PDA

View Full Version : Gun Question About the Movie "Shooter"

Carl C
12-29-2007, 06:11 PM
I tried to google this but couldn't find it. What kind and caliber weapon did Mark Wahlberg use to make the 1 1/2 mile shot? :fire: Rootsy?

DonziJon
12-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Can't answer your question about the movie....BUT, ...I saw something on the Military Channel (Snipers) about long range shots that was pretty (Very) impressive. John

joel3078
12-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Barrett M82/M107 .50 cal sniper rifle

Taken from here
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822854/goofs

Carl C
12-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Barrett M82/M107 .50 cal sniper rifle

Taken from here
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822854/goofs Using info from that site I think the Barrett is fired from the helicopter but the long range sniper rifle is a Cheyenne Tactical M200 Intervention .408 cal. I bet no one here has one of those in his gun safe. http://www.cheytac.com/m-200.html Now I want to watch it over and look for the mistakes. The link didn't take but the Cheyenne is for sure the gun.

joel3078
12-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Dang Carl, another movie I gotta see.

Try these links.

http://www.cheytac.com/M-200.html

http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/blackwater/?s=2003_main2

Carl C
12-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Dang Carl, another movie I gotta see.

Try these links.

http://www.cheytac.com/M-200.html

http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/blackwater/?s=2003_main2 Yeah, that's the link I tried to post but the lower case M messed it up. How far is 2 Km.? In the flick he makes a mile and a half shot dead on. A must see flick for people who like guns and shooting. Check out how it handles 1/2 inch steel plate in the first link!

BUIZILLA
12-30-2007, 07:45 AM
How far is 2 Km.? 6,600 ft.

Carl C
12-30-2007, 08:12 AM
6,600 ft. Then a mile and a half shot IS possible with this weapon by a good shooter with all the gizmos to set up the shot. And I thought my friends 7 mm was bad-ass!

BUIZILLA
12-30-2007, 08:24 AM
a mile and a half is 7,920 ft, a lot can happen in that last 1320ft. of bragging rights, which just happens to be exactly an extra 1/4 mile...

Gearhead99
12-30-2007, 09:50 AM
You "shot him an email" ?? Will he shoot back?

harbormaster
12-30-2007, 10:41 AM
:fire::fire:

Just a FYI...

The M-200 CIV has been discontinued. The M-200 Military version is now available to the commercial market and is no longer restricted. Woo Hooooo!

I have always been a assault rifle enthusiast.

My FAVES are the CAR-15, Valmet, and HK-91.

cutwater
12-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Also try googling .338 Lapua, a very versatile long range caliber. If I remember correctly, it retains as much energy at 1200 yards as a .44mag at the muzzle. I don't own a .50 cal, but from what I've heard the real problem there is that there isn't anybody making really high quality match ammo, so you're going to get much better accuracy out of the .408 and .338 These are both great rounds.

Rootsy
12-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Also try googling .338 Lapua, a very versatile long range caliber. If I remember correctly, it retains as much energy at 1200 yards as a .44mag at the muzzle. I don't own a .50 cal, but from what I've heard the real problem there is that there isn't anybody making really high quality match ammo, so you're going to get much better accuracy out of the .408 and .338 These are both great rounds.

338 Lapua is currently the long range round for the British military... At least that's what they said on weaponology last week :D

I have right around 700 - 750 yards to the crap mountain behind the house if anyone wants to come see just how good they are with their pee shooters... ;)

This months American Rifleman magazine has an article about building a long range 22 caliber rifle. Capable of 1000+ yard competition with the big boys. necked down 6mm round with the shoulder blown out to 40 degrees (ala P.0. Ackley). The long bearing surface 80 and 90 grain 22 caliber bullets apparently have the BC to travel the distance when leaving the muzzle around 4000 fps...

farmer tx
01-01-2008, 12:43 AM
http://www.break.com/index/skinny-girl-owned-by-desert-eagle.html

DonziChick
01-01-2008, 05:29 PM
My boyfriend has a .50 BMG and made sure to build up a huge pile of dirt/concrete/asphalt in the back yard because of the power. He's sitting here yelling at me for my incorrect wording - so hopefully it's right by now. He watches Shooter quite a bit

He wants me to buy him a .338 Sako TRG but unless I hit the lottery, that isn't happening.

