Jamesbon
03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Wow! Very clean with a "new" look to it. Great work!

Carl C
03-09-2008, 05:44 PM
:thumbsup: I think the pic does it justice. It looks extremely awesome.:thumbsup: And you went with Livorsis!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mjw930
03-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks.

I went with the Platinum / Chrome to accent the black, gray and chrome colors of the boat. It should look great when I get it installed.

There's only a couple things I don't like but I'm just being anal but hey, including the radio there's over $1200 tied up in that dash!

1. The Tach is still not in the proper position, it's too far left by about 1/8"
2. The radio is not lined up with the second row of gauges as it was supposed to be.

I don't know if you followed my other thread but this is the second dash panel from Nosinger. The first had the word "Radio" spelled "Raido" and had the Tach higher than the speedo. They said they moved the tach to the proper position but all they really did was move it down. I didn't notice the radio cutout until I mounted everything.

I"m not going to send this one back, I don't feel like dealing with it for such minor errors. For their part, Nosinger turned around the second panel reasonably quick but I was expecting perfect based on the reviews here, They didn't get close.

Below is a comparison between what I sent and what I got.

Carl C
03-09-2008, 08:15 PM
I see that the tach is off only because you mentioned it. The radio is not where you wanted but still looks good and I like their alignment of the guages better. Don't point it out and no one will notice. Oh yeah, make sure you align the screw heads like they are in the drawing.

mjw930
03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
I see that the tach is off only because you mentioned it. The radio is not where you wanted but still looks good and I like their alignment of the guages better. Don't point it out and no one will notice. Oh yeah, make sure you align the screw heads like they are in the drawing.

I know it's minor and it's not a big deal. I guess my past life as a QC engineer makes me a bit anal.

RickR
03-10-2008, 08:30 AM
There might be room to move the tach (or speedo) to the correct alignment. Usually the holes are drilled slightly larger than the instruments.
If not, you might be able to whittle the bottom of the tach hole.
Dash looks great!

mjw930
03-10-2008, 12:30 PM
There might be room to move the tach (or speedo) to the correct alignment. Usually the holes are drilled slightly larger than the instruments.
If not, you might be able to whittle the bottom of the tach hole.
Dash looks great!

I would rather not break the powdercoat although I already had to do that to the radio hole (my bad, I specified a DIN opening only to find out that DIN spec and the actual size are different by about 1/4" in width and 1/16" in height. I painted the part I filed and since it was a straight portion it was easier to get "straight". Round holes are almost impossible to keep round with a hand file so I positioned them as far apart as they would go in the hole and I'm fine with the way it looks.

Don't get my comments wrong, I'm happy with the results just making people aware of some "gotcha's" if they decide to go this route with this vendor.

mjw930
03-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Well, I have the dash all pre-wired and ready to go into the boat so I figured I needed to crawl under and start taking an inventory of what goes where for the wiring I can't prewire like the blower, bilge pump, nav lights, etc.

If you have never looked at the wiring the factory did on these older boats then let me warn you, it ain't pretty. Almost every contact point uses piggyback push on connectors, nothing except the ignition switch has spade lugs. The panel and ground wiring is something like 22 gauge and many connections have 5 leads ganged up on them. The tach servers as the grounding bus bar...... Add to that the alarm system wiring that seems after the fact at best and what you end up with is a rats nest of wires that simply put, is about as bad as I've ever seen. Some wires are a mystery like the orange wire with an inline fuse that comes off the power bar behind the breakers. I trace it down and find it's the power source to the trim tab switch! Then there's the bilge pump auto switch, rather than use a double throw switch they simply wire it to the hot side.

Oh, and here's one for you, the lanyard completes a circuit that terminates a green wire to ground! I haven't quite figured out that one yet.

I'm simply amazed that almost everything still works on a 21 year old boat. I know it's anocdotal evidence but perhaps all the new "requirements" or best practices aren't all that much better than the old school way. I mean it looks ugly but the damn thing still works after 21 years.

Maybe, since I'm using all marine fittings, spade terminals, bus bars, 16 ga wire and epoxy heat shrink the dash wiring will be good for the next 30 years. Who knows?

gcarter
03-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Well, I have the dash all pre-wired and ready to go into the boat so I figured I needed to crawl under and start taking an inventory of what goes where for the wiring I can't prewire like the blower, bilge pump, nav lights, etc.

If you have never looked at the wiring the factory did on these older boats then let me warn you, it ain't pretty. Almost every contact point uses piggyback push on connectors, nothing except the ignition switch has spade lugs. The panel and ground wiring is something like 22 gauge and many connections have 5 leads ganged up on them. The tach servers as the grounding bus bar...... Add to that the alarm system wiring that seems after the fact at best and what you end up with is a rats nest of wires that simply put, is about as bad as I've ever seen. Some wires are a mystery like the orange wire with an inline fuse that comes off the power bar behind the breakers. I trace it down and find it's the power source to the trim tab switch! Then there's the bilge pump auto switch, rather than use a double throw switch they simply wire it to the hot side.

Oh, and here's one for you, the lanyard completes a circuit that terminates a green wire to ground! I haven't quite figured out that one yet.

I'm simply amazed that almost everything still works on a 21 year old boat. I know it's anocdotal evidence but perhaps all the new "requirements" or best practices aren't all that much better than the old school way. I mean it looks ugly but the damn thing still works after 21 years.

Maybe, since I'm using all marine fittings, spade terminals, bus bars, 16 ga wire and epoxy heat shrink the dash wiring will be good for the next 30 years. Who knows?
All too true.
I always reccomend that people re-wire their older boats.
Many of the practices were not good. Some of the components, like the circuit breakers were not even weather proof.

glashole
03-14-2008, 10:04 AM
I had similar issues with Nissonger.
I am happy with the product but not overwhelmed :(

Woody is a good guy to deal with and he did work with me on getting what I wanted with relation to design

There were however some things I wish they had done better but I too am a little fussy on certain things :smash:

that being said I would buy from them again but I would be very specific as to how perfect I would want it

Yours looks good

get used to not pointing out the flaws in it and no one will ever notice
except at a DONZI event- but those guys are mainly just looking for aligned screws and polished exhaust tips :bonk:

Shea

mjw930
03-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Ok, I got the dash in and wired, all that's left to do is mount and wire the speakers and it's all wrapped up.

The speakers can wait, I'm hoping to splash the boat tomorrow and get some hours on it :D

It was too dark for pictures when I got done so I'll get those posted soon.

mjw930
03-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Finally pictures of the completely installed dash. The dash, radio, speakers and depth sounder are all installed and working great.

In fact, the depth sounder works perfectly all the way up to top speed (~63 mph). I was quite surprised and pleased by that. I installed the puck just in front of the pad the bilge pump is mounted on and about 4" off the keel to port.

Also, the old VDO tach was 300 - 400 rpm high at the upper end. I noticed the Livorsi was reading lower at WOT with the same prop so I broke out a calibrated multimeter with an RPM feature and the Livorsi is spot on.