PDA

View Full Version : Hornet Marine

David Hartmann
01-12-2008, 04:30 PM
We have finally done it. a group of us have been talking and planning on starting a boat company for a very long time. We have spent the past two years proving out marketability of the product we will be selling.

We will have a boat in the 2010 Miami Show!

I am sure most of you know how great the Hornet hull is and I am betting that from the title of the Thread you can guess the name of the company.

We are still doing a bit of research and will be looking for a lot of input from the people on this board that have so much experiance.

We will be posting more information as time moves forward.

David Hartmann
01-12-2008, 04:35 PM
The first model from Hornet Marine is going to be based on one of the Hornet hulls.

I believe I am correct that
the St. Tropez and the Hornet are the exact same hull?
The only difference for the Hornet II is that it is a bit longer to avoid flotation regulations.
I really do not know much about the Hornet III

Can anyone tell me the differences in the Hulls of these boats? do they all have that same flare at the front? and that same rounded nose profile? Do they all ride as good as the St Tropez?

Kirk
01-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Good Luck to you and Hornet Marine!

A worthy endeavor based on a great hull. Will the bench be part of the product line?

If I can help in anyway please let me know I live in Westbrook, CT.

All the best,

KJ

gcarter
01-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I wish you well, and good success.
Tough business to break into, I hope you beat the odds.

Scott Pearson
01-14-2008, 08:48 AM
I have a Ski Locker "PLUG" thats all done for the hornet. The hard is done.

Only used once. Come get it! $1800.00

Lenny
01-14-2008, 11:38 AM
I got rid of my X-18 molds, hull/deck, and all interior parts for $3000.00 :( And it was not easy... in fact, they are for sale again by the fella that bought 'em. Like stated, TOUGH business to break into.

Good luck. :)

Marlin275
01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
I got rid of my X-18 molds, hull/deck, and all interior parts for $3000.00 :( And it was not easy... in fact, they are for sale again by the fella that bought 'em. Like stated, TOUGH business to break into.

Lenny,
Why did you get out without one boat for you?
Seemed like a great idea and concept!

Lenny
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Lenny,
Why did you get out without one boat for you?
Seemed like a great idea and concept!

I DID keep one for me. I have two real ones, and the "bench" is from the molds I sold. I made about 3 decks and a pair of hulls and an array of parts from certain areas, all to be cut up and "blended" and create the Bench X. It is THIS hull/deck that will become the plugs for the Bench "X" run.

Geesh, you don't think I would give up that easy do you? :D
You'll have to talk to Buizilla in about year as to the finished product and what he thinks of it :)

David Hartmann
01-14-2008, 09:05 PM

If you have his contact infomation that might be helpful. The first model is not going to be traditional Donzi Classic but maybe in the future. Ya never know.

David Hartmann
01-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Does anyone have any input on the differenes between the four hornet hulls?

beam, width, freeboard, bow flare, nose shape, balance?

Lenny
01-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Hornets have about a 20-21 degree deadrise. Not traditional big "V's" like the others here. Makes them stable tho, just not your "best" rough water hull design.

I would still LOVE to have one tho.

MX roadsters in Seattle comes to mind ;) Haven't heard from him in about 5 years :(

David Hartmann
02-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Can anyone help with Hornet III info. I have heard it is much different design than the others

St Tropez
LOA 19' 2.5"
Beam 7'10"
Draft to Keel 1'
to Drive 2'3"
GW 2600#-2700#
freeboard Bow 2'6"
Mid 2'4"
Transom 2'
fuel 40 gal
hieght deck to keel 4'

Hornet
Same as St Tropez

Hornet II
LOA 20'3"
Beam 7'10"
Draft to Keel 1'
to Drive 2'3"
gw 3000#

Hornet III
Need info?

David Hartmann
01-05-2010, 05:42 PM
If anyone wants admission tickets to the Miami Boat show, Let me know.

Hornet Marine will pick up tickets for Donzi owners and fans.

I will mail the tickets to you before the show. You need to request them from me by 14 January 2010

Davidh@hornetmarine.com
860 944 1210

Rob M
01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Please posts pics as soon as your new model is officially unveiled!

CHACHI
01-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Dave, a very nice gesture. Unfortunately, I too will be at a trade show, but not the one in Miami.

Ken

axelkloehn
01-06-2010, 02:38 AM
...this is my support to this fantastic idea...

Good luck with the project, Axel

.................................................. ...............................................

scippy
01-06-2010, 10:02 PM
The first model from Hornet Marine is going to be based on one of the Hornet hulls.

I believe I am correct that
the St. Tropez and the Hornet are the exact same hull?
The only difference for the Hornet II is that it is a bit longer to avoid flotation regulations.
I really do not know much about the Hornet III

Can anyone tell me the differences in the Hulls of these boats? do they all have that same flare at the front? and that same rounded nose profile? Do they all ride as good as the St Tropez?

Not to give up your production methods, but when you say "based on one of the hornet hulls" how close in design is your new based upon hull than the donzi hornets of the past. What differenciating look will we see in the new hull.

Planetwarmer
01-07-2010, 12:24 AM
I am excited for you. I would love to do something like what you are doing.

realbold
01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Too cool. I had a pipe dream of doing the same thing with a different mold.
Good luck and post pics.

CHACHI
01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Dave, it was nice talking with you today and from the sounds in the background it seems you are quite busy.

Good luck in Miami.

Ken

mrfixxall
01-07-2010, 09:12 PM

I will mail the tickets to you before the show. You need to request them from me by 14 January 2010

Davidh@hornetmarine.com
860 944 1210

Is air fair included? :)

boats74
01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Can't wait to see pics. Wish you all the best with the new venture. :shades:

David Hartmann
01-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Not to give up your production methods, but when you say "based on one of the hornet hulls" how close in design is your new based upon hull than the donzi hornets of the past. What differenciating look will we see in the new hull.

Well I hate to disappoint but the first Hornet is not going to be the 21 foot that we were initially planning. Because of marketing reasons we have decided that the first Hornet will be a 17 foot sport boat. More details will follow. But each boat will be assembled to the customers specifications.

Production will not be in full gear until June or July of 2010.

I want to continue to thank everyone on the board for there support.

David Hartmann
01-08-2010, 02:37 PM
...this is my support to this fantastic idea...

Good luck with the project, Axel

.................................................. ...............................................

Awesome! This board is great.

We really appreciate the support.

as a thank you to everyone here is another reminder

Davidh@hornetmarine.com
860 944 1210

mc donzi
01-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Hornets have about a 20-21 degree deadrise. Not traditional big "V's" like the others here. Makes them stable tho, just not your "best" rough water hull design.

I would still LOVE to have one tho.

MX roadsters in Seattle comes to mind ;) Haven't heard from him in about 5 years :(

Hi Lenny,

MX roadsters??? Do you mean the 'replicar' based on the mid 60's Austin Healey 3000?

Dave

David Hartmann
01-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Well the good news is the Hull mold is complete.

The bad news we won't have a top side ready for the show.

Other good news we have 50 free passes to the show. I will be mailing out the ones requested later this week. I will continue to send out passes until we are out of them so please let me know if you want free tickets.

Please stop by our booth It would be great to meet people from the site. I would really enjoy talking to you about what we are doing.

David

David Hartmann
02-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Tickets are going out tomorrow.

If you need tickets and have not put in a request. Give me a call at the show. I will meet you at any convention center entrance with passes.

860 944 1210

David Hartmann

David Hartmann
02-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Jim Wynne
Walt Walters
Harold Hartmann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bHw6Yio0GE

fogducker III
02-03-2010, 05:21 PM
So the three guys running the boat in the video are designing and building your new product........? Do you have any details? Thanks.

barrukis1
02-03-2010, 05:31 PM
http://www.hornetmarine.com/

fogducker III
02-03-2010, 05:40 PM
http://www.hornetmarine.com/

Thanks for the link, that clears up the first question...........is there a product yet?

David Hartmann
02-03-2010, 05:55 PM
So the three guys running the boat in the video are designing and building your new product........? Do you have any details? Thanks.

The crew all directly had involvement with the design. There is obvious Wynne Walters influence with many modern improvements that are incorporated most of which are from my father, the third member of the crew.

They are not the builders. Jim Wynne and Harold Hartmann passed away several years ago.

David Hartmann
02-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the link, that clears up the first question...........is there a product yet?

No
We will not be shipping boats until July. We will be out in the CT river in March doing some sea trials relating to drive position. If anyone would like to stop by and visit our facility we would welcome the opportunity to show off our world class facility as it is being outfitted.

CHACHI
02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Dave, as soon as get finished with my 3 week road trip, I will definatly get in touch to "get the nickel tour".

I am really looking forward to it.

Ken

CHACHI
02-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Dave, Harold Hartmann...........your Dad?

Ken

David Hartmann
02-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Ken
Yes,
he was a project engineer for United Aircraft Corporate Systems Center.

His job was to prove the versatility of Gas Turbines and show that they could handle extreme conditions.

David Hartmann
02-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Ken

Oh yeah, We had a sail boat before this. After working with Wynne and Walters for a year he came home and sold the sail boat and bought the St. Tropez that I still have.

Ghost
02-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Congrats on the new enterprise. Sounds VERY cool. Can't wait to see more. -Mike

David Hartmann
02-05-2010, 12:56 PM
For those of you in Connecticut.

We are hosting a happy hour tonight.

The first Hornet Hull was pulled from the mold today.

We are having a happy hour from 5 to 7PM tonight, Friday 5 February 2010 to celebrate. Our New Production facility is coming along nicely as well.

Come by and see what we have going on.

We will be packing up and taking it the Miami International Boat Show on Monday.

We are at 400 Middle Street, Bristol CT 06010. We are in the back of a large industrial building Next to Tiger Claw Inc.

VetteLT193
02-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Pictures?

CHACHI
02-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Damn, in Cincinnati at a motorcycle show.

Have a wonderful time.

Ken

David Hartmann
02-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for the outstanding support from people on the forum. We have already had the pleasure of meeting a few of you at the show.

Got to meet one Jim Wynnes Nephews as well as one of Walt Walters Nephews. It is really great being down here. So many people that have been in this industry for so long.

A lot of friends, peers, competitors of Wynne and Walters have been stopping by. Great stories and great people.

Thank you again. We will post some pictures when we get back To CT.

David Hartmann
02-15-2010, 12:21 PM
For those of you that want to stay tuned to all the developments at Hornet Marine, Check us out on FaceBook. Become a fan of Hornet Marine on FaceBook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hornet-Marine/183919031878

mrfixxall
02-15-2010, 12:58 PM
For those of you that want to stay tuned to all the developments at Hornet Marine, Check us out on FaceBook. Become a fan of Hornet Marine on FaceBook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hornet-Marine/183919031878

Dave good luck with Hornet marine! :) I would like to add some of my o2 on thease smaller boats.. i would like to see a center council with cup holders for 4,would like to see a separate shifter and throttle in the center council it's self and not the cheep plastic crap that mountd on the side like merc sells .maybe add a flip up storage area with a lock for personal belongings.. i would also like to see molded in storage compartments along the sides of the passenger area's..I think a molded in anchor compartment in the nose of the boat would be a nice option because theirs no place to put one in a classic with out it bouncing around..

just some of m ideas to incorporate in your boats..

Good luck! :)

David Hartmann
02-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Dave good luck with Hornet marine! :) I would like to add some of my o2 on thease smaller boats.. i would like to see a center council with cup holders for 4,would like to see a separate shifter and throttle in the center council it's self and not the cheep plastic crap that mountd on the side like merc sells .maybe add a flip up storage area with a lock for personal belongings.. i would also like to see molded in storage compartments along the sides of the passenger area's..I think a molded in anchor compartment in the nose of the boat would be a nice option because theirs no place to put one in a classic with out it bouncing around..

just some of m ideas to incorporate in your boats..

Good luck! :)
Thank you so much for the feedback. This is exactly what we need to make Hornets great. You will see a couple of these suggestions in Model One. We log the rest of them and will incorporate suggestions like this as we bring out new models.

THANK YOU!

Send me an address and t shirt size and I will send one out to you for the contribution. davidh@hornetmarine.com.

David

Rob M
02-23-2010, 07:11 PM
David:
Great endeavour! Will be interested in hearing if a benchseat model is in the long term plans....
Not sure how far along you are in the planned order of your model line-up and mold development...but thought you might be interested in this listing I found for what looks to be a St. Tropez - from the pics this looks beyond a resto candidate, but could be useful to you in mold developments??
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/1606588033.html
My 2 cents on style considerations etc. is to go for the higher end touches on rigging quality that defined first generation Donzis (steering wheels, throttle, deck hardware and vents) and avoid the cheap plastic garbage that is pervasive now. Also, ideal to add-in some of the conveniences the original Hornet model lacked (pop-up cleats, underseat storage, sidewall storage).
Rob

Planetwarmer
02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
David:
Great endeavour! Will be interested in hearing if a benchseat model is in the long term plans....
Not sure how far along you are in the planned order of your model line-up and mold development...but thought you might be interested in this listing I found for what looks to be a St. Tropez - from the pics this looks beyond a resto candidate, but could be useful to you in mold developments??
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/1606588033.html
My 2 cents on style considerations etc. is to go for the higher end touches on rigging quality that defined first generation Donzis (steering wheels, throttle, deck hardware and vents) and avoid the cheap plastic garbage that is pervasive now. Also, ideal to add-in some of the conveniences the original Hornet model lacked (pop-up cleats, underseat storage, sidewall storage).
Rob
I absolutely agree! Use quality accessories and go that extra mile. There are so many boat manufacturers that use the "Bass Pro" special rigging. This is your only chance to make a smashing first impression in the world of boating. Now is the time to set yourself apart from the rest. The added cost of quality parts is well worth the relatively small addition of cost. You could lay up the best hulls in the world, but most people only see the rigging and gauge the quality of the boat off of that. Nice steering wheel, high quality switches, pop-up cleats = high-quality boat in the eyes of most. From what Ive seen, anyways.

David Hartmann
02-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Just a quick look at the plug for the topside. I think most of you will be able to get an idea of the layout.

More and better photos are coming.

There are four storage areas under the wrap around seat. There is also storage in the floor.

The two small storage compartments are for the primary battery and an optional second battery.

Sign up on our website to get Press Releases related to the Progress of Hornet Marine. www.hornetmarine.com

mrfixxall
02-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Just a quick look at the plug for the topside. I think most of you will be able to get an idea of the layout.

More and better photos are coming.

There are four storage areas under the wrap around seat. There is also storage in the floor.

The two small storage compartments are for the primary battery and an optional second battery.

Sign up on our website to get Press Releases related to the Progress of Hornet Marine. www.hornetmarine.com (http://www.hornetmarine.com)

it would also be nice if their were a flip forward section to where you can get to the engine easier..thease thing can be a pain in the butt to work on..

CHACHI
02-28-2010, 05:57 AM
Mike, how many "T" shirts do you need? :wink:

Ken

mrfixxall
02-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Mike, how many "T" shirts do you need? :wink:

Ken

Ken, by the time i done giving Dave ideas ill have a whole wardrobe to boot :wink:

mike o
02-28-2010, 01:08 PM
it would also be nice if their were a flip forward section to where you can get to the engine easier..thease thing can be a pain in the butt to work on..It is a good idea, since you already will have the cover molds anyway. Just make the hole the same size as one of them in the plug.......:cool!:

David Hartmann
03-04-2010, 04:17 PM
It is a good idea, since you already will have the cover molds anyway. Just make the hole the same size as one of them in the plug.......:cool!:

It took me a while to understand what you meant. I get it now. We will log the idea. and I know from personal experience with a 351w in a 16' that this would be nice. It won't be on the first few boats. I am hoping that the V6 will make it a bit easier to work on. An access panel is a good idea but it will have to wait for a major mold improvement which is about 30 boats away. The reason is to make sure we incorporate as many ideas as possible into a new plug. We anticipate learning a great deal as we outfit the first several boats and then as we get more user feedback.

Thanks again

For those of you in or near CT we will be having another open house the last week of March, most likely wednesday evening. I will post more details and all of you are invited.

Walt. H.
03-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Ah' too bad would have like to stop by but Bristol CT. is about 2hrs 45 minutes away from me, but thanks for the invite.
WH:wavey:

CHACHI
03-05-2010, 02:16 PM
For those of you in or near CT we will be having another open house the last week of March, most likely wednesday evening. I will post more details and all of you are invited.

Dang, travelling again.

Ken

David Hartmann
03-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Who: All area marine professionals and donzi.net contributors are invited to our March Open House Party

What: See the First Prototype Model One
17’ custom sport boat
First Factory Showing
World class manufacturing practices and supply chain solutions

When: Tuesday the 30th of March 2010
5:00 PM till 8:00 PM

Where: Hornet Marine
400 Middle Street
Bristol CT 06010

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=400+middle+street+06010&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.092988,88.505859&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=400+Middle+St,+Bristol,+Hartford,+Connecticu t+06010&z=16

The Hornet Marine facility is in a large industrial building directly across the street
from one of the ESPN buildings. The facility is just a couple miles from
I-84 or CT-72. The Main entrance is located around the back of the building
just off of Vincent P Kelly Road

RSVP: jayb@hornetmarine.com
860 516 3141

drm101
03-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Great idea, first of all. i wish you the best of luck.
Ckt breakers vs. fuses would be nice and Amphenol connectors in convenient locations so you don't have to pull an entire harness through a bulkhead hole to get it out for inspection. I would also make the gauge cluster fold down and include access to all the gages, wiring and fuses without having to lay on your back. I like my washer and dryer that has a laminated wiring diagram under the service panel. Nothing worse than trying to find which wire goes where while the boats rocking and that special someone your with is questioning your mechanical abilities.
Regards,
Dean

Planetwarmer
03-21-2010, 08:30 PM
I cant make it, but please take lots of pics.

David Hartmann
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
The topside came out of the mold on Monday.
Thank you again to everyone for all of the support we have been getting. Hopefully a few of you will be at our "open house" factory party on Tuesday.

Kirbyvv
03-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Very nice David. Will we see one on Lake George this summer?

yeller
03-27-2010, 02:29 AM
David, don't mean to be an a$$. It just comes naturally. :wink: Did I overlook something here. Isn't your boat a splash of the 16C. No one else mentioned it so I could be wrong.................but that would be the first time ever. :biggrin:

David Hartmann
03-29-2010, 07:51 PM
David, don't mean to be an a$$. It just comes naturally. :wink: Did I overlook something here. Isn't your boat a splash of the 16C. No one else mentioned it so I could be wrong.................but that would be the first time ever. :biggrin:

It is very similar although it is not a direct splash. We put a lot of work into the tooling.
There a few subtle differences on the hull.
On the topside the cockpit floor is almost 2 inches lower, It has a right side helm, There is under seat storage, The forward liner is also significantly different.

Just Say N20
03-29-2010, 08:38 PM
On the topside the cockpit floor is almost 2 inches,

I'm hoping this sentence was supposed to read the cockpit floor is almost 2 inches LOWER.

The would be very beneficial.

David Hartmann
03-29-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm hoping this sentence was supposed to read the cockpit floor is almost 2 inches LOWER.
The would be very beneficial.
yes
I just fixed the post

The floor is almost two inches lower. This gives more leg room on all seats. We split the difference for the helm giving half the space to the dash board and the other half to drivers knee room

Greg Guimond
03-30-2010, 05:58 AM
Is the hull still 24 degree deadrise and does it have any pad?

David Hartmann
03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Is the hull still 24 degree deadrise and does it have any pad?

Yes no pad but a large radius keel

David Hartmann
03-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Just wanted to thank those of you that stopped by the party. We will be having another open house toward the end of April. Things change so fast it is a great opportunity to keep up with progress

kraftee
04-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Very interesting thread - and I (like most members here I am sure) wish the whole Hornet Marine team much success in this decidely uphill market for new boats....especially as a fellow boatbuilder and also an owner of a Donzi clone myself. But I am still puzzled over what this has to do with "DONZI Perfomance Talk"... How about "Talk About OTHER Boats"? :wink:

David Hartmann
04-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Very interesting thread - and I (like most members here I am sure) wish the whole Hornet Marine team much success in this decidely uphill market for new boats....especially as a fellow boatbuilder and also an owner of a Donzi clone myself. But I am still puzzled over what this has to do with "DONZI Perfomance Talk"... How about "Talk About OTHER Boats"? :wink:

I agree. I sent a message to the moderator a few days ago asking if the whole thread could be moved there. I would like to to keep all of the current posts.

If anyone knows how or if this can be done let me know. Otherwise I will just start a new thread in the other category in a few days

David Hartmann
04-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I moved the Hornet thread to Other Boats

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61585

please keep sending us your feedback.