Team Jefe
01-02-2008, 09:17 AM
If you liked the movie, you will love the Book...Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter. Great fiction IMO, and since these were written "pre-Barrett", the guns are .308 cal. Remington Model 700 and Winchester Model 70's. Plus there are several Bob Lee Swagger novels and at least two sub-plot story lines including different Swagger family generations.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-0622742-3242269?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=point+of+impact

zimm17
01-02-2008, 03:19 PM
I checked out the Cheytac after watching it on future weapons. The setup is only $20,000. So you could sell your donzi and get one :tongue:

I shot a guy's 338-416, which is a .416 Rigby necked down to .338 in a custom built rifle with what he said was a 2 oz. trigger. This cartridge was the basis for the .338 lapua. He made us dry fire it several times before putting a live round in because the trigger was so light it would go off when you touched it unless you had tried it a few times. It kicked like a mule, but vaporized the little rock I shot at 200 yards away (the full length of the range I was on).

show-n-go h2o
01-02-2008, 04:12 PM
:fire:I have always been a assault rifle enthusiast.

My FAVES are the CAR-15, Valmet, and HK-91.

i have an M4 and a CAR-15 i love assult rifles to but i would probly trade them both for a good sniper rifle. here is a pic of my M4

Carl C
01-02-2008, 04:51 PM
I checked out the Cheytac after watching it on future weapons. The setup is only $20,000. So you could sell your donzi and get one :tongue:

Only 20 grand. What a deal. You gotta love a high power bolt action rifle :uzi:. Thanks for all of the replies.

Donzi5150
01-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I used to fly in a Special Operations unit and we regularly shot that rifle but we flew with the regular .50 cal door mounted machine gun in the Blackhawk’s......Browning reports that it can kill a human at 5 miles.....if you can hit him at that range and it will penetrate 8 inches of amour plating with Depleted Uranium rounds.......You can adjust it from about 550 rounds per minute up to around 800 rounds per minute......what a fun gun to shoot and wreck
someones day!:smash:

Rootsy
01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
For some reason this thread makes me want to break out the 280 and grab the predator call.. :D

DonziChick
01-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Now I want to watch it over and look for the mistakes. The link didn't take but the Cheyenne is for sure the gun.

There are tons of mistakes in the film, including the Cheytac itself that was spruced up for the "hollywood look", along with the semi auto Barrett that had to be manually ****ed... just to name a few.

The guys on Sipershide have completely picked the movie appart.

--Tony

DonziChick
01-03-2008, 09:59 AM
338 Lapua is currently the long range round for the British military... At least that's what they said on weaponology last week :D

I have right around 700 - 750 yards to the crap mountain behind the house if anyone wants to come see just how good they are with their pee shooters... ;)

This months American Rifleman magazine has an article about building a long range 22 caliber rifle. Capable of 1000+ yard competition with the big boys. necked down 6mm round with the shoulder blown out to 40 degrees (ala P.0. Ackley). The long bearing surface 80 and 90 grain 22 caliber bullets apparently have the BC to travel the distance when leaving the muzzle around 4000 fps...

I'm supprised that American Rifleman finally published an arcticle about something other than a 1911.

People have been wildcating the .22 for years. When the velocities get high enough to carry the bullet that far then barrel life is shortened dramatically. I want a .338 Lapua in the worst imaginable way, but the idea of having to replace the barrel every few thousand rounds isnt very appealing.

Even a super heavy .22 cal bullet combined with the proper twist rate is going to get tossed around by the slightest breeze when approaching 1k yds.

--Tony

Rootsy
01-03-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm supprised that American Rifleman finally published an arcticle about something other than a 1911.

People have been wildcating the .22 for years. When the velocities get high enough to carry the bullet that far then barrel life is shortened dramatically. I want a .338 Lapua in the worst imaginable way, but the idea of having to replace the barrel every few thousand rounds isnt very appealing.

Even a super heavy .22 cal bullet combined with the proper twist rate is going to get tossed around by the slightest breeze when approaching 1k yds.

--Tony

And that Sir is why you don't just up and toss lead at that distance, but you know that. There is quite a bit of art and science long before you squeeze the trigger.

barrel life? pfffft... once you do a couple of re-barrels it's like tying your shoe laces, albeit pricey shoe laces... :D:smash::nilly:

Formula Jr
01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
You mean let go of the trigger. Set trigger. You let go of it. You don't pull it. You release it.

f_inscreenname
01-04-2008, 08:28 PM
The big stuff is fun but the only gun “I had to have” is this one.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4909/kimber2yq8.jpg

I don’t know about the rest of you but I wont be shooting at someone 5 miles away. More like 5 to 50 feet and like the guy said at the gun range, “All you have to is wing them with that thing and they will bleed to death before they get out of the house.”

DonziChick
01-14-2008, 09:16 PM
The big stuff is fun but the only gun “I had to have” is this one.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4909/kimber2yq8.jpg

I don’t know about the rest of you but I wont be shooting at someone 5 miles away. More like 5 to 50 feet and like the guy said at the gun range, “All you have to is wing them with that thing and they will bleed to death before they get out of the house.”

Who said anything about humans?:confused: 99.99% of precission long range shooters punch holes in paper and steel. Dont belive everything you hear, the .45 ACP is not a magical "drop dead" caliber, shot placement means everything no matter what caliber firearm you are shooting.

f_inscreenname
01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Who said anything about humans?:confused: 99.99% of precission long range shooters punch holes in paper and steel. Dont belive everything you hear, the .45 ACP is not a magical "drop dead" caliber, shot placement means everything no matter what caliber firearm you are shooting.

I'm sorry. I guess this;

"Browning reports that it can kill a human at 5 miles.....if you can hit him at that range and it will penetrate 8 inches of amour plating with Depleted Uranium rounds......."

or this

"I have an M4 and a CAR-15 i love assult rifles to but i would probly trade them both for a good sniper rifle."

or this

" http://www.break.com/index/skinny-girl-owned-by-desert-eagle.html "

or this

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/9589/gunwa2.jpg

through me off a little.

As for the .45, if all I have is it and my boxers when I come down the stairs in the middle of the night I’ll take my chances with what they brought any day. It also doesn’t hurt knowing that I have put 1000's of rounds through the Kimber and never a jam or misfire (I do a full cleaning after every use). Also knowing it's loaded with Eagle Talon’s don't hurt either.:hangum:

Carl C
01-15-2008, 05:41 PM
I also use long guns only for target shooting :fire:and I think effin's .45 is a good choice for self defense. Personally I like the .357 Magnum. A pump 12 gauge under the bed is a good idea too. (if no kids around):uzi::smash: The secret is to practice because the punks on the street don't!

DonziChick
01-15-2008, 09:19 PM
As you can probably tell, Tony has been posting under my name, but I still agree with him. He's taught me how to shoot in the last year or two. I enjoy long range target shooting much more than a hand gun. I don't shoot at anything but a cardboard box, which is what most people use as targets.

I'd like to get into trap shooting but so far I'm not very good at it. :doh:

zelatore
01-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I also use long guns only for target shooting :fire:and I think effin's .45 is a good choice for self defense. Personally I like the .357 Magnum. A pump 12 gauge under the bed is a good idea too. (if no kids around):uzi::smash: The secret is to practice because the punks on the street don't!

