PDA

View Full Version : R/C enthusiast?

DonziFreak
01-11-2008, 10:34 PM
After that V-12 model engine came up, it brought back memories of all the R/C stuff I used to play around with.....So I dug out my old R/C 1:10 Off-Road truck out from storage and spent the last couple of days rebuilding it......made me wonder if anyone else here is a R/C enthusiast?

McGary911
01-11-2008, 11:22 PM
I have a 4 wd stadium truck. Just an electric one. I bought the kit when i snapped my ankle a few years back. Always wanted one, and would be out of work for a few days, and built it up. I still run it from time to time. I also bought a nice electric boat. An aquacraft SV27 with a brushless motor. Supposedly the fastest RTR electric boat you can get these days. It runs extremely well. The hobby shop i got the boat at, was running a promotion the weekend i bought it. I turned out winning a starter RC plane. Also electric. I haven't had a chance to run it yet....or maybe i'm afraid of a crash.......who knows. :wink:

Always liked the hobby.

DonziFreak
01-12-2008, 11:49 AM
It is a fun hobby, until you have to fix something! (which is almost everytime you run a nitro stadium truck! haha!) I mess around with boats too. I actualy build my own boats from fiberglass and carbon-fiber, and I did make one out of kevlar a couple of years ago, but never finished the hull....I havn't gotten into planes yet, because I got a pretty solid fear of how much money it's gonna cost me when I crash em.........hehe.....

Last Tango
01-14-2008, 08:24 AM
My only real experience with R/C has been the pair the Donzi 28ZX boats I got from Toys 'R' Us. But they work really great in my pool and are fun to race with friends.

Carl C
01-14-2008, 08:46 AM
I have a 4WD gas truck but it would always break:smash:. Now it has been in pieces for a year and I kind of lost interest. I think a boat would be fun to play with while out anchored in the real boat. Ya gotta love the smell of nitromethane in the morning!:cool:

Fish boy
01-16-2008, 02:36 PM
After that V-12 model engine came up, it brought back memories of all the R/C stuff I used to play around with.....So I dug out my old R/C 1:10 Off-Road truck out from storage and spent the last couple of days rebuilding it......made me wonder if anyone else here is a R/C enthusiast?

I believe the RC boat nationals are this month over in orlando. Boats going close to 100mph. Should be pretty cool. There is a thread on scream and fly somewhere by a guy named tom foley (his user name too) who competes. If you are into the rc stuff, it should be pretty cool.

fish

Ed Donnelly
01-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey Fish; Nice to see you back..It's been a while........Ed

sweet 16 1966
01-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Got out the cars a couple of years ago - had a Mayhem- lots of fun but you need time for rebuilding after racing. Did it with my son who grew up. I was terrible! Expensive..

Donzi Racer
01-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I believe the RC boat nationals are this month over in orlando. Boats going close to 100mph. Should be pretty cool. There is a thread on scream and fly somewhere by a guy named tom foley (his user name too) who competes. If you are into the rc stuff, it should be pretty cool.

fish

Fish, would love any info you could forward or if there is a website to look for for the event in Orlando. Thanks, Tom mishunaire@aol.com

BlownCrewCab
01-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Tom, Check out a forum called JimsRCBoatDock (I think thats correct) anyway, everything you want to know would be there. All the countrys best are on that forum. and yeah, now they have weedeater powered boats going 100+.. My Quickdraw (gas) powered Stryker cat went mid 70s and didn't even breathe hard.

