PDA

View Full Version : Re-Install XP??

DonziJon
01-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Anybody ever done it? I had a problem with Un-Installing, Cleaning out, and Re-Installing a Video Driver. MY BAD. Result: REALLY BIG CRASH.. Very Important files missing from XP: Can't Re-Boot: Needed to Re-install XP.

I'm no geek, and I know my limitations: SO: I Hired one. I got the computer back today. It Does Run. But it ain't pretty... There's nothing left.
Under "All Programs": There used to be three full columns..full page height. Now there is ONE Column...maybe 1/5 height.

Now I'm retrieving programs I never new I needed..from wherever I can find them and Re-Installing them...ONE by ONE. Printer, Digital Camera, Joystick, Flight Simulator, Office Small Business, Word, Excel, Adobe, Yada Yada.l

I had asked the guy to Re-Connect me with My MSN 9 Dial Up. So... he connected me with "MSN". Not "MSN 9 Dial Up." The good news is I can get on..and come here. MS 9 Dial Up is a really big file to download ...On a Dial Up. I think it's 140Mb+. I made a phone call today, and a CD is comimg for MSN 9 Dial Up in about a week. :wink:

I got a long way to go....and a not so good atitude toward this particular GEEK.

Then again: If I didn't have this to deal with..what else would I have to do as a retiree. :confused:
John

Trueser
01-11-2008, 10:37 PM
See if you can do a system restore to a date before the mixup. If that is not available then format the drive before you install. Another problem is hard drive life span is no longer than 3 years. Unless you don'y care about the data. Anyway it may be time for a new desktop.

good luck.

email me or PM if you need help.

LKSD
01-12-2008, 09:24 AM
I too have a machine that it looks like I will be flattening, unless I just buy a new pc for one of my offices.. I hate doing it.. The reinstall usually goes quick.. It is loading everything else on that is a PITA... :(

BTW, Trueser, What do you mean a hard drive only lasts about 3 years?? I usually do buy 1 new machine every 2-3 years & scrap the oldest.. But I have a few that have been running for over 5.. Maybe I am just lucky, although I do back up all of my stuff to 2 large remote usb back up drives in addittion to what the computers use..

:) Jamie

Trueser
01-12-2008, 11:41 AM
JW,
Depends on the drive! Western digital are junk Seagate will last longer. It also depends how they are used and if they are left on all the time. External back up drives are the way to go.
I just wouldnt trust a machine over 3 years with my Data.

mikev
01-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Being in IT I see this all the time, I do consulting for alot of people on the side as well. To reload XP the right way you wipe everything out and reinstall. XP does not come with all your other programs you need to have the orginal install disks always save the CD's, and it doesnt have any of your data. To be honest anyone can do this very easly and save the money. Always always back up you data. This is real easy in xp just go to programs accessories folder, system tools and choose backup it does it for you. but just be sure and save this backup file somewhere other than your c: drive. once you do that put the xp cd in reinstall it then reinstall all your programs from the cd's you saved when you bought them. then last but not least choose restore form same folder as you did you backup from and your good as new.

f_inscreenname
01-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Ya, XP is the best of the MR Softy operating programs but.... That's way I bought a external hard drive. I keep all the good stuff on there and sometimes on both hard drives.
One time I fought with a errors for 3 days. I took it as a challenge to see if I could fix it. Bought programs and used everything I could find.. As more and more became corrupt on the H/D I knew I failed. Dumped the whole thing and started over. Took about 2 hours, cost about $250 less and I had everything I needed back up and running. I figure if I can keep my pictures and stuff then it’s like doing a motor rebuild that’s needed every now and then. Dump it and start over fresh. I have gotten so good at it that when things come up my first thought is to dump it and start again.
Another thing is that “go back” feature. If it is a Operating System error it don’t work.
PS
Then there is MSN Explorer, watch your ass with that one. I used it for years with Verizon’s DSL (it came free with the service). When we moved a couple months ago DSL was not available here so we went to cable. No more free MSN and I wasn’t paying another 20 bucks a month for it. Then I found out it keeps your stuff. Ie; Favorites and address book. Takes a lot of work to get these things to import to Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and MSN is no help. All is after market stuff and hack’s. Some work and some don’t. If you cancel you account before you get these things out……good luck.:hangum:

DonziJon
01-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys. The best news here is that my Hired Geek missed the chance to UPGRADE me to "IE7". I've been there and it wasn't fun. That was about a year ago. I'm still on IE6. GOOD

I'm working on it, and learning as I go. John