PDA

View Full Version : trim tabs.....

gcarter
01-13-2008, 12:54 PM
There's an interesting discussion here;
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176664
about trim tab location. Ya might wanna read it.
I would like some reassurance about the subject of this thread.

BlownCrewCab
01-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Look at the pics of the back of my boat in the for sale section. I mounted my tabs 1/2 deadrise, but as far inboard towards the drive without interfearing with turning lock to lock. It's set to control how the boat flies at high speed. the corners of the transom by the chine aren't close enough to the water when your really haulin the mail, and to put a tab down far enough to have an effect, thats mounted that far out could cause Ill handling. Now, Mounting your tabs parralel to the bottom all the way outboard is great for correcting a uneven load, if your load is that un even you shouldn't be haulin the mail in the first place, Or jumping out of the water. Only when you can safely run 60+mph, can you safely jump out of the water at 60+mph. and re-entering the water with a tab too far down going fast can throw people out when that correction takes effect.
Where you mount your tabs has everything to with how you use your boat. some locations are better than others for low speed stuff, and some suck at low speed but shine at high speed. and there probably is a happy medium but you have to find it.

MOP
01-13-2008, 04:20 PM
George on a 22 I doubt you would get away with mounting the tabs so close to the drive, as you know I have installed few sets, just a few over 30+ years. The 22 is to heavy in the azz end you stand wore then a good chance of the drive blowing out is you use the tabs to compensate for load at low to cruise speeds. Believe me I have had to move them outboard after complying with insistent customers, the ha ha was they paid twice!

Phil

DonCig
01-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Brownie has a lot of wisdom gained through the years:

" Depends on what you use the tabs for. If they are for longitudenal (fore and aft) trim, either way is OK. If they are for roll axis control (side to side), then following the bottom contour is desirable. Visualize a couple of extra fat asses on one side, and the boat leaning 15 or so degrees. A horizontally mounted tab would be a great deal less effective because it is at the same angle."

Brownie