PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Hornet:TOP and BOTTOM PAINT and Cuddy?Value?

SilverBack
12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
How much do you think that it hurts the 1976 Hornet's value being painted, adding a hatch and painted all over? How do these boats handle? Is a roller cam 502 with a TRS drive too much for this thing?

How practical is this boat for a family of 4??

Can you put silent choice on a hot rod like this with a TRS drive?

SilverBack
12-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Here are a couple more pictures to help you make up your mind!!

olredalert
12-29-2007, 08:55 PM
-------You can put several different silent-type systems on a TRS equipped boat. The main reason is that there is just more room. The internal trans pushes the motor somewhat forward so theres plenty of ways and space to quiet down the noise. If the boat already has a Borg-Warner trans the engine is even further forward. Corsa makes a nice stainless in-line muffler tha still lets the music thru but takes the edge off the straight-thru stuff. My wife loves our twin-engine, Corsa muffled El Pescador and (I know Im older than dirt) I dont mind it either. The good thing about mufflers is that they are way cheaper than Q+Q and there is just less stuff to go wrong as well.
--------Oh yah,,, Hornets have less degree V than other DONZIs but dont seem to be hampered much by it. Others on the sight can give you a better idea of how the 502/Hornet will float your boat (couldnt resist) but you will know when you use it best. Hey,,, If its too fast (which I seriously doubt) just dont use all the throttle,,,bwahaaa!!!!!!!!.......Bill S

--------P.S...Looking again at the pics, Im guessing this Hornet has a B-Warner trans. Just looking at it you can see how much room you have.

Lenny
12-30-2007, 01:13 AM
Stang, that has been for sale for a while... Just an FYI.

As far as FAST goes, NEVER question it. Like Bill said, you will be there in no time even if you think it is too fast now. Guaranteed :yes:

joel3078
12-30-2007, 01:23 AM
http://www.shipwreckboats.com/bling2.html

This is a 1976 Hornet getting redone. It is NOT being restored. It's being redone via a bling my boat contest. Shipwreck does the work via contest rules and donations mostly from contestant entry fees. It will beat at the Minneapolis boat show on Jan 23-27. I'll take pics and post here. Lake Minnetonka is the one I go one 90% of the time.

SilverBack
12-30-2007, 01:30 AM
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/9/90891299.htm

I think this boat is in Ohio! I am not 100% sure but I think so.

Rob M
12-30-2007, 04:11 AM
As an FYI - a Hornet will give you an excellent, smooth and dry ride. They are an ideal size for a family of 4 compared to a 16, 18 or even 22. They are relatively heavy boats, so I wouldnt' worry too much about excessive speed. I would be interested in knowing the serial # on this boat.

olredalert
12-30-2007, 11:25 AM
------So Stang,,, Are you buying Joels boat??? We are on the edge of our seats here........Bill S

joel3078
12-31-2007, 08:45 AM
The short answer is yes.
The long answer is stang needs insurance money and whatever else for funds. I need mother nature to quit crapping white manure so I can get the boat from the storage yard to the parking lot. It also has to be somewhat warm (I want at least 25 above zero) before I move the thing around. I am afraid of fiberglass being brittle and cracking at cold temps. Anybody give us feed back on that issue?

yeller
12-31-2007, 02:42 PM
I am afraid of fiberglass being brittle and cracking at cold temps. Anybody give us feed back on that issue?Not a fiberglass expert in the least, but I've never heard of that ever being an issue. :canada: I've certainly never worried about the 1/8" thick fiberglass canopy on my truck.

gold-n-rod
12-31-2007, 04:53 PM
4 Winns builds boat in Cadillac, Michigan. That's in northern Michigan and when I went through there Sunday, it was below 20* and snowing. They transport boats out of there every day.

Of course, you'd like snow-free roads, but unless you are talking well below zero (witch's tit cold) you have nothing to worry about.

Do the deal before the 'Stang finds something else.

joel3078
12-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys - come to think of it, I see a few stacked and upside down on semi truck flatbeds in the winter up my way.

It's just my curse - sold my pontoon boat to a church group in a thunderstorm with hail. Sold my walleye boat when it was 15 below zero. Looks like I'll be roadtripping with a widow behind this winter. Snow on the road is no big deal. Ice sucks however. Stang will have to give the trailer and boat a good wash ASAP after he gets her home.

SilverBack
12-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Joel,
The lady with the company that has the trees told my wife she should have the check by the 3rd or 4th!!:crossfing:

I guess that the cold weather will not be that much of a big deal!

I will give her a good scrubbing when I gt her home!!

I will be glad to get this over with!! My wife called some guy with a blackhawk. She heard me talking about them being fast and throwing that huge rooster tail and she said she thought that I would rather have one of those. I told her it would be fun but you can't haul enough people around with one of those or get out of the sun on one of those 105 degree days like we always have during the summer!!

I am ready to get that Widow down here and get my WAKE TOWER installed!!! I can't believe you never thought of that??? Northeners??? who knows??

I was going to waste my money on fuel injection and a blower but the guys helped me to understand that these old boats are better off just pulling tubes and skiers and WAKE boarders and having fun...They are not for going fast. How much do you think one of those really tall wake towers with all of the speakers is going to slow her down??:wink::wink::doh: