PDA

View Full Version : sweet 16' vdrive 540hp 601flb

bdog_402
12-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Does any body know how to get a classic 16' past 72mph ive got a nasty big block and a 12%over drive casale vdrive and dont know what prop to run. Three ?? two??? blade??? WHAT WILL MAKE MINE THE MOST STABLE I WANNA HIT 80MPH

gcarter
12-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Ed Donnely had a twin turbo 16 that ran in exess of 100 MPH. Not your average boat though.

Lenny
12-30-2007, 09:58 AM
I think your biggest drawback is the V-drive. Without the ability to trim the drive it makes it pretty much impossible to air out that wetted hull. Jamie saw about 80 I beieve, but that was with a small block, 400 horse and an Alpha SS drive on it.
600 foot pounds in a 16 would send you to the moon if it were on an I/O.

Ed also had a pad and a Volvo Speedmaster drive on his.

???

McGary911
12-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Vdrives sap a lot of power too. You also have a very rare boat with that vdrive config. Not a lot of prop data to draw on. Your best bet is to find a good prop shop to work with to see what suits your boat the best. Is your hull just like any other 16? any extra rocker to carry the bow a bit more?

Lenny
12-30-2007, 10:50 AM
You also have a very rare boat with that vdrive config.

There are a few V-drive 16's around as that is what people did once they blew up their I/O drives. They glassed in the transom and added the Casale. With, (what I have been led to believe by a fuzzy one) about 7 V-drive 16's ever made, I doubt it is an original. There was also a mold or two kicking around that produced a few knock-offs.

So, what year is the 16? and do you have a hull number for it?

BigGrizzly
12-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Slower than stock outdrives and not fun to drive. Been there and done that and don't want the shirt just new underwear.

yeller
12-30-2007, 03:54 PM
You also have a very rare boat with that vdrive config.

There are a few V-drive 16's around as that is what people did once they blew up their I/O drives......There was also a mold or two kicking around that produced a few knock-offs.If you notice, he is from BC. I know of 4 molds for the 16 in BC. I have seen several 16's around here but only one real one, so it's probably a knock-off (as mine was). Same as the real thing though, as the molds were popped off a real 16.

I'd have to say the V-drive is definately slowing the boat down big-time. 80mph should no problem with those HP/TQ #'s with any other drive setup.

bdog_402
12-31-2007, 02:09 AM
Mine is a extremely well made deven seal foam core top deck and tubular gunnel stringer star fire that i found dying in a field it is the strongest lightest donzi ive ever seen.
If you notice, he is from BC. I know of 4 molds for the 16 in BC. I have seen several 16's around here but only one real one, so it's probably a knock-off (as mine was). Same as the real thing though, as the molds were popped off a real 16.

I'd have to say the V-drive is definately slowing the boat down big-time. 80mph should no problem with those HP/TQ #'s with any other drive setup.

bdog_402
12-31-2007, 02:30 AM
If you notice, he is from BC. I know of 4 molds for the 16 in BC. I have seen several 16's around here but only one real one, so it's probably a knock-off (as mine was). Same as the real thing though, as the molds were popped off a real 16.

Mine is a extremely well made deven seal foam core top deck and tubular gunnel stringer star fire that i found dying in a field it is the strongest lightest donzi ive ever seen. I need to know if i should use a certain prop and what length rutter???to stop chime walking???