DonziFreak
01-17-2008, 07:25 AM
My father used to race these things when I was little, I learned it all from him. I know about the Nats in Orlando, my father has won many Nat tittles there and was featured in a issue of Boat Modeler sometime in 87-89, when the magazine was just gettin started. I remember being young and smelling the nitro fuel, but it never did compare to the smell of the two 500+ HP V-8 motors in the offshore boat! :biggrin:

pmreed
01-18-2008, 03:36 PM
fish
Here's the website of the host club, the Orlando Culvert Dodgers (http://www.orlandoculvertdodgers.com/news.php). It looks like the meet is about 15 minutes from my house, just north of Orlando International Airport. Here's where Expedia maps the place, Lake Richard (http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?tpid=1&eapi=0&qscr=mmvw&msds=EX01BD76D0A1$F7$18$D5$B2$F3$18$D5$B294!E0!4$F F!50!2$FF$130$35$33$39$38.Npp.Ljfym.Dnlu!6$FF70Gsn moug20IN50$33$32$38$31$32$0D0Vojypu.Fymypf!8$FF0!E $FF$EAh$A2$EB$C2z$3C$40$39U$DC$9CCYY$C0$0C0001000! 8$FF000!2$FF0000!2$FF!6i$EE$3F$14000!6$FF!80$90rM$ C65$19$B7$3F20&rfrr=-6600).
I think I'll check it out myself!
Phil

zimm17
01-19-2008, 07:51 AM
I have a 1990's era Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid Special Edition. I poured years of all my lawn mowing money into it with every aftermarket part you could get. I think it ran 35mph. I had the off-road car, a monster truck conversion, and a stock car conversion (I was the only all wheel drive stock car at the time at the local race).

Too bad I never learned about proper suspension setup and thought the springs were supposed to be setup so the car would always be topped out with max available suspension as opposed to riding with the suspension in the middle of it's travel. So it was the worst handling car ever. My first race it blew everyone out of the water until the first turn- I turned the wheels and it went straight into the wall at 35mph.

I also have a 55" Dumas wellcraft scarab RC boat with a Zenoah G26 water cooled engine and surface drive. It GPS'd 48mph at the local lake when I lived in Florida. It's out in the shed.

Donziweasel
01-19-2008, 08:45 AM
I have a Traxxas 4wd gas monster truck. Haven't used it in a few years. I also have a half way completed swamp buggy. What ever happened to the member who was building the 18 classic r/c boat?

Fish boy
01-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Hey Fish; Nice to see you back..It's been a while........Ed

thanks Ed. :)

Donzi Freak, here is the thread:
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149854

DonziFreak
01-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the link!

I built a 48" SpeedLine Custom (the name of our R/C molds) a couple of years ago out of fiberglass, completely gel-cotaed out of the mold with a Zenoah 26cc modified motor with a surface drive, Ran around 70 MPH before it blew the pipe in half! That motor has a ****LOAD of power for a R/C boat! I was real happy with it, so much so I built a 44" boat from the same mold out of kevlar, never finished that one tho.

pmreed
01-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Who's actually going to go to this and when? I've driven up to the site and the local crowd has already set up their equipment trailers on the North side of the lake. You do have to drive over a curb to get to parking. Since I'm only 15 minutes from the venue, I'll probably drop by each day and stay as long as I'm entertained. Oh yeah, and I'm retired with time on my hands:wink:

Phil

FISHIN SUCKS
01-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Interesting enough that this thread started, I am kicking around finishing a boat that I started in 1993. It's one of those kits by Dumas, the 1930 Chris Craft mahogany runabout. I actually have the hull, deck, and interior done. I still have to eurathane, paint, and put hardware on yet. If anybody knows anything about motors, radio's, servo's, etc., for this kind of boat, help would be much appreciated:yes:. The suggestions in the instructions are from 1992, so I didn't know if anyone has any reccomendations.

DonziFreak
01-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Ya, I can help ya with the suggestions!

Whatever question you may have, you can PM them to me or post them here so others can have a public refrence. I don't know everything, but I know a lot! :biggrin.:

onesubdrvr
01-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Well, since I sold the Donzis, I've had to have something to keep me sane, and I've gotten into the R/C pretty big. I've got 2 Helicopters, 4 planes and 2 cars. I'm starting to do some paint work on the side, you can see at www.clawrc.com (http://www.clawrc.com)

My main helicopter is a JR Vibe .90, (and I've got a couple of "toys" (co-axial types) for the kids) I recently sold my TRex 450 and my Raptor .50 to make room for my new heli (which was pretty expensive :doh:).

For cars, I've got an Associated RC10GT (stadium truck) and a Traxxas Nitro Rustler (another Stadium truck).

Planes, well, I've got a high wing trainer, a low wing sport plane, a mid wing aerobat, and a .90 size scale plane (A1-H Skyraider).

I used to run lots of different boats, tunnell hulls with the Nitro powered outboards, Deep V hulls with big nitro engines, and electrics, but toasted a couple of motors, so got away from them. I'll be getting a R/C boat soon (just to paint the hull and add pictures to my site), a Bonzi, 48" hull with a HIGHLY modified Zenoah gas engine.

Like I said, it keeps me busy until I'm done with school, and my youngest turns 5, at which time I can look at getting another Donzi.

As far as the electronics, for a radio, (if you don't have one yet), I STRONGLY recommend the Spektrum line of 2.4ghz radio equipment, fair price, top notch. Got any other questions, give me a shout, or post here.

Wayne

DonziFreak
01-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Wayne, I have three Associated RC10-GT's! They are the best 2WD stadium trucks on the market! I kept two of them pretty basic with O.S. .12 CV-R engines, but modified the hell out of my newest one. I dropped a O.S. .18 TZ in there after I blew a couple of other engines. Boy does it fly! I'll post a couple of pictures of it and my boats tomorrow or saturday!

And, if you're looking for great fun at a cheap price, I highly suggest investing in a Mini-T. Those things are just a handful! I love my little Mini-T just as much as my big trucks, and I got that sucker going around 40 MPH.

R/C Stuff is a lot of fun! :biggrin.:

onesubdrvr
01-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I'd thought about getting a couple of those mini T's for the kids to mess around with.

My RC10-GT has the MPI Racing .18SS - it's pretty strong, but not as fast as my Traxxas, but it handles MUCH better. I just got a new pipe for the MPI engine, we'll see if it helps.

I love the boats, but here in PSL, they have an ordinance preventing the running of Nitro boats in the ponds, and I'm just not an electric type of guy. Not sure what it says about gas, I'll wait and see when I get my new one running ;)

Can't wait to see the pics
Wayne

Wayne, I have three Associated RC10-GT's! They are the best 2WD stadium trucks on the market! I kept two of them pretty basic with O.S. .12 CV-R engines, but modified the hell out of my newest one. I dropped a O.S. .18 TZ in there after I blew a couple of other engines. Boy does it fly! I'll post a couple of pictures of it and my boats tomorrow or saturday!

And, if you're looking for great fun at a cheap price, I highly suggest investing in a Mini-T. Those things are just a handful! I love my little Mini-T just as much as my big trucks, and I got that sucker going around 40 MPH.

R/C Stuff is a lot of fun! :biggrin.:

DonziFreak
01-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Heres the boat and the Mini-T. The Mini is anything but stock, and if you look closely at the boat, you can see where I extended it a couple of inches, bringing it to 48" if I remember correctly.....

Fish boy
02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
here are a few pics from the winter nationals last weekend..

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150869&highlight=orlando

DonziFreak
02-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Those are some great pictures! Makes me want to run my boat!

onesubdrvr
04-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Been a while since any interest in this thread, so I thought I'd throw in a few pictures.

The yellow heli is mine, and the picture of the heavy-set (fat) guy holding it is me,... the Airwolf model is my buddy Todds. I don't know why he didn't let me paint it, just clear coat it,.... sheesh :wink:. Actually, it has been pretty severly crashed 3 times, and he has managed to put it together,.... maybe I should have had him do the glass work on my 18 when I had it :(

Anyay, enjoy

http://www.clawrc.com/PICT1042.JPG

http://www.clawrc.com/PICT1066.JPG

http://www.clawrc.com/PICT1067.JPG

onesubdrvr
04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey Wayne,

I've got a Aeromarine RC ZR hull that needs some paint, and pictures of the paint scheme I want on it.. We need to talk...
I'd be happy to :)

I seem to have lost your cell phone number (I have to say, keeping busy has cost me a fair amount of organization), I'll P/M you my cell #.

