PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 14 Foot Baby's-HELP!

Donzi Racer
01-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Trying to track down as many of the 14 Baby Donzi's as I can. I thought since there are so few, it would be nice to compile a listing of them. Color, hull # if you know, top hatch or not, motor and outdrive set up, & what part of the country? Would be cool to do the 14 fisherman also. I saw one yesterday that I had never seen the color before. It was yellow. Anyway we had one in 1967 and trying to find out about as many as we can. your help would be greatly appreciated. Even if you are not the owner, but know of one let me know. Email me at mishunaire@aol.com or call if you like to Tom Bawsel 256-777-0844. Thanks so much and I will set us a spreadsheet if no one has done so already.

List of the ones I have seen so far. Babies;
Red Hull
Blue Hull
White Hull w/red stripe
Solid red hull # 777 on the side.
Yellow Hull
Cigerette one
Fishermans;
White Hull w/red interior
White Hull w/blue interior

More to come!

silverghost
08-15-2009, 02:47 AM
I am new to this Donzi site~
BUT I just saw your posting.
I have found another "Baby" to add to your list!
There is a red with white stripe Donzi Baby 14 in a small lagoon front house garage in Ocean City NJ. It has not been out of this garage in 25 years; and there is junk piled all around, and in front of it! The trailer tires are flat and it is now sitting on it's rims.
I talked to the now 80+ y/o owner several years ago and he stated that he bought it new! The gelcoat is in fine shape as it has always been stored inside this garage!
The owner when asked why he has not put her in the water stated "The timing gear broke and she does not run!~ You can't get in there to fix it!"
I do no know anythng about the engine or drive type as I only saw the "baby" from the garage door.
He stated at that time that he did not want to sell, and I had & have no interest in a Donzi Baby 14. It's far too small for me to use in this Great Egg Harbor bay of ours!
I suspect that there are many more"Classc Donzis" sleeping away in hiding just waiting to be discovered!
Brad Hunter

Donzi Racer
08-15-2009, 05:21 AM
I am new to this Donzi site~
BUT I just saw your posting.
I have found another "Baby" to add to your list!
There is a red with white stripe Donzi Baby 14 in a small lagoon front house garage in Ocean City NJ. It has not been out of this garage in 25 years; and there is junk piled all around, and in front of it! The trailer tires are flat and it is now sitting on it's rims.
I talked to the now 80+ y/o owner several years ago and he stated that he bought it new! The gelcoat is in fine shape as it has always been stored inside this garage!
The owner when asked why he has not put her in the water stated "The timing gear broke and she does not run!~ You can't get in there to fix it!"
I do no know anythng about the engine or drive type as I only saw the "baby" from the garage door.
He stated at that time that he did not want to sell, and I had & have no interest in a Donzi Baby 14. It's far too small for me to use in this Great Egg Harbor bay of ours!
I suspect that there are many more"Classc Donzis" sleeping away in hiding just waiting to be discovered!
Brad Hunter

Thanks Brad, that happens to be my favorite color combo. There were only two engines in those little jewels that I know about. One was a 80 hp renault engine, very lightweight and the other which everyone that I have heard about had the 120 Chevy 2 style 4 cyl with a mercruiser pre alpha type outdrive. At one time I could count 9 of them and yours would be new to the list. That makes 10 accounted for out of only 13 that the records say existed. If you ever get a chance to go back or would consider letting me know where it is, would be glad to make it worth your while. I usually buy and sell only classic Donzi Classics but that one would be my keeper. I still know where my original Baby White w/Red stripe is but I really love the Red ones. That makes 3 red ones, 1 yelow one, 1 white one, 3 blue ones, & 2 unknown colors. You made my day just by telling me about it. By the way, we get quite a few older Donzi Classics. Tell me what you are looking for and I might know where one is, sleeping away. Tom 256-777-0844 or mishunaire@aol.com

olredalert
08-15-2009, 04:11 PM
------Hey Tom,,,Im not knockin ya or anything. Good luck with all your buying and selling endeavors, but you starting a 14 DONZI registry is like letting a fox into the henhouse....:boggled:.......Mr.Bill

fasttrucker
08-15-2009, 04:56 PM
You need to post pictures,please!

BERTRAM BOY
08-15-2009, 10:43 PM
So let me see if I have this right. You want members to post here so that you don't have to do any of your own legwork so that you can purchase these boats to make a profit? Wow, you're really something.

BUIZILLA
08-15-2009, 10:51 PM
now if we can just figure out where Ed Rivers red 14 Fish ended up...

Donzi Vol
08-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Posted in January (long time ago):

Trying to track down as many of the 14 Baby Donzi's as I can. I thought since there are so few, it would be nice to compile a listing of them. Color, hull # if you know, top hatch or not, motor and outdrive set up, & what part of the country? Would be cool to do the 14 fisherman also. I saw one yesterday that I had never seen the color before. It was yellow. Anyway we had one in 1967 and trying to find out about as many as we can. your help would be greatly appreciated.

I usually buy and sell only classic Donzi Classics but that one would be my keeper. I still know where my original Baby which i White w/red stripe is but I really love the red ones. That makes 3 red ones, 1 yelow one, 1 white one, 3 blue ones, & 2 unknown colors. You made my day just by telling me about it.

So let me see if I have this right. You want members to post here so that you don't have to do any of your own legwork so that you can purchase these boats to make a profit? Wow, you're really something.

If you all would read the thread, you would notice that the list of 14's isn't involved in any buying, selling, trading, losing in poker matches, sinking, or whatever you think is going on.

I have nothing to do with all of this, thus have tried my best to stay out of it, but sometimes you guys just really piss me off. If you have a problem with somebody, pick up the damn phone and call them! That's the way we do it where I come from. And if you have a problem with this, you're welcome to call me anytime. 865-254-2833.

-David

Donzi Racer
08-19-2009, 10:03 AM
------Hey Tom,,,Im not knockin ya or anything. Good luck with all your buying and selling endeavors, but you starting a 14 DONZI registry is like letting a fox into the henhouse....:boggled:.......Mr.Bill

Thanks for the not knocking part Mr Bill, I need more of that like two more holes in my head. Check your date on this thread. I started this one when I was a regular Donzi enthusiast like you. Before I became Darth Vader of the DONZI WORLD stealing all the Donzi's from respectable people and fixing them up and selling them to, LET's SEE, Oh yea, PEOPLE THAT HAVE ALWAYS WANTED A DONZI!!!!!!!!! but either could not afford one or did not feel comfortable with the normal buying procedure of not knowing what they were getting for their hard earned money or like me for so many years could not find one of the damn things to buy! ! I'm a BADDDD BOYYYY!! SHAME ON OLE DONZI RACER FOR DOING SUCH A DISPICABLE THING!!!! OH yea I completely forgot that I also buy Donzi's from people on this website that are having a very hard time moving their boats for whatever reason, I think they are a good deal since I can clean & fix them up and make a little hard earned money for myself. Sounds like the American Dream, but what do I know? SHame on me again, what a dispicable evil person I must be. I may need to go up on the 10 most wanted posters right between ole bin laden and Whitey Bulger Mobster which are # 1 & 2 tight now. OK I feel better now how bout ya'll?

Mr Bill the reason I started this post is the 14 baby was my very 1st Donzi 43 years ago, before most of the know it alls on this website had even heard of a DONZI. I thought since I knew where 9 of the 13 were, I would like to know if the other 4 were still running or ? Not location exactly but if anybody knew that they still existed. I do want one to Keep for Little ole Me in a Red solid with a white stripe. I have one of the original 80 hp renault engines that came out of Poodles F-14 and I wanted to have it supercharged or turbocharged and slip it back in an original 14 and keep it. I can go get our original 14 & redo it and may end up doing that but would have to pay about 3500 more than the rest of the Donzi Gang thinks it is worth and do an extensive redo on it and I would be afraid it would end up in the storage building collecting dust like a lot of the so called experts have their ones that are ready for Restoration!

Thanks for setting up the question though where I could get a few things off my chest. Now you guys that I am buying the boats from on this registry, let me know if I am doing the wrong thing and you don't want to sell to a mean ole thing like me. Lets see I have bought about 12 of them from the registry now. Wonder what the guys that sold their boats would say about BAD ole Donzi Racer!!!! Bye now, Jasper Talledaga, "That is Tom in disguise, don't you know"

Donzi Racer
08-19-2009, 10:33 AM
I had not seen this thread for a day or two until Donzi Vol told me to look at it but I was emailing a person this morning that was selling their very rare classic Donzi and telling them that I was interested in talking to them about it but it may be better for them if I just told all the you know who's that I was thinking about buying it, and the ones that have the same kind of boat (I think there are 3 or 4 of them posted on this thread) would surely pool their money and pay asking price to keep me away from it!!!! Being the mean ole Money Hungrey Monster I am, I offered to do that for NO CHARGE! Lets see if he wants to try that! If nothing else this is all FUN, because at the end of the day, I am out choosing one of 6 or 7 different Donzi's sitting in a lift to take a 1/2 hour ride in and the rest of the world isn't able to go for a Donzi ride in a completely different classic Donzi every single day of the week. ANd when you really get down to it, that is what these Donzis are about. Taking rides, never closer to GOD than when I am in a running a Classic Donzi. Makes you awfully thankful! Also I have had many times more responses to my post & threads than I used to. Wonder what that is about? Maybe I should try and post my ebay ads here again. Jasper

Donzi Racer
08-19-2009, 10:48 AM
It seems that there was a lottery and there were three different guys that won a Million dollars a piece. The 1st guy was a dentist and when asked what he was going to do with his windfall, he said he loved Golf and so far was only able to play on wednesdays & sundays at the local courses. Now he was going to take a 3 month vacation and play the finest and most famous courses in the world to include, ireland, scotland, & even Japan. Wow great way to use that found money!
2nd guy was a stock broker and he said he was so tired of taking care of old elitest stuffy old multi millionaires that did not thank him when they made money but were sure to blame him when one of their ideas did not pay off. His fault for listening to the customer. Well he was going to take off work and do his own Stock portfolio and not have to put up with them old KNOW IT ALLS!
3rd guy was a little Donzi Enthusiast that had loved Donzi's all their lives. He was only able to buy one Donzi at a time because of financial considerations but he was really enjoying it. Some OLD Donzi's it took him months to do, some were years of enjoyment before it was time to sell his love and go to the next one. When they asked him what he wanted to do with his money? He replied that he was just going to keep doing what he had always been doing but he was going to do more than 1 Donzi at a time and do as many good ones as he could find and keep doing it as long as the money lasted. You see he was already doing what he was supposed to do here on this earth and was very happy doing it, the only way he could be any happier was to do more of them and get to see the smiling faces of the people that were buying their first DONZI with their savings when other people are worrying how they are going to pay the mortgage this month. I am saying try to have as much happiness as you can in your life and for me, it is a DONZI! Jasper signing off for a while!

NEXT in LINE PLEASE!!!!!!

Donzi Racer
08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
You can check out Tom's banner ad right here on the site for more information.....

Where is that Banner Ad at Poodle, I wanted to see that. Thanks for all your help with that by the way. It is really working out fine. T

Lenny
08-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Original F-14 on Lake Washington in Seattle. ( on land) Still hasn't moved in many years. White with blue.

Donzi Racer
08-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Original F-14 on Lake Washington in Seattle. ( on land) Still hasn't moved in many years. White with blue.

Thanks Lenny, wasn't doing the F-14 but we should. There are less of them than the babies. I cannot understand why there are so many F-14's that have come up for sale for reasonable prices but not the Babies at all. Maybe the 14's that havecome up for sale are the same boat or two. It just looks like more of them. Saw one the other day that had been converted into an outboard. And he was selling the point, that made it much better. Tom

bertsboat
02-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Its not a vergin anymore!

donzi racer
02-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Been meaning to do this for a long while but since someone brought it to the top, I will finally start it. A spreadsheet of the 1967 Donzi 14 Baby's & the F-14's. From what we have been told, there were around 13 Babies made and 12 F-14's. The way the story was told to me, there was one hull in the mold that got destroyed when the mold was destroyed in 1967. Not sure if that was one of the 25 or not. Then there was the one 14 Baby that was taken with Don Aronow to Cigarette, also not sure if that is one of the original 25. Finally there was one that was customized by another boat builder into a shiny red racing 14 that was supposedly built for Aronow himself. It is said that it was equipped with a very strong V-6 engine and you can barely tell it was originally a baby. Once again, not sure if that one is one of the original 25 hulls or not but it was listed for sale not too long ago for $100,000. Not sure if it sold or not. So now we get to the meat & potatoes of the group.

Color Engine Dual Hatch Location

White w/Red interior 120 HP Merc yes North Alabama

Blue 120 HP Merc ? yes Maine

Yellow w/Brn Interior 120 HP Merc yes Jacksonville Florida
Now 140 HP

Red w/White interior 120 HP Merc yes Michigan

Red 120 HP Merc? ? New Jersey
Barn

Red 120 HP ? Conneticut

1967 Donzi F-14

Color Engine Location

White 80HP Merc Augusta Georgia
RED/White now 3 litre Merc?

? OUTBOARD South Florida

? Seattle Washington

? Ad said 1968 327 chevy 300 HP Thousands Island NY

More to come and please add any more to it that you know about. Any wrong info, please change to correct. Would be neat to know where everyone of a Donzi Model were and if they were still running or operable. I guess I need to have another column for that. Tom

BUIZILLA
02-18-2010, 08:08 PM
what's an F13?

donzi racer
02-18-2010, 08:33 PM
WE CALLED IT "PEANUTS" AND BUILT A FEW IN '65,66, & 67. DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THAT, EXCEPT THAT WE GAVE THE MOLD TO ARONOW, WHO BUILT A COUPLE AT CIGARETTE.

BROWNIE

That makes the 2 cigs seem right. Blows the theory of the one that was destroyed while the mold was destroyed by DONZI though. That is neat about them being around since 1965, I had never heard that before. I guess the earlier ones did not have the 2nd engine hatch to check the oil & such. Tom

PS I believe the two 14's below might be the 2 Cigs that Brownie mentioned. I guess that these would not be part of the original 13 Donzi's made. T

Rootsy
02-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Hmmmm... To know where F14 #1 is and the Cig baby 14.... :kingme:

bertsboat
02-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Last time I went into detail it got way out of hand so I
went away. I thought SOME of you may be interested in what was going
on with the number three Baby (CRT) and last hull out of the mold is
up to. Correct me if I am wrong. This is number 14
By the way. I would assume that the Baby 14 with the Renault engine is the one without the second hatch. Probably due to the lower clearance. The 120 Mercruiser it too tall and the hatch actually is mandatory otherwise the carb and riser will not allow the hatch to close. This one is getting a new 120 with a Alfa 2 drive.
Like I said in a post in the past, I owned this boat in the mid 80'S. It had not been rigged and it was old at that time too. I owned it for a short time and I traded it to someone for two Finn-Nor reels. It sat at that person's house for over 25 years and I was lucky enough to get it back last year. It is a Baby Donzi however it has CRT numbers on the transom. Molded in not engraved. The Florida title lists it as a Cigg.
If you want more info and it does not get nasty I will list restoration progress.

BUIZILLA
02-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Roscioli's yard?

VetteLT193
02-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Last time I went into detail it got way out of hand so I
went away. I thought SOME of you may be interested in what was going
on with the number three Baby (CRT) and last hull out of the mold is
up to. Correct me if I am wrong. This is number 14
By the way. I would assume that the Baby 14 with the Renault engine is the one without the second hatch. Probably due to the lower clearance. The 120 Mercruiser it too tall and the hatch actually is mandatory otherwise the carb and riser will not allow the hatch to close. This one is getting a new 120 with a Alfa 2 drive.
Like I said in a post in the past, I owned this boat in the mid 80'S. It had not been rigged and it was old at that time too. I owned it for a short time and I traded it to someone for two Finn-Nor reels. It sat at that person's house for over 25 years and I was lucky enough to get it back last year. It is a Baby Donzi however it has CRT numbers on the transom. Molded in not engraved. The Florida title lists it as a Cigg.
If you want more info and it does not get nasty I will list restoration progress.

Please post the details. lots of Pics. Maybe start your own thread in the other boats section?

bertsboat
02-19-2010, 02:21 PM
What's this? OTHER BOATS SECTION?

VetteLT193
02-19-2010, 02:46 PM
"Talk About Other Boats" since it's a cig? I really don't care if it stays here. just would like to learn more about it.

bertsboat
02-19-2010, 06:02 PM
The stringers and transom all plastic now. All wood removed. Lot's of body work done. Red gel coat going on for a month now. Many coats top and bottom. Sanded between coats. Boat was wrapped as you might expect from sitting all these years. There was a tree growing out of it.
We cut an access hole in the foot rest so I can store life preservers etc. and added a forward floor so things wouldn't be in the bilge.

bertsboat
02-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Here are a few more pictures.

bertsboat
07-13-2010, 04:17 PM
This is the last one out of the mold, reborn.

donzi racer
02-04-2011, 08:10 PM
WOW Bert, that is really something to behold. Looks like something that George Carter has had his hands on & that is the best compliment I can give. How is it coming now? Just wonderful, hadn't seen this thread for quite a while but thans sooo much for sharing that 14. Tom

Greg Guimond
02-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Ferro "Kandy Apple Red" just like what the factory did in the 70's?

donzi racer
02-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Ferro "Kandy Apple Red" just like what the factory did in the 70's?

Greg, Great color, do you know the name of the red that was used in the 60's? I have always called it Coca Cola red because that is what it reminded me of. Great little boat & Wow what a great resto. Tom

donzi racer
02-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Ok here we go with a updated spreadsheet. I am going to include the Cigs since they were from the same mold. I will list them right in between the Donzi Babies & the F-14's. If the Cigs were part of the original #, which I do not believe they would be, we would be getting real close to the 13 number we have always thought there were. Here goes;

Donzi Baby 14 13 Produced

Blue 120 HP Merc yes Maine

Now 140 HP

Red 120 HP Merc? ? New Jersey Barn

Red 120 HP ? Conneticut

2 more Blues I have heard about but not sure of eng package or locations. That is 8 of the 13.

Cigarette/Donzi 14's

Red Custom 777 V-6 yes ?

Red Restored 120 hp yes ?

White w/ Lt Blue ? Yes ?

That makes 3 of these or 11 known Baby Hulls

F-14 Donzi Fisherman 12 Produced

#1 ? ?

White/Red int 80 Hp/ 3 litre now yes Augusta Georgia

? Converted OUTBOARD South Florida

White/Blue ? Lake Washinton,Seattle Washington

One that was made a mold for making other boats I recently heard about.

That makes 6 of the 12 produced in the F-14 or a total of 17 of the orig. 14 foot hulls.

DAULEY
02-21-2011, 10:02 AM
F14- a friend of mine has 3 of them in fla
baby 14 he has 1 of them

silverghost
02-21-2011, 11:14 AM
I just received an email & phone call about the red Baby 14 I reported years ago in an Ocean City NJ lagoon front house garage.
The tiny lagoon end house is still there~~~ I have not seen the garage opened since 2008 ~~~
I assume the Baby 14 might still be sleeping there in that tiny house's garage ?
I was not in Ocean City NJ at all last Summer as my Father was critically ill. He passed away at 92 years old ! I did no boating at all last year as I lost my best friend & boating buddy~~~My Father !

I have no contact phone numbers on this Baby 14's elderly owner~~~I assume he is still alive & the boat is still sleeping there ? This is his Summer vaction home only. He winters in PA.
I have no additional contact information to add !
He was the Original owner since the Baby 14 was NEW !

I noted today in Donzi Racer's up-dated Baby 14 list here~~~ a Red 14 in a NJ barn~~~
If this is in fact the same boat I mentioned~~~ It is NOT in a barn~~~But in a tiny venetion lagoon front Bay Ave & 17th-18th street & bay ave. house garage in Ocean City NJ . It is easily seen on a Google satelite web-shot.
The owner stated years ago that he was in fact not willing to sell it as he was saving it for his grandson who seemed to have very little interest in it at that time !
The engine was also said to have a broken timing gear issue & that is why it had been sitting unused all these many years . The owner was not able to fix this gear with the engine still in place in the boat's tight engine compartment.

&~~~ Sadly The grandson really wanted a Wave-Runner ! Not the Baby 14 !
I would think it would be a great little speedboat for a young teenage boy !
BUT~~~He seemed to have other ideas !

Sorry guys~~~I have NO new information on this red Baby 14 !
I have NO interest in this Baby 14 myself as I am a big guy and this boat would never fill any of my boating needs !
I suspect some day in the not so distant future it will eventually be for sale ?
If you are ever in Ocean City NJ during the Summer, and are interested in this Baby 14~~~Try knocking on the tiny house's door with cash in hand !
This Baby 14 was in pristine cosmetic condition~~~but has a mechanical engine issue.
Also remember that it was a salt-water boat all it's life & sat moored in a salt-water lagoon boat-slip all summer long~~~each & every year it was still in use !
The engine itself may just be a rusty mess internally by now~~~ Keep this in mind !

If you go hunting it down~~~
Remember~~~
It's the smallest waterfront house & garage in the entire area~~~You cannot miss it !

Good Luck !

UPDATE 4/2/11~~~~
The House & garage where this red baby 14 had been sleeping has been torn-down for redevelopment.
Sadly I do not have any new information on the fate, or current whereabouts af this Baby 14 Donzi.

donzi racer
02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks Brad for the info. Give me a call when you get a chance, would not mind that Red one to redo, since I am back to being mainly just an enthusiast again. Call me when you get a chance, Tom 256-777-0844

PS That is the one I put was in a barn that you had reported. I will change to a old garage instead. T

donzi racer
02-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I was just going to post this about a 14 Baby that I had heard about in the mid 1990's but did not know what the color was. I had heard that Brock Yates (CANNON BALL RUN FAME) had registered his little 14 Baby Donzi in a antique boat show & the promoters were trying to not to let the little Donzi in. Well is seems that he was having a hard time getting them to believe the boat was really 25 years old in order to qualify. It looked rather recent to them. Other than that story, that was all I ever heard about the Baby & Brock Yates other than a magazine story about him & his Donzi later.

Well now the story comes full circle for it was Brock Yates that owned the little 14 but there was confusion about it being a Baby. The boat was in fact a Donzi 1967 14 foot hull, but it was a F-14 instead of a Baby. It was named Baby Donzi on the transom though & therefor the confusion. The boat came up for auction in June of 2010 & someone (stole) I mean got a bargain on the little dude. From what I could see it looked very very good for a 43 year old Donzi. There was a power train upgrade from the original 120 Hp Merc setup to a Volvo engine & drive that looked very interesting & the sale price was absolutely unbelieveable. I hope one of the Donzi Brethren got lucky because there was mention of it in a thread back around then. If I would have know, it would not have been such a steal but hope that if it was a Donzi Enthusiast, they got it right. The unbelievable sale price which looks like met the reserve was $5500. WOW is all I can say, & congrats to the lucky owner. The link below is the link to it. http://www.antiqueboatamerica.com/ab...t&BoatId=29239 (http://www.antiqueboatamerica.com/ab_list_boatNew.asp?Left=Auction&Type=ViewBoat&BoatId=29239) It looks unbelieveable at that price. Tom

donzi racer
02-21-2011, 12:27 PM
F14- a friend of mine has 3 of them in fla
baby 14 he has 1 of them

Dauley, thanks for the info & what colors are they & engines if you know where we can be sure it is not one of the ones that we already have here but sounds like there may be at least 2 F-14's & a Baby that we have not accounted for. No names or exact locations are neccesary but the color combos would be nice. Thanks & how is the Cig sale going? Tom 256-777-0844

DAULEY
02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
tom
that is one of the 3 my friend has
im going to use it here in lake geneva this summer

donzi racer
02-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Ok here we go, some exact updates & a few possibles for the spreadsheet have come thru in the last few Minutes so here is how we may look now. Tom

DONZI BABY 14------13 TOTAL PRODUCED

COLOR----------POWER------------ DUAL HATCH?---AREA LOCATION

White w/Red----120 HP Merc-------------- yes ----------North Alabama

Blue ------------120 HP Merc -------------yes -------------Maine

Yellow w/Brn---120 HP Merc/now 140HP--yes ----Jacksonville Florida

Red w/White int - 120 HP Merc ---------yes----Now Florida

Red -------------120 HP Merc ---------?--New Jersey Garage

Red -------------120 HP Merc--------?---------- Conneticut

2 more Blues I have heard about but not sure of eng package or locations. That is 8 of the 13 made depending on the Cig models. So far every Baby that we know about had the 120 motor package but I believe the one that Brownie was describing that threw Aronow out was a Baby & was a 80 hp model & probably did not have the extra hatch for clearance for the 120 HP.

CIGARETTE/DONZI 14's

Red Custom 777--- V-6--------------- yes----------Florida

Red now Restored----120--------------yes------------ ?

White w/ Lt Blue----- ? ---------------Yes --------North US

That makes 3 Cigs or 11 known Baby Hulls

#1 --------------???-------------------------------????

White/Red int ----80 Hp/ 3 litre now---------Augusta Georgia

? Converted OUTBOARD---???----------------- South Florida

White/Blue------ ??? ----------------Lake Washinton,Seattle

? Ad said 1968----327 chevy 300 HP ----Thousands Island NY

White/White--------Volvo/Volvo-------Orig Brock Yates-Sold

Up to 2 F-14-------- ?????????? -------------South Florida

One that was made a mold for making other boats I recently heard about & Pic to follow.
Also need more info on the 2 more in So Florida just to be sure they are not a duplicate.
That makes possible 10 of the 12 produced in the F-14 or a total of possibly 24 of the orig. 25 14 foot hulls. NOW WE ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE. What are the thoughts of the 3 Cig hulls, & they not being counted by Donzi when the 13 # is stated on # made?
Great Progress & thanks to the contributers of the information.
TOM ( Just a Wantin to GO RACIN )

donzi racer
02-21-2011, 01:03 PM
tom
that is one of the 3 my friend has
im going to use it here in lake geneva this summer

If that is the Brock Yates boat, that is very COOL that someone that appreciates them got it, I will gladly bring it up for a ride/drive & a little gas $. Tom

silverghost
02-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Tom & Guys~~~
It's very hard to believe that ,with the current total survivor numbers that we now know about, coud the total number originally produced really be as small as has been always stated ?

How do you know the actual total numbers originally produced ?

From Factory records ?
From Brownie ?

Could more have originally been built than at first suspected ?

It seems to be an almost unrealistic survival rate indeed !
An almost unheard of survival rate number for any boat ~~~

Few , if any, seem to have been scrapped in over forty years !
WOW~~~

DAULEY
02-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Tom
the red baby from mich is now in fla also
thanks for the offer to bring it up i let you know when ready to cold here now and 12inches of ice

donzi racer
02-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Tom
the red baby from mich is now in fla also
thanks for the offer to bring it up i let you know when ready to cold here now and 12 inches of ice

Thanks Bob for the updates. Tom

silverghost
04-02-2011, 10:04 PM
UPDATE:
Ocean City NJ Red Baby 14

I have just been informed by a forum member Sam here that the house & garage where the red Ocean City NJ Baby 14 had been sleepng for 25+ years has been torn-down for redevelopment,
It is now just an empty lagoon waterfront lot with only a dock & boatslips out back .
1 W 18th street & Bay Ave,
Ocean City NJ 08226

A google satelite photo confirms this fact as of 4/2/11
Sam & Donzi-Racer-Tom had been trying to track it, and it's 85+ y/o owner, down for weeks ; and possibly try to purchase it.
Sam & I have no idea as to the final fate or current whereabouts of this Donzi Baby 14
. Sam just discovered from a Google satelite map & areal photos that the above lot is now empty.
MSN Maps still has the photos of this old house posted as of today~~~
These must be slightly older photos?
Sam emailed this new Google earth satelite photo findings to me yesterday.

Let's hope that someone saved this Baby 14 ?
There is now some real concern that it may have been crushed; along with it's long term storage garage & the lderly owner's cape cod style vacation house.
All this demolition debris was then hauled to a landfill.

Let's all hope this has not been it's final sad fate ?

I remember this Donzi since it's first & only owner bought it new . I was only a young kid at that time.
It was only the second Donzi I ever saw at that young age~~~
The other was a Donzi H/M 16 in the very same Ocean City NJ lagoon.

Any information about this boat's fate would be greatly appreciated by this forum's thread readers.

bertsboat
04-03-2011, 07:56 AM
donzi racer
What are the thoughts of the 3 Cig hulls, & they not being counted by Donzi when the 13 # is stated on # made.

We all know that the Donzi/CIGS were made by Don. Where they were made is important. He had enough interest to take this one and only mold everywhere he went. Maybe he couldnt get rid of it. Maybe he didnt want to get rid of it.
The RED one I have in St Augustine (Formally of Miami) was the last one out of the mold. I bought it from a guy that was working at the CIG factory right after Don tragically murdered by Cramer. It was just a hull and deck (and hatch)(last one from the mold before the mold was disposed of). I didn't build it up at that time. I sold it to a guy in Biscayne Park where it sat for over 20 years. It is close to getting wet now. Can't wait. Will post pictures
My take is that these boats are Donzi/CIG, not CIG/DONZI.
They are the only BABYS with a VIN number on the transome. Mine says 14 and Scotts says 13 (last two digits)(CRT first three)
LETS CALL THEM DONZI, THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE.

bertsboat
04-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Go down to the city permit office and see who applied for the permit to demolish that building. It is public record. Maybe there was a permit for the trash hauler that hauled the house away. They will tell you if there was anything in that garage. If that boat was in there they will tell you. I doubt that they would have tossed it out.
Just my take.
YOU MAY BE ABLE TO DO IT ONLINE !! Where I live you can search for that type of information online.

BUIZILLA
04-07-2011, 06:54 AM
there is an F14 in Pompano Beach area being slowly restored

bertsboat
04-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Donzi racer, contact me before you leave from Florida and come by. I am in St Augustine
Bert

Rob M
04-09-2011, 08:42 PM
I wonder if these boats were prone to deck rot - like the Bench Seat Hornets - given their early vintage and the likely use of balsa core? Also, are there issues with shoe box construction given the curved hull at the rear where the deck and hull are aligned?

bertsboat
04-13-2011, 06:52 PM
The deck seems to be very solid. I know for sure there is no bulsa wood in there. The deck on the boat I have was not connected to the hull. It was a un rigged hull and deck. There were issues with the fit. That may have been the hardest problem to fix. The cockpit had distorted so that had to be fixed first, Then the transom had to be shaped because none of the boat was fitted from the factory. The boat was removed from the mold along with the deck and I bought it that way from the Cigarette factory way back when and then it sat for almost 30 years.
This boat had a tree growing in it too. That had to be pruned before the stringers were cut out and replaced with CUSA (dreaded word).

bertsboat
05-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Got lucky and the prop is perfect. Planed off quick and hauled but. Only stayed out for a short time. It's Mothers day you know.

Click on the link.

http://qik.com/video/39923097

silverghost
06-16-2011, 09:18 PM
The Ocean City NJ Red Baby 14 that was in long term garage storage with it's original owner was indeed crushed , along with his house & it's storage garage.
The Baby 14 was still in the garage when it's entire contents were crushed by a house wrecking crew & carted away in large dumpsters to a landfill .
The water-front building lot is now for sale.

Scratch one Red Baby 14 from this tracking list.

Rob M
06-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Brad:
That is heartbreaking. You'd think they would check contents before crushing. Even sadder b/c it was an all original Baby 14.

bertsboat
04-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Time to update this thread. Rob and Sam both have a had a Baby in the last 6 month. They need to get a CIGAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madisonsonic
10-31-2012, 11:10 PM
I found a 14 baby in a field in Wisconsin. It had been there for 5-6 years. I offered to buy it a year ago. It is now in my garage. It is #6. The upper gearcase is locked up. I pulled the drive and was able to get the engine to turn over. I oiled the cylinders and let it soak overnight. I spun the engine over for a while with no plugs. I cleaned the points and was able to get it started on ether. Engine ran well. Have to go through fuel system and find a outdrive. It needs paint but everything is intact with the boat. It was light blue. Nice to save another baby.
Kent

Rob M
11-01-2012, 06:04 AM
Kent,

Nice work saving another Baby. We would love to see some pictures. What is the engine configuration 80 or 120 hp? Also, interested to know where you located the hull number so I can try to find one on mine.

Rob

bertsboat
11-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Hi Kent,
Can we see pictures? Does your Baby have a Renault engine? Is the engine hatch split down the middle or does it have the hump on a one piece cover. Really want the pictures!
Sam, the turbo is shipping today. The more I look at these things the more I like them!!

Madisonsonic
11-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Here are pics per your request.

Madisonsonic
11-01-2012, 11:35 PM
so in regards to the question about vin location. there is a plack on inside of engine bay starboard side transome. i attaced pic of it above.

kent

Rob M
11-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Cool boat. Looks like everything is pretty much there. Definitely no plaque on mine, will keep searching for one in marker. Best of luck with your restoration.
Rob

BUIZILLA
11-02-2012, 07:05 AM
wow, very cool

interesting windshield

bertsboat
11-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Add yet another of the original 14 made from the Baby molds. They all had the provision for the windshield. The windshield looks cool, I agree Buz. This one REALLY looks original. Even the steering wheel is original. How cool is that.73554

mattyboy
11-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Same windshield on the brochure boat. No one has found the port helm Volvo brochure boat yet have they? Almost the same windshield Don put on the early cig 19/20 he must have thought it cool too

http://www.lgdonziclassic.net/pdfs/baby14.pdf.

Nice find good luck with the project

CHACHI
11-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Does that gauge cluster say Mercriser in the bottom of it ?

Ken

VetteLT193
11-02-2012, 11:36 AM
It appears to have a merc transom assembly too... 120 drive?

bertsboat
11-02-2012, 12:05 PM
There is a small Mercruiser sticker at the bottom of the panel. Mine had a sticker but it was not in great condition. I just peeled it off.

bertsboat
11-02-2012, 12:21 PM
F-1473555

CHACHI
11-02-2012, 12:40 PM
For some reason, I think I have one of those panels sitting up at my camp.

Brock Yates of Cannonball fame had an F-14 up on the St Lawrence.

I believe it went to auction at the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton.

Ken

Madisonsonic
11-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Yes there is mercruiser on bottom of instrument cluster. I am amazed at how that has held up being outside for this time. If you would like a close up photo of cluster let me know. I am happy to share some of the details of originality to help others in the group. Mercruiser 120 outdrive. I have located a shop that has a couple pre alpha outdrives in Wisconsin where I am from. The power trim pump motor is lock up. I have to take that apart and get it free or I found used units on eBay for reasonable little money. First thing is pickup leaves in the yard. I thought the windshield is cool as well. The starboard side back corner of windshild is cracked (sucks). I may be able to shorten both sides or find someone to make new ones. Not sure. I was going to move it out of the garage and power wash it. I have only had it a couple weeks. The fact that the engine runs a bit on ether is amaising to me.
Kent

mattyboy
11-04-2012, 07:23 PM
got a serial number on the motor or drive?

love the 67 teflex slotted prop logo steering wheel

mattyboy
11-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Rob

really look at the bow eye the number may have been written on the wood backer first then it was placed and glassed in. the glass may need to be removed to see it.

good luck

SamIam
11-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Very cool!!
I can help with the mechanical stuff...

Rob M
11-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Matty,

Will check closer at the bow eye once the deck is off. Can't get up there otherwise, just too crammed under the deck. I am just deciding on who to do a full restore with - 3 quotes...pricey endeavor!

Rob

PS: anyone know someone on the site mechanically inclined and near Oakridge NJ? I need an engine eyeballed if anyone is willing and able

mattyboy
11-07-2012, 04:20 AM
Rob
I think I am not too far from oak ridge if it is in nw nj. I'll check later today and get back to you. I am not a crankshaft whisperer but can take a look and some pics too be happy to do that

mattyboy
11-07-2012, 04:43 AM
Rob
Pm me the address there seems to be 2 oak ridge nj. One by me in nw nj and one in south nj. If it is the northern one I can help. If it is the southern one one of the south jersey guys might help

Rob M
11-07-2012, 05:06 AM
MB: Awesome - PM sent.

Rob

Madisonsonic
11-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Get guys. What would top speed of baby donzi 14 be? 120hp mercruiser. I would think 45-50. Any thoughts? Thanks for the info.
Kent.

mattyboy
11-11-2012, 04:49 AM
In that ball park maybe a tad more

SamIam
11-12-2012, 06:27 PM
I had mine out this Sat. Full tank of fuel, nice chop...Just tickled 50 on the dreammeter...uhmm speedometer.
Mine has a stock 140 Mercruiser in it w/Sst Merc prop.

bertsboat
05-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi Sam,
Did you install the turbo charger yet? I am thinking about trying mine this summer.
Let me know where you at with the Baby, OK.
Bert

Morten
06-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Got one here i Denmark.

Cant seem to find out which number it is.

mattyboy
06-05-2017, 05:29 PM
this a an F14 not a baby 14 there were 34 f14 produced i doubt you will ever find a number on this boat so it is just one of the 34 built

model lists

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pages/f_14.asp

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pages/baby14.asp

click on the literature tabs that will show you factory brochures

all f14 were merc powered either 80np or 120np

bertsboat
08-28-2023, 10:21 AM
Ok here we go with a updated spreadsheet. I am going to include the Cigs since they were from the same mold. I will list them right in between the Donzi Babies & the F-14's. If the Cigs were part of the original #, which I do not believe they would be, we would be getting real close to the 13 number we have always thought there were. Here goes;

Donzi Baby 14 13 Produced

Blue 120 HP Merc yes Maine

Now 140 HP

Red 120 HP Merc? ? New Jersey Barn

Red 120 HP ? Conneticut

2 more Blues I have heard about but not sure of eng package or locations. That is 8 of the 13.

Cigarette/Donzi 14's

Red Custom 777 V-6 yes ?

Red Restored 120 hp yes ?

White w/ Lt Blue ? Yes ?

That makes 3 of these or 11 known Baby Hulls

#1 ? ?

White/Red int 80 Hp/ 3 litre now yes Augusta Georgia

? Converted OUTBOARD South Florida

White/Blue ? Lake Washinton,Seattle Washington

One that was made a mold for making other boats I recently heard about.

That makes 6 of the 12 produced in the F-14 or a total of 17 of the orig. 14 foot hulls.