PDA

View Full Version : Drive colors.....

gcarter
01-06-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm kicking around some accent colors for the Testa Rossa.
My question though is about drive colors. Are we, as a group so "stuck in the mud" about drive colors that the only thing possible in good taste is BLACK or WHITE??????
You see multi-hued drives on race boats matching the boat color scheme, so why not on our boats?
I have to refinish the Bravo completely anyway, so why not do something that corresponds to the accent colors of the boat?
Open up!
Give me your thoughts.

The Hedgehog
01-06-2008, 06:07 PM
In some situations I have seen painted drives that looked great. I saw a red and white boat (mostly white) with red drives that looked really cool.

olredalert
01-06-2008, 06:19 PM
------Save money and time and paint everything red.........Bill S

Donzigo
01-06-2008, 06:57 PM
BLACK for sure...............

RedDog
01-06-2008, 08:03 PM
The finish on the lower of my bravo I was poor so I had it bead blasted. Since I have just keep it the natural AL finish and like it a lot.

Trueser
01-06-2008, 08:17 PM
George,
One vote for Black the other for you lost your mind!

Black top Gray bottom?

BUIZILLA
01-06-2008, 08:48 PM
red top

anthracite lower

MOP
01-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Flip a coin George!!! Original black looks fine but so does a good color match, an old adage is the guy that does the job gets to do it his way!

Lenny
01-06-2008, 09:11 PM
There only IS one colour. BLACK. :)

Henry Ford figured that out a hundred years ago... geesh :rolleyes:

The Hedgehog
01-06-2008, 10:35 PM
red top
anthracite lower

I think that would look good

yeller
01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I've always thought a polished drive would look great. Not just the lower, but the whole thing, then powder coat clear. :pimp:

osur866
01-07-2008, 04:14 AM
Red top satin lower is my vote. Steve

Tidbart
01-07-2008, 06:35 AM
George,
Do it your way. Black is kind of boring. If nothing else, it would make people stop, stare, and give their opinion.:eek!:

B

waxman
01-07-2008, 07:03 AM
once you go black. you'll never go back.

LKSD
01-07-2008, 07:32 AM
I prefer black as well, however I think the right color on top could look good too if done right & tastefully.. I also think that the lower done in a mettalic silver or satin metal finish would look cool with what ever color.. :) jamie

glashole
01-07-2008, 08:49 AM
chrome or something polished to shine :wink:

MOP
01-07-2008, 11:16 AM
chrome or something polished to shine :wink:

There was a discussion up on OSO awhile back about polished "vs" satin. Hydrodynamicly satin is suppose to be faster as the unpolished surface breaks the stiction layer.

Phil

roadtrip se
01-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I voted for black. The painted drive thingy is a little 80-ish. You see a lot of old Cigs and Apaches with painted drives, some even with pin striping. I'll never forget seeing lipstick pink painted six drives on a 41 Apache on a 188th street brokerage lot a few years ago. It was painfully ugly. Dated looking and you don't see this on go-fasts of today very often. Merc is black.

As for the satin-finish lower. It is a pain in the arse, to keep looking good. The secret I learned from a buddy is a brillo-pad and some WD-40. I do this just about every time I run the boat or the metal chalks up. I tried the clear coat avenue too, and it didn't last very long before looking bad.

Have fun at it.

gcarter
01-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Probably if I were to go w/a polished metal color, I'd accomplish it w/paint. Maintenance would be a lot easier.

But what really amazes me is that almost 21% of you think I've lost my mind.:eek!:

yeller
01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
There was a discussion up on OSO awhile back about polished "vs" satin. Hydrodynamicly satin is suppose to be faster as the unpolished surface breaks the stiction layer.
PhilI knew this comment would come up. :wink: The same thing is supposed to be true for props. You are right MOP, but a polished drive wouldn't be any slower than a painted one. I also prefer the look of a polished prop. Sometimes bling is better than speed IMO. :)

yeller
01-07-2008, 01:19 PM
But what really amazes me is that almost 21% of you think I've lost my mind.:eek!: I don't think you've lost your mind.....I know you have.....the minute you sold your minx. :wink::biggrin.:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-10-2008, 10:31 AM
I vote BLING and more BLING! I think color matched drives are awesome! Pretty common on high end boats.

Maybe some day when my two blow up they will go back on Blue or Red. Although if I screw two up at once I won't have money for paint!

Black Wins for me....

