PDA

View Full Version : hanging a donzi

Bernard
01-15-2008, 01:06 AM
When using davits are any of you using the lifting rings? While pulling the boat up with davits, the stern one pulled out a few millimeters from the deck but appears fairly well bonded to the hull inside. I'm using the transom rings with a spreader now but wonder if I should go to a sling. Any thoughts?

BTW, the boat's a 1995 18' Classic

Thanks,
Wen

Mr X
01-15-2008, 04:39 AM
When using davits are any of you using the lifting rings? While pulling the boat up with davits, the stern one pulled out a few millimeters from the deck but appears fairly well bonded to the hull inside. I'm using the transom rings with a spreader now but wonder if I should go to a sling. Any thoughts?
BTW, the boat's a 1995 18' Classic
Thanks,
Wen
I would NOT use the "transom rings" as you are calling them. They are for towing a skier, not lifting your boat. Not safe at all. Use the single lifting rings in the bow and stern of your deck.

p729lws
01-15-2008, 09:05 AM
I hang my '86 22 Classic from the eyes and have not had any issues. The design of the brackets for the eyes have changed through the years and some are better than others. You might consider beefing up the bracket if the lift eye is deflecting. I also recommend nylon slings so you don't damage the deck or eye finish. I've been happy ordering from these guys http://www.lkgoodwin.com/ but it looks like they drop ship from these guys http://www.lift-all.com/ so the pricing might be better if they will sell direct. The service from LKGoodwin is very good so it would have to be a pretty good price break to consider changing.

Dan

Bernard
01-15-2008, 09:21 AM
He said the transom "D-rings" were sufficient to hold up the boat, but he said the stern lifting ring topsides was specifically for that. With only 2 points lifting the boat, it seems as if the boat may rock a bit more in heavy wind. There are a lot of boats in the neighborhood hung from D-rings ...

p729lws
01-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Damn, I'm suprised the D-rings didn't fail! I guess they are stronger than they look. I think the D-rings are only there for trailer tie down straps.

Your 18 won't swing any more hanging from the 2 eyes than it would from a traditional sling. They ones around me that swing the most are the the ones in cradles as the "pendulum" is longer.

My race Pantera will hang from the transom rings but it was designed for it as were the other boats in your neighborhood in guessing.

p729lws
01-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I just saw your comment that you called Donzi about the D-rings. I'm suprised they said that. Maybe Mr. X can give us some more detail. On the 22 there is not any wood in that part of the transom, only fiberglass.

mjw930
01-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I just saw your comment that you called Donzi about the D-rings. I'm suprised they said that. Maybe Mr. X can give us some more detail. On the 22 there is not any wood in that part of the transom, only fiberglass.

That might depend on the year of manufacture as I think the newer boats use a fully cored transom where the older boats (60's - mid '90's) are only cored where the outdrive connects.

When I called Donzi to get the trailer specs for my '87 their first comment was, "I didn't build that boat". I wouldn't go on what they say relative to a new one they build vs. an older boat.

I'm about to add trailer tie downs and I'm going to add a 4" x 4" piece of star board to the port side, the starboard side will mount through a section that already has a piece of core glassed in where they mount the electrical junction.

FWIW I'm REALLY new to Classic Donzi's but not new to performance boats. Not all of my information may be accurate with respect to the various permutations of the Classics but I'm trying to learn. If someone has a better idea on how I should mount my trailer tie downs please let me know.

Back to this question, most modern boats can be lifted for short durations off the tie downs so long as they have a decent backing plate on the transom so most are fully cored. Hanging the boat off of them for the long term ain't something I would do. I would NEVER do that on a partially cored transom like the older Classics.

Pismo
01-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Here is my experience, there are many good comments.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41471&highlight=pismo

Bernard
01-15-2008, 11:28 AM
I think I'm going to go using straps for the stern as I am a little hesitant to use the stern lifting ring that is already deflecting. Even though the transom D-rings are supposedly good for lifting according to the people manning the phone at Donzi, I'd feel safer with a nylon strap used with a 7' spreader I have- Using a 5' spreader for the transom rings now.

Hopefully after all this I'll be well
http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/hangum.gif

Thanks again
Wen

Mr X
01-15-2008, 06:06 PM
He said the transom "D-rings" were sufficient to hold up the boat, but he said the stern lifting ring topsides was specifically for that. With only 2 points lifting the boat, it seems as if the boat may rock a bit more in heavy wind. There are a lot of boats in the neighborhood hung from D-rings ...
Please give me the name of the person you talked to at Donzi.

Bernard
01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
I didn't get a name, but it was whoever was answering the phone at the "factory" number from their website - 800-973-2628

Bernard
01-15-2008, 06:31 PM
I think a nylon web sling hung from a 7 foot spreader I have is the way to go for the stern. I'll use the bow lifting ring in the front. I'll save tinkering with the stern lifting ring for a later date.
Many thanks for all the replies

mjw930
01-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Please give me the name of the person you talked to at Donzi.

When I called the 800 number looking for trailer specs they hooked me up with Tony Vingelli. He was very helpful and sent me the official trailer print done in '99. He didn't know if it was applicable to the '87 since, as he put it, "I didn't build that boat".

I called twice and both times was transfered to Tony so it's likely that's who he talked to.

Mr X
01-16-2008, 02:05 PM
This Tony Vingelli of Donzi Customer Service, I am logged in using Ted's ID.
When customers call for advice on hanging Donzi Classic Boats,
My response is and has been to use the designated lifting rings.
Bow and stern eyes (d-rings) are NOT designated lifting rings.

mjw930
01-16-2008, 02:24 PM
This Tony Vingelli of Donzi Customer Service, I am logged in using Ted's ID.
When customers call for advice on hanging Donzi Classic Boats,
My response is and has been to use the designated lifting rings.
Bow and stern eyes (d-rings) are NOT designated lifting rings.

Tony,

Both times I talked to you I was impressed with your effort in resolving my issues and the quick turn around and email on the trailer specs (BTW, they match the '87 perfectly even though you didn't build it ;) )

I only mentioned your name since I had been directed to you twice without directly asking for you so it seemed reasonable that this person spoke to you also. Obviously they didn't, SORRY!

Bernard
01-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Well, I removed the transom bracket for the lifting ring to check it out. It appears to have bent a fair bit. Does anyone know if this is common?

Pismo
01-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Well, I removed the transom bracket for the lifting ring to check it out. It appears to have bent a fair bit. Does anyone know if this is common?

Mine looked exactly the same...

See for pictures of mine and the replacement I had made.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41471&highlight=pismo