PDA

View Full Version : Comments on 22ZX Scorpion 377

SMLAKER
01-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Hello folks. I'm back after 5 or 6 years off the water when I sold my 1960's 18 2+3 Barrelback. I'm looking at a 2001 22ZX w/377 Scorp w/120 hours. Bennett Tabs, Bravo-1 and 4 blade SS prop. Very clean and professionally maintained for $27K. Most research indicates this is a smooth rider but slow out of the hole. The stepped hull could get away from me on a turn and the 92+ octane requirement are some negatives I've found. Would appreciate any input ya'll may have regarding performance, maintenance, problems, recalls, etc. I'm aware of the coupler alignment issue some have had, the water ingestion via exhaust problem, the seat and cleat issues. Anything else? I plan to use this on a deepwater lake with heavy chop. I've read articles about ski performance but there is no tow cleat. I know it's not a water-sport boat.
Thanks,
Bruce

chappy
01-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the board. I looked at that boat last month when I was in Richmond, very nice ride. Can't say much about the performance. A buddy of mine has one with a 350 mpi in it. He says it's all about seat time, the more you run it, the more you learn what it can and can't do.

SMLAKER
01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the board. I looked at that boat last month when I was in Richmond, very nice ride. Can't say much about the performance. A buddy of mine has one with a 350 mpi in it. He says it's all about seat time, the more you run it, the more you learn what it can and can't do.

Yep, that's the one. I'm flip-flopping between the 377 Scorp and 454 Merc. Seems the BBC would be easier to expand/modify but would eat more gas.

BUIZILLA
01-10-2008, 03:47 PM
is this a bowrider with a Scorp???

roadtrip se
01-10-2008, 04:56 PM
We bought an 18 with it last summer and it is the smoothest running performance boat engine I have encountered.

Strange at first, because I was used to the 500 in our bigger boat. It simply doesn't have a edge anywhere through the power curve all the way to the top.

Premium gas isn't a big deal in a boat this size, you are talking five to ten bucks on a fill-up, maybe.

The Scorpion should have a bravo drive, which you probably won't get with a 350 combo. Can't speak for the 454, but I would think the 22ZX would fly better with the lighter weight of the SBC.

chappy
01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
is this a bowrider with a Scorp???
Not a bowrider Buiz, it's this one....
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/1/8/91237018.htm