Bryan

VetteLT193
01-10-2008, 10:31 AM
I knew this comment would come up. :wink: The same thing is supposed to be true for props. You are right MOP, but a polished drive wouldn't be any slower than a painted one. I also prefer the look of a polished prop. Sometimes bling is better than speed IMO. :)

I thought labbed props were always shiny?

SilverBack
01-14-2008, 09:04 AM
I like these color matched drives on this Donzi ZR.

LKSD
01-14-2008, 10:12 AM
I like these color matched drives on this Donzi ZR.

Stang, they may match & look good but that is not a merc drive.. They are the Imco extremes & that is the stock color.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

yeller
01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
I thought labbed props were always shiny?Everyone I've seen has been, but I read posts by Brett of BBlades that he doesn't polish his. One, because it'll be a tad quicker and two, because he believes some prop shops polish the prop to hide flaws.

I like the look of those silver drives as well......more than black or white

The Hedgehog
01-16-2008, 05:02 AM
I think that these look cool. I have seen a number of custom colors that look great.

I will stick with black on my shiny new XR upper but then my boat is white, black and red. I will however probably stick some big red dana tabs on the back. Unless I happen to find a great deal on some K-planes:crossfing:

LKSD
01-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Everyone I've seen has been, but I read posts by Brett of BBlades that he doesn't polish his. One, because it'll be a tad quicker and two, because he believes some prop shops polish the prop to hide flaws.
I like the look of those silver drives as well......more than black or white

JMO, but I would rather recommend Julie @ throttle up... For many reasons.. ;)

Carl C
01-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I thought labbed props were always shiny? Nope. Mercury Racing ones are satin. George, chalk up one more vote for "you've lost your mind". Just kidding, hey you're the one who put that option in there! I would think on this particular boat I would go for a stock resto job. Unless you're going to hot-rod it then go for black upper and gray primer lower. (assuming it's a merc):alligator

VetteLT193
01-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Nope. Mercury Racing ones are satin. George, chalk up one more vote for "you've lost your mind". Just kidding, hey you're the one who put that option in there! I would think on this particular boat I would go for a stock resto job. Unless you're going to hot-rod it then go for black upper and gray primer lower. (assuming it's a merc):alligator

cool, thanks for the info:) I've always been scared to order a labbed prop. I just know I'd hit something 10 minutes into the first trip:smash:

The Hedgehog
01-31-2008, 11:21 AM
cool, thanks for the info:) I've always been scared to order a labbed prop. I just know I'd hit something 10 minutes into the first trip:smash:

That is right about the Mercury racing props. Throttle-up polishes their lab finished props. They do have a satin like finish around the leading edge. Bblades does satin as well.

And yes, you will hit something within a few trips after purchasing one:eek:

gcarter
01-31-2008, 02:06 PM
They do often bend rather than break though.

osur866
02-01-2008, 04:06 AM
would be Murphy's Law :bonk:

Madcow
02-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I agree! She has labed 3 sets of props for me, every time they are satin every time they have been perfect. I just bought a set of labed P5Xs for my Sonic. called Julie for a price, she imidiatly told me to call Hydromotive, because they would be cheaper. A lot of people wopuld have just sold me the props, and been happy to have the sale. I thought it was very classy for Julie to look out for me instead of herself. Thats just one of the reasons I always recomend her.

yeller
02-02-2008, 01:22 AM
... called Julie for a price, she imidiatly told me to call Hydromotive, because they would be cheaper. A lot of people wopuld have just sold me the props, and been happy to have the sale. I thought it was very classy for Julie to look out for me instead of herself. Thats just one of the reasons I always recomend her.I hate to add more to this derailment of the thread, but for anyone else thinking of dealing with Hydromotive directly..........DON'T. I made that mistake. I'd gladly pay extra and deal with Julie than with the idiots at Hydro.

Cuda
02-02-2008, 06:27 AM
I second that.

Cuda
02-02-2008, 06:29 AM
I say stay with black. For some reason, any other colored drive, makes me think the drive itself has been cobbled up by a shade tree mechanic.

LKSD
02-02-2008, 08:31 AM
I hate to add more to this derailment of the thread, but for anyone else thinking of dealing with Hydromotive directly..........DON'T. I made that mistake. I'd gladly pay extra and deal with Julie than with the idiots at Hydro.

I spoke with him before briefly about on boat and got a weird vibe. That is why I always like Julie...(also we are friends). I agree with you yeller and see where your statement would come from. Jamie

gcarter
02-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I say stay with black. For some reason, any other colored drive, makes me think the drive itself has been cobbled up by a shade tree mechanic.
It would all be done inside the shop.....:wink::wink: