PDA

View Full Version : Big-D gets a new windsheild

Donzigo
01-03-2008, 04:45 AM
I took the 20 year old windsheild off of Big-D (1989 Z-33) last weekend and took it up to a place here in St. Petersburg to have a new one made. FYI - the windsheild off of the Z-33 requires a 4 x 10 sheet of plexiglass which is larger than the usual 4 x 8 size. They had four colors; but, said due to the 10' length I might have to take any of the four shades of grey and bronze, to what might be available close by in Florida as opposed to say shipping it in from anywhere in the US. This facility has a baking oven, which is required to make the large curved windsheild. It's interesting to note that the original 20 year old material is thinner than the 1/4 standard windshields they normally make.
Price - $523 for labor and $130 for the material - $653 + tax.
American Plastic Supply Manufacturing Inc.
4231 112th Terrace North
Clearwater, Florida
727-573-0636
Stay tuned and I will be posting the pictures of the new windsheild when it is ready next week as well as the installation. I was amazed at how easy the old one came off and now I wonder why I waited 6 years to tackle this job. When the new one is installed, I will be able to officially saw that Big-D is totally done. It's been a 7 year labor of love whereby I have replaced everything on this boat with the exception of the firberglass itself. It will be a NEW 1989 Z-33.
I took George carter and Elaine out recently and it was a thrill to see Elaine driving Big-D at WFO with the new 496HO engine packages purring. She jumped a couple of waves and launched that bad boy too. Yeah, George has a fireball on his hands with that one ................ahhhh move over George, she can do the driving.

Cuda
01-03-2008, 06:14 AM
I need to get over and check it out the next time I'm in St Pete.

Donzigo
01-03-2008, 06:37 AM
It's a nice family owned business. They are great to do business with. If anyone needs a Z-33 windsheild to be made, this would be a good time to get it done because my original can be used as a blueprint while it is there.

VetteLT193
01-03-2008, 06:50 AM
It looks really similar to my Minx shield. Are they putting the shield back in the frame for you? If not, what are you going to do for that black seal that runs the windshield frame?

gcarter
01-03-2008, 07:56 AM
BIG-D never did stand for DOG, but it sure doesn't now.
This boat used to top out at about 60 MPH.
With the new engines, watch out big block 22's!!!!!!:eek!:
This sucker is fast.
A hint, it easily tops 70!!!:smash:
Not bad for a non stepped 33.:wink:

Donzigo
01-03-2008, 08:52 AM
They do not put the windsheild back in the frame. I do that. It's quite bend-a-ble.

There's a problem ............. they can't find the 4 x 10 sheet of plexiglass in Florida. It has to come from Pennsylvannia at a cost of $277 for material and $180 for shipping.

DOESD ANYBODY HAVE A SOURCE FOR 3/16 SMOKED OR BRONZED PLEXIGLASS in 4' x 10' SIZE?

If so , call Donzigo - Richard at 727-867-7020

The Hedgehog
01-05-2008, 11:17 AM
BIG-D never did stand for DOG, but it sure doesn't now.
This boat used to top out at about 60 MPH.
With the new engines, watch out big block 22's!!!!!!:eek!:
This sucker is fast.
A hint, it easily tops 70!!!:smash:
Not bad for a non stepped 33.:wink:

You really breaking 70 with the new mag HO's? That is pretty good. I was wondering what that boat was running now.

Donzigo
01-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Yes, I think we are breaking 70. The boat used to be quite heavy and I took the entire inside out and made the boat into a day boat with two bendch seats, etc. Look at my thread showing that work. It's a lighter boat now.

FYI, the new engines get about twice the fuel economy, if my calculations are right,.

The Hedgehog
01-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Yes, I think we are breaking 70. The boat used to be quite heavy and I took the entire inside out and made the boat into a day boat with two bendch seats, etc. Look at my thread showing that work. It's a lighter boat now.
FYI, the new engines get about twice the fuel economy, if my calculations are right,.

I saw that. That was a good idea. A guy up in Michigan did the same. You both have some very nice Z-33's Good work.

Did you weigh the difference in losing all that stuff from the interior?

Donzigo
01-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I think the interior change lost about 1,000 lbs and I don't know how much difference the 454s are from the 496HOs. Maybe someone else does.