PDA

View Full Version : a rave about toughtbooks

Formula Jr
01-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I throw this thing in my car. I do, I just throw it in the passenger seat. I don't even care if it lands right.

You can't kill these things.

I've killed six laptops before. I'm just bad about that. I spill stuff. I drop stuff. These work. I took mine apart just to see how it was designed. Wow! They thought about this. It guides spills out of the keyboard. This thing is cool. It even has an encryption system that I can't break. A nation state can't break it. I don't have to be worried about it being stolen. You can't even take the drive out and find stuff. The Drive, THE DRIVE protects itself, it even has a self-destruct. Way cool.
It will not even let you reformat the drive to reuse it. They thought this through. Give the enemy nothing.

Mil-spec laptops are the way to go.

Trueser
01-04-2008, 07:52 AM
I agree they cost more but worth it in the long run.

Lenny
01-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Owen, we use these in our job everyday, about 11,000 of us have em. They are "tools" and used as such.

No, you cant break 'em. Bring on the rain, whatever. (Salt I have never tried :D )

They are GOOD.

zimm17
01-06-2008, 07:39 AM
They navy aircraft mechanics use them. The rule is you had to have the "repair manual" with you when doing a job on the aircraft- well they went to electronic documents and started issuing toughbooks. They sit out there in the salt spray, rain, etc, get dropped and keep on ticking.

I switched to apple's so I have the apple care insurance in case I break it, but it's no toughbook. Although lots of laptops now have spill proof keyboards and auto-locking hard drives that sense a freefall and save themselves.