PDA

View Full Version : Any info on this '98 22 Classic in NJ?

mjw930
12-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Just calling on the collective knowledge to see if anyone knows the history of this boat.

http://www.aquariusys.com/core/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=broker&boat_id=1750068&ybw=&hosturl=aquarius&&ywo=aquarius&&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=73371&url=&hosturl=aquarius&&ywo=aquarius&

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/7/5/0/0/1750068_2.jpg?1199029073304

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/7/5/0/0/1750068_3.jpg?1199029102929

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/7/5/0/0/1750068_4.jpg?1199029123688

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/7/5/0/0/1750068_5.jpg?1199029143991

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/7/5/0/0/1750068_6.jpg?1199029161923

mjw930
12-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Wow, 25 looks and no one knows the boat...... :wink:

Lenny
12-30-2007, 04:19 PM
... :( ... I looked twice... :(

:D :D :D

Ya know, what is that "thing" on the port transom? And I see the trim pump resevoir but where are the tabs?

yeller
12-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Ya know, what is that "thing" on the port transom? And I see the trim pump resevoir but where are the tabs?On my screen, it looks as if he as tabs with blue rams??

FWIW mjw930, if you could get the price down a few g's, I much prefer this one over the 86 you're looking at.

mjw930
12-30-2007, 04:36 PM

Ya know, what is that "thing" on the port transom? And I see the trim pump resevoir but where are the tabs?

I'm pretty sure it's a mount for a removable boarding ladder, something I would add to which ever 22 I end up with. I'm getting too old to try and climb up over the gunwale :D

We have a couple of party coves (lost island on the Intercoastal and "The Glen" on Lake George) and when it's 90+ outside you need to get into the water to cool down.

http://www.garelick.com/images/products/19833.jpg

mjw930
12-30-2007, 04:41 PM
On my screen, it looks as if he as tabs with blue rams??

FWIW mjw930, if you could get the price down a few g's, I much prefer this one over the 86 you're looking at.

I'm with you on that. Considering I'll be close to $25K on the '86 after trailer and tax I'm inclined to go another couple grand for a much newer boat.

Of course, this motor is probably tired compared to the '86 and it's been run in salt / brackish water.

I don't know what service he's had done and I'm sure it's needed something over the course of the last 9 years.. I've run in salt all my life and with the proper care I get as much life as fresh water people, it just takes more work (and lots of salt-away :D)

Oh, and the MPI version is much cheaper and easier to supercharge than the carb version :hyper:

BUIZILLA
12-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Oh, and the MPI version is much cheaper and easier to supercharge than the carb version :hyper: 310hp
peanut ports
cast crank

.....kabooom

mjw930
12-30-2007, 04:44 PM
It also has Capitan's Choice and through transom mufflers. That's about $1500 worth of extras that I like on this type of boat.

mjw930
12-30-2007, 04:47 PM
310hp
peanut ports
cast crank

.....kabooom

That's debatable with the 5# pro-charger system. Besides, sometimes a "kabooom" is simply an excuse to build a proper motor :cool:

"Honey, I need to rebuild the motor so we can go boating this weekend" vs. "Honey, I need to spend $10K so we can go faster"........ There is a method to my madness.

yeller
12-30-2007, 07:19 PM
That's debatable with the 5# pro-charger system. Besides, sometimes a "kabooom" is simply an excuse to build a proper motor :cool:

"Honey, I need to rebuild the motor so we can go boating this weekend" vs. "Honey, I need to spend $10K so we can go faster"........ There is a method to my madness.The kaboom will usually be because it drops a valve. I'd at least upgrade the valves if you're going to SC.

As far as the salt water, if you can't see obvious signs of salt use, I wouldn't worry about. It takes a good washing after every run to keep the 'noticables' free of corrosion, so if you don't notice much, you could feel fairly safe that the owner flushed it after every run as well. That's all it takes to keep a salt water boat in as good condition as a fresh water boat....but you know that.

If you like the boat, and it's as good as the pics show, I'd offer 23~24. Not saying that's all it's worth, just what I'd offer.
1st decide how quickly you want one. If you don't care if you get one now or a year from now, keep looking and a great deal will show up, it always does....you just don't know when.

mjw930
12-30-2007, 07:29 PM
The kaboom will usually be because it drops a valve. I'd at least upgrade the valves if you're going to SC.

As far as the salt water, if you can't see obvious signs of salt use, I wouldn't worry about. It takes a good washing after every run to keep the 'noticables' free of corrosion, so if you don't notice much, you could feel fairly safe that the owner flushed it after every run as well. That's all it takes to keep a salt water boat in as good condition as a fresh water boat....but you know that.

If you like the boat, and it's as good as the pics show, I'd offer 23~24. Not saying that's all it's worth, just what I'd offer.
1st decide how quickly you want one. If you don't care if you get one now or a year from now, keep looking and a great deal will show up, it always does....you just don't know when.

I was just joking about the SC on the stock, tired motor. I would freshen it before I subjected it to that kind of abuse.

That was the range I was thinking. The down side, it's the middle of winter in NJ so the boat may be sealed up in shrink wrap and a sea trial is definitely out of the question.....

On the up side, it's the middle of winter and he probably isn't getting a lot of bites. He may be paying storage as well as other expenses so you never know.

I have an old boat racing friend up the road in Monmouth Beach that can take a closer look and check out the motor. I'll let a surveyor do the rest.

I'm not in a huge hurry but since we boat 12 months of the year here every weekend without a boat just means more miles on the V-Rod :D

smokediver
12-30-2007, 08:36 PM
that boat has been on the market since at least june !!!!

mjw930
12-30-2007, 08:48 PM
that boat has been on the market since at least june !!!!

Then I guess that means he won't come of his price or there's something wrong with it.

mjw930
12-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Bottom paint??

That would suck! (and kill the deal for me)

yeller
12-31-2007, 01:20 AM
Yes, I can see how it looks like it could have bottom paint. MadPoodle, doesn't it look like blue rams (under the exhaust tips).

Pismo
12-31-2007, 06:39 AM
I like the 1988ish 13' Whaler next to it...........

mjw930
12-31-2007, 07:39 AM
The blue rams is what really makes me think it's been bottom painted. Just about the right Trinidad Royal Blue color :) :)

Bottom paint is not the end all BTW. Depending upon the surface prep done to it, it is removable. The amount of work is not for the faint of heart, but it "might" make a good bargaining chip. I assume this one needs a trailer also??

I have seen many trim tabs develop a white haze if they are left exposed to direct sunlight but these look to be very white (or blue).

If it has bottom paint that means he leaves it in the water for long intervals over the summer. That leads to lots of other issues that I simply do not want to deal with at any price. This is a toy I want to use, not a project I'm looking to undertake.

BTW, it has a trailer so it's odd that it would be painted a well.

I'll be giving the broker a call in a bit so I should have more answers soon.

VetteLT193
12-31-2007, 08:24 AM
I must missed the trailer in the ad. Left in water, well is it fresh or salt? Huge difference IMO..
Pismo, I saw that also. I am on the prowl for an old 11' Whaler, damn near impossible to find though...

Brick NJ == Salt water.

I have no problem with any boat run in salt water, but an I/O boat sitting in salt is nightmare.

mjw930
12-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Brick NJ == Salt water.

I have no problem with any boat run in salt water, but an I/O boat sitting in salt is nightmare.

I agree, Brick = Salt or at least brackish water.

Running a boat in salt water and leaving a boat in salt water are 2 entirely different things. I have no problem with a boat run in salt, especially one that is designed to be.

IMHO any trailerable or liftable boat that is left in the water for extended periods of time is a problem for me. If you paint the bottom then you ruin the boat for those of us who don't leave boats in. If you don't paint the bottom you WILL end up with blisters and other issues that will ruin a hull, especially if it's a cored hull.

I called the broker and surprise, no one answers. It's the slow season up there so they probably made it a long weekend.

CHACHI
12-31-2007, 09:27 AM
Decals have been changed on the hullsides. Dock rash or a possible re paint/gel?
Ken

BigGrizzly
12-31-2007, 09:40 AM
I know exactly where the boat is. He is tied up at the Kings Grant for lunch The water is mostly brackish The salt content is low so is the temperature, Corrosion would be minimal if taken care of.

Lenny
12-31-2007, 10:38 AM
I am on the prowl for an old 11' Whaler, damn near impossible to find though...

MANY here, many many many... You want a sport? You want the blue interior (gel) ,...very old, or the tan/off-white?

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/3798188&category=power-boats

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/520828321.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/522628442.html

...and this one down by Owen, http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/boa/519691022.html

AND, this one just North of you. :) http://fortlauderdale.craigslist.org/boa/517783129.html

and about a hundred more :D

mjw930
12-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Ok, got off the phone with the broker and here's what he knows about the boat.

It's the second owner, he uses it as a second boat when he's on his motor yacht. It's stored in Brigantine and his motor yacht is docked at Trump marina in AC.

The bottom is painted but supposedly it's only rolled on over the gelcoat. The gelcoat was not roughed up nor was there a barrier coat applied. He has this done because he leaves it in the water for a week or two when he's down on his big boat. The broker says it should power wash or strip right off and with some compound the gelcoat should be fine, I don't know if I'm buying that 100%.

It has ~300 hours on it and was regularly serviced. The blue top stripe has been Awlgrip'd since it was fading, that also explains the white tab rams. The boat spends 90% of it's life on a trailer at his home in Brigantine.

Now, here's my quandary. Considering this boat and the likelyhood that it can be bought for about $25K and the black one in THIS (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51461) thread that can probably be bought with a new trailer 1 or 2 grand less which one is the better buy in the long run.

Points I'm considering:

The '86 has 395 hour total on the boat, 50 hours on the drive train which was new in '87 and it's been well maintained

The '98 has ~ 300 hours on the boat and drive train and has also been well maintained.

The '86 has been completely Awlgrip'd so it should not fade or have any finish issues for a very long time.

The '98 is an MPI motor which can make it more difficult to hot rod.

The '98 is 1200 miles away and cannot be properly sea trialled and the bottom paint is an unknown.

The '86 is a fresh water boat.

Hmm, decisions decisions.......

Ok, here's another question for the masses; is there any significant or systematic differences between a 22 built in '86 and one in '98 or are they typically both well built?

chappy
01-01-2008, 03:27 PM
As far as differences, you could always do a search on chopper guns.:nilly:

mjw930
01-01-2008, 05:21 PM
As far as differences, you could always do a search on chopper guns.:nilly:

I did that search and it didn't really point anything out. I guess there's no definitive database of differences between the model years / company owners.

Based on what I've read the boats from the OMC era are probably the ones to be leery of (please, no insult intended so don't flame me).

This boat is off my short list, too many unknowns and too far away.

Thanks for all the comments and info

mjw930
01-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Easy on the OMC era.. My 92, built at Chris Craft, was the finest built hull I have seen yet...

I'm sure it is :wink:

mjw930
01-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Maybe I should clarify that for you??

The finest 22 Classic hull I have seen yet..

Does that help ya?? ;) ;)

Yep, that makes things perfectly clear :wink:

I'm just poking fun, the reality is I think most of the layups are pretty similar from the mid '80's up until maybe the last few years. No one has really put forward any proof that one year or group of years is "better" than another so I'm thinking it comes down to a boat by boat evaluation.

That being the case, I hope I find one that's close you yours.... :D