The Aeromarine hull is very nice! It would be alot of fun to do :)

Wayne

MOP
04-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Wayne good to see you are having a good time with the Hilo, will be even nicer to see you get wet!

Phil

onesubdrvr
04-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Wayne good to see you are having a good time with the Hilo, will be even nicer to see you get wet!

Phil
Phil,

I can't wait to get wet again either, and it'll come, I learned alot of things from my previous Donzi's that I'll carry over when I start shopping again. But, as they say good things come to those who wait, and once I finish my school, and get established in a new job, I'll start shopping again. I've got a good idea of what I want, and will take my time with it.

I hope all is well, and I do enjoy the e-mails from you, even though I don't usually reply,... but I'm back, and will be sticking around, keeping my eyes open for opportunities.

Wayne

onesubdrvr
07-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Well, just finished another paint job,.....well, I've still got to wet sand and buff out, but it came out pretty good. If you're a St. Louis Cardinals fan, you might like it ;)

Wayne

DonziFreak
08-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Anyone here ever get into the scale battleships and such? I'm going out tomorrow and buying a 1/125 scale replica of a WWII era Fletcher class destroyer I'm planning on converting to R/C

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Ship_Models/LIN00070815/product.php

onesubdrvr
08-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Anyone here ever get into the scale battleships and such? I'm going out tomorrow and buying a 1/125 scale replica of a WWII era Fletcher class destroyer I'm planning on converting to R/C

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Ship_Models/LIN00070815/product.php
:yes:

I spent some time toying with the big R/C submarines, 6-8ft in length, submersible to 10',..... and where we drove 'em, you couldn't see that deep anyway. Awesome "toys" working ballast tanks, etc. I did an Type XXI, and a 637 class. The 637 class was boring.

You'll have a blast with 'em

Wayne

DonziFreak
08-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I've always been intrested in the subs, but never really understood what it took to build, run, and maintain them....

I've built R/C race boats and cars/trucks, but this is going to be my first attempt into something "scale"....I'm just praying I don't screw anything up! :crossfing:

onesubdrvr
08-17-2008, 10:51 PM
I've always been intrested in the subs, but never really understood what it took to build, run, and maintain them....

I've built R/C race boats and cars/trucks, but this is going to be my first attempt into something "scale"....I'm just praying I don't screw anything up! :crossfing:

That one you linked to should actually be a pretty easy build, and the kits usually come pretty well detailed. Don't know how serious you want to get, but there is PLENTY of cheap literature out there so you can pick your own hull numbers, paint schemes / etc.

The subs are pretty intricate, costs about 2k, and, like an r/c helicopter or airplane, can be lost in the blink of an eye, VERY cool, but kind of boring when submerged. Coolest one I ever saw was of the Jules Verne "Nautilus" - AWESOM, the "eyes" lit up just like on the one in the movie.

I've pretty much stuck with the planes of late, easy to fly, fun, etc. Helis were fun and challenging, but too expensive (average crash was a $300.00 repair, and with over 1,000 things having to go right every flight not to crash,.....), I've got 2 trucks that I like to run around the house when I can't go out flying, and I've got a 48" V-Hull on the way that's going to be powered by a pretty big gas engine (some day, right now it's just coming to get painted). I am really enjoying the painting lately, helps my creative juices flow, and helps me "get lost" from time to time.

Post some pictures as you go, I'd be interested in it's progress :yes:

Wayne

DonziFreak
08-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Will do! Also, nice paint job on that R/C heli body, definatly well done!

onesubdrvr
08-18-2008, 06:13 AM
Will do! Also, nice paint job on that R/C heli body, definatly well done!

Thanks! I enjoy doing them, and a portion of all proceeds go to the "someday I'll have another Donzi" fund :wink:

Wayne

DonziFreak
08-18-2008, 02:39 PM
When I walked into the store and saw something that wasn't there before......

So now, instead of building the destroyer, looks like I'm building a PT boat!

Hoping to get started sometime next week, it's gonna take a while to build, and even longer to R/C it!

DonziFreak
08-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Whoops! forgot to re-format the pictures!

onesubdrvr
08-18-2008, 07:00 PM
PT Boat,..... MUCH better ;)

I built a wood PT boat, 24" length many years ago, but it sat as an empty hull until I got tired of lugging it around the country and got rid of it.

Those were awesome little boats,.... have fun, and keep us posted!

Wayne

DonziFreak
08-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Wayne, if you ever plan on building another PT boat, buy up a lindberg kit ASAP because from what I hear they JUST got discontinued......so now would be the best time to buy a kit for a future project as they are about to sky-rocket to over $100 here pretty soon....

onesubdrvr
08-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Wayne, if you ever plan on building another PT boat, buy up a lindberg kit ASAP because from what I hear they JUST got discontinued......so now would be the best time to buy a kit for a future project as they are about to sky-rocket to over $100 here pretty soon....
I'll keep it in mind,

But my next boat like that will likely be in the 6' range,.....

but first things first,...

ebay(dot)com,.... search donzi :wink:

Wayne

Madcow
08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I wanted someting I could take with me on the big boat, but I had a couple requirments;
Had to be fast (of couse)
Had to be electric (Did not want fuel in the cabin)
Had to be unique.

Here is what I came up with, An aeromarine hull with 4 water cooled electrics, 2 speed controllers, 2 Graupner drives, and 28 cels. I'm embaresed to say what I have invested in this thing, but it was a fun project, and it certanly is unique!

onesubdrvr
08-19-2008, 06:38 AM
That's NICE :yes:

Graupner makes a small line of electric outboards, casings an all, pretty sharp looking, but I'm not sure on performance, my only point with this statement is that graupner makes some nice stuff.

I bet that is a lot of fun, any ideas on the speeds?

What size are the motors? rpm/v?

Wayne

Jraysray
08-22-2008, 02:58 PM
That's NICE :yes:

Graupner makes a small line of electric outboards, casings an all, pretty sharp looking, but I'm not sure on performance, my only point with this statement is that graupner makes some nice stuff.

I bet that is a lot of fun, any ideas on the speeds?

What size are the motors? rpm/v?

Wayne

Wayne,
I was at that field watching guys fly about 5 months ago. My brother lives there. Ever see a fat red head guy about 6'5" lurking around? If you do RUN! Kidding, he and his son like to watch you guys fly. Too funny.

MOP
08-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Some nice electric motors, a far cry from the ones I had in a PT back in 1952. It was balsa and would barely make plane but it looked pretty cool, spent an entire winter putting it together.

onesubdrvr
08-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Wayne,
I was at that field watching guys fly about 5 months ago. My brother lives there. Ever see a fat red head guy about 6'5" lurking around? If you do RUN! Kidding, he and his son like to watch you guys fly. Too funny.
Hey,

We're (r/c guys) are like us (donzi guys), come on, watch us, have some fun, shoot the breeze,...... it's all in fun. An oh yea,... I'll keep my eyes open ;)

Wayne

onesubdrvr
08-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Some nice electric motors, a far cry from the ones I had in a PT back in 1952. It was balsa and would barely make plane but it looked pretty cool, spent an entire winter putting it together.
Phil,

I've been in R/C for as long as I can remember, and the electric stuff now is AMAZING. Who would have thought that there would be efficient electric motor to replace the two stroke nitro power houses (.91 ci, 3.7hp!!) but they do it,.... big downfall right now is batteries. a 5 cell LiPo pack 3600mah is about $275.00 - name brand, good quality battery, and they take an hour to charge, so for a day of flying, you need at least 3 sets of batteries.

Wayne