PDA

View Full Version : February 2008 Hot Boat - Donzis @ Lake George Fall

Dr. Dan
01-15-2008, 09:33 PM
:thewave: Well as I sorted through the days mail I came across the new Hot Boat issue for Febraury 2008, there is quite an extensive mention about our Crew invading the Poker Run last October for the Columbus Day Lake George Powerboat Clubs - Fall Fun Run. :smash:

Congrats to Scott Pearson for a professional interview and commentary, also I didn't realize she was a Fiance' so Congrats there too... MattyBoy and Kenny for the incredible Cigarette...

And well my Donzi made the right front margin of one of the Pics so that's cool too.

A very fun run... we did Donzi proud, maybe next fall we'll have some more Donzi's - Norm Dascher & Crew, Bob Haver, Don N., Pearson, Kenny and Matty and I did our best to keep pace with the 114 Boats.

Check out the article for yourself.

Doc of the Bay :thumbsup:

LKSD
01-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Cool, I will have to keep my eyes out for all of you.. It shouldnt be to difficult now that HB took the babe spreads out that were distractions from the boats.. lol.. :D

I guess some people were offended by the girls being in the magazine when Larry Flynt was publishing it according to last months arcticle that the new editor (Morgan, who is not to bad lookig herself) talked about.. Yes I actually read some of the arcticles.. :D Jamie

Carl C
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm looking forward to getting my issue and check that out. I like the redesign of the mag and it still has some babes, just not all of the sleazy saline enhanced models that Larry Flynt put in there. Maybe we'll see more east coast hot boats now.

LKSD
01-16-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm looking forward to getting my issue and check that out. I like the redesign of the mag and it still has some babes, just not all of the sleazy saline enhanced models that Larry Flynt put in there. Maybe we'll see more east coast hot boats now.

C'mon, they should have just added some more pages to add more boats in.. They didnt have to take those modeling jobs off of those girls.. :( Next they will blame the damn economy & places trying to cut back.. What is the world coming to?? lol.. :D Jamie

kjly63
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey Dan,

Almost got the boat in the mag............oh well. That was a great w/e...................you goin back this yr.

I finally got the carb straightened out and took it out for a test-ride this past Saturday. In 1 hr.....put on carb, test run, re-winterize.:propeller:

1st time boatin in NY in January. Had the ski cap and goggles on..................still not as funny as the PFD blowin up during the run:hangum:

hope to see ya at one of the LG events this yr.

Kenny

Dr. Dan
01-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey Dan,
Almost got the boat in the mag............oh well. That was a great w/e...................you goin back this yr.
I finally got the carb straightened out and took it out for a test-ride this past Saturday. In 1 hr.....put on carb, test run, re-winterize.:propeller:
1st time boatin in NY in January. Had the ski cap and goggles on..................still not as funny as the PFD blowin up during the run:hangum:
hope to see ya at one of the LG events this yr.
Kenny

:drive:Hey Kenny, I would love to have you join us in Lake Winnie this year... last Sat in July...that weekend. I will do the DustOff and if I am able to schedule wise... I will consider doing the Fall Run on Columbus Weekend.

I think I have been recruited again for the Rock the Bay Poker Run - which is the same weekend as the Donzi Fall Picnic @ LG, so I will have to see. I would love to have you consider that Run... I will talk to you about it offline. PM me your cell phone...we can talk.

I also am still going to Design you a Cooler...have no fear. I have about 8 New Corporate Logos that have to get finished first.

My Fall schedule might get crazy work wise so I can't completely commit yet. But I will do my best to put some serious hours on the Donzi.

I loved your May West look at Lake George... I had no idea your vest inflated until I could see you up close...it was hilarious....

Talk Soon

Doc :hijack:

Carl C
01-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Doc, I just got my copy and that is too cool!!!:cool: And Scott Pearson and Mattyboy all being in there! Congrats. Just one problem; They talk like these are antique boats when they still make them. Doc, here is a pic of you with Randy "ranman" on White Lake. There is no missing your teal 22 on page 57. You really are the Doc of coolness.:cool:

Patti
01-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Awesome!!! So glad to see Mattyboy and Scott there...I love Lake george..maybe one of these days we'll get back there :-)

Pismo
01-20-2008, 08:18 AM
I miss Larry Flynt already....

BigGrizzly
01-20-2008, 10:26 AM
I have a friend who writes for Trailer Boats mag. He wanted to come to Cumberland and or Lake George and write about the events, Their reply was they were not interested. Guess I won't buy that mag anymore. Too bad it is actually a good publication I use to think! Guess I'll buy Hot boat and look at the pictures.

BUIZILLA
01-20-2008, 10:57 AM
I miss Larry Flynt already....
Larry Flynt misses Larry Flynt... :doh:

Dr. Dan
01-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Larry Flynt misses Larry Flynt... :doh:

:smash:Yep ...I was not real impressed with the old Mag other than some of the tech write ups....now you can definitely see a different layout and mood... I believe they will bring the Girls back ..but not so in your face as the Flint publication.

I have to say that you can read the inexperience in Editorial Commentary in some of Morgans Columns, but it has a genuine sense of innnocence to it, that some how gives it a passing although sophomoric grade.

And I agree with Jamie...she is easy on the eyes ... so WTF?

I am open to give them the chance to see what it becomes... change is inevitable... just look at Powerboat today vs a fews back.

Either way...its always neat to see write ups of folks and Events that you know in a National publication.

Looking forward to the 80 degree weather again...its Colder than Coal Diggers Ass in the Yukon up here.

Doc of the Bay :eek!:

LKSD
01-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Just got the issue with the LG write up the other day.. I see what Carl was saying about them kind of giving a feel tha tall of the classics were antiques.. Eitherway, neat write up.. On a different note it seems they slipped in a few more babes again. Maybe there were others that liked the variation of floatation that was commonly present in the past as well.. :D :D Jamie

roadtrip se
01-20-2008, 01:05 PM
I let my sub go a couple of years ago for the same reasons already stated here... not the greatest in accuracy of reporting and as Gero calls them, the "sk**nkasourous's" blocking the views of the boats. Yuck!

As for the "antique" bend, maybe a few Baja owners will read this report, a typcial demographic for this level of "performance" boating magazine, and think they can whoop up on us poor, helpless, old Classic Donzis again.

We need some fresh meat!

mjw930
01-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I loved the part about fabricating replacement parts.....

I just went over my boat bow to stern and the only thing that I can't buy out of a book from Mercury, Perco, Defender or West Marine are the lifting eyes, seats and the dash. Idiots......

Sweet little 16
01-21-2008, 09:51 AM

I just went over my boat bow to stern and the only thing that I can't buy out of a book from Mercury, Perco, Defender or West Marine are the lifting eyes, seats and the dash. Idiots......

I think they meant that between The 2 men Scott Pearson and Richard Weaver you could find parts no longer made and no longer used on a run of the mill classic, but if you were looking for a replacement walnut shifter knob with the correct logo for the vintage of your boat, or the era correct decals, or even perhaps the metal donzi script logo that came on the original classics just cause most of the parts on your boat can be ordered out of a cataloque there are many older classics which that is not the case

Rootsy
01-21-2008, 10:08 AM

you must have one of them there new fanlged "classics". If you are attempting to restore an OLD classic good luck finding original parts, unless someone like Bertram Boy, Scott Pearson, Richard Weaver or myself decides to recreate them or take the time to find a needle in a haystack. Some of the items that come to mind... Lifting rings, vents, dash, gauge sources, fuel tank sources and modifications, stern light options, bow lights, lifting ring mounting brackets, shifter knobs, steering bezels, interiors (yeah bilt-rite doesn't make those anymore), cast Donzi Marine scripts, original style Donzi decal. Give me a few minutes I can probably think of a few more items...

Oh well screw it. I think i'll finish the "Mistress" from my perko catalog... :hangum:

Carl C
01-21-2008, 11:00 AM
SL16 and Rootsy are correct about the vintage stuff but the article, which was written by Judy Darby not Morgan, inferred that the Classics were discontinued decades ago.:smash: Anyway that was a smooth move of Doc to get his pic in there with the poker run boats and it looks right at home!:cool: Oh yeah, and anyone complaining about the girls being gone better take a better look at this issue!:wink:

LKSD
01-21-2008, 12:43 PM
you must have one of them there new fanlged "classics". If you are attempting to restore an OLD classic good luck finding original parts, unless someone like Bertram Boy, Scott Pearson, Richard Weaver or myself decides to recreate them or take the time to find a needle in a haystack. Some of the items that come to mind... Lifting rings, vents, dash, gauge sources, fuel tank sources and modifications, stern light options, bow lights, lifting ring mounting brackets, shifter knobs, steering bezels, interiors (yeah bilt-rite doesn't make those anymore), cast Donzi Marine scripts, original style Donzi decal. Give me a few minutes I can probably think of a few more items...
Oh well screw it. I think i'll finish the "Mistress" from my perko catalog... :hangum:

We also do & have been doing for many years, the old / obsolete parts thing. However some of the stuff we only do inhouse on/for boats that are @ our shop.. :)

Jamie / lakeside

LKSD
01-21-2008, 12:45 PM
SL16 and Rootsy are correct about the vintage stuff but the article, which was written by Judy Darby not Morgan, inferred that the Classics were discontinued decades ago.:smash: Anyway that was a smooth move of Doc to get his pic in there with the poker run boats and it looks right at home!:cool: Oh yeah, and anyone complaining about the girls being gone better take a better look at this issue!:wink:

I saw some of the girlies were back in the new issue.. :nilly::yes::party:

mjw930
01-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to insinuate that ALL parts for classics were available BUT for the 22, which came into production in the '80's, the only parts you would have to fabricate or scrounge would be the scoops, lifting eyes (maybe) and the dash / gauges.

Of course, since the 16, 18 and 22 are still in production you could always replace it with something that is being used on the current models but I suppose that would rub some people the wrong way.

I guess I have one of those "new fangled" 21 year old boats so I don't understand :cool: ;)

Dr. Dan
01-21-2008, 09:30 PM
:hijack:Not that anyone is really interested in the careless bantor or BS, but the Thread is about the Fall Poker Run, put on by the Lake George Powerboat Assoc. its a fund raiser for a fallen Fireman.

It would be cool this year to get a few more Classics to attend, it is always fun to have your Donzi recognized at any run more than the half million dollar boats its parked next to.

Ironic, but a common occurance... as cool as the mega boats are... the simplicity of the Cigarette and the Classics, make them an iconic marker in performance boating circles where ever we go.

I guess its what makes all this so worth while... :smash:

Come on Summer.

Doc of :drive:

undertaker
01-22-2008, 01:05 PM
I would love to do this event this year...it is on the list as long as my schedule behaves.....see ya there.....:propeller::propeller:

Undertaker:hyper:

Pismo
01-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Did the Hacker Boat Co. (which is on LG) have one of their racers at the poker run?