Well, since the thread has already moved off -topic anyway, I'll chime in.
(I'm sure there are plenty of more knowledgeable people who'll disagree but here goes)

For home-defense as mentioned above, I'd vote for the pump shotgun every time. That's what's been in my bedroom for the last few years now, and I have no plans to keep any of our handguns or rifles 'accesable' so long as the shotgun is ready.

Niether Michele or I are expert shots - we're normal people who go to the range every once in a while. With a pistol (pick your caliber) we'd be lucky to hit anything in the 'heat of the moment' even at the close ranges inhearant in a home invasion situation. I'd love to think I'd be cool under preasure, but lets face it - the numbers say otherwise. Look at the stats from police hand gun fire-fights. These guys are trained for this, but even at very close ranges very few hits are scored on the bad guys. Plus, if (when) you miss, you may well punch through your wall and into the neighboor's house as well unless you live in a remote area. Not a good thought. Also a reason not to load with slugs for this sort of work.

Plus you have the intimidation factor of racking the slide on the shotgun (also why I use a pump instead of a semi-auto). A bad guy would be able to hear that sound from any room in a quite house. Unless he was a very serious customer, that would likely be enough to convince him to exit post-haste without me ever having to confront him. And that is the name of the game in home defense, not revenge for the B&E.

While the manuverabilty of a handgun has it's advantages, I think the shotgun's advantages make it the best choice for this application. And it goes without saying most rifles would be the last pick for home defense.

zelatore
01-15-2008, 09:55 PM
One other + for the shotgun:

You can actually BUY one without having to go through a ton of red tape. Even here in the People's Repulik of Kalifornia.

DonziChick
01-15-2008, 10:23 PM
For the un seasoned and even the seasoned shooter a shotgun is by far thee best all around firerarm for home defense. No need for spot on accuracy, not much worry about over penetration i.e. killing your own children in the next room or your neibhor sleeping in the next house over. The sound of a racking slide in the middle of the night should scare off just about any perp. Remember the idea here is to avoid confrontation ;) But if were on the topic of home defenese, lets start with a good security system and a few motion lights that way you shouldnt ever have to even reach for the shotgun in the closet.:cool:

-Tony

zelatore
01-15-2008, 10:31 PM
But if were on the topic of home defenese, lets start with a good security system and a few motion lights that way you shouldnt ever have to even reach for the shotgun in the closet.:cool:

-Tony
True enough.

Luckily I've never actually had reason to use mine in such a situation. There have been a couple times I've pick it up in the night, but fortunately there was nothing actually happening.

Team Jefe
01-16-2008, 12:32 PM
I came close ONCE. A guy stoned on Freon was trying to kick in my door. I've never seen a person so insane with fury, luckily the deadbolts held. I can't imagine what it would be like to kill a person....hope I never have to!!!

My GF was on 911 and cops were there almost instantly. He tried to give them some grief....which I think they LOVED, they took his ass down big time, carted him away and I never saw him again.

Hooooray for Texas Law Enforcement:yes:

Still, the 12 gauge is right by the door. If its him or me, or worse, him or Renee....its goin' be him and I'll live with it.

zelatore
01-16-2008, 02:57 PM
I came close ONCE. A guy stoned on Freon was trying to kick in my door. I've never seen a person so insane with fury, luckily the deadbolts held. I can't imagine what it would be like to kill a person....hope I never have to!!!

My brother had that exact situation happen about 10 years ago in Indiana. A kid, high on something, became certain that my brother's townhouse was his place. He knocked on the door and when my brother answered, the kid tried to just walk in. He wasn't real big, so my brother just sort of turned him around and pushed him right back out, then locked the door. The kid went balistic trying to break the door down.

My brother didn't have a gun in the house, but was standing there with a tire iron while his wife was calling 911. He later confessed that he was worried about braining the guy (he turned out to be only 14) but knew he didn't have any choice if the door gave. The cops took him away before the kid got through the door, so he never had to take the swing. His biggest fear of course was what if his wife had been home alone - she's about 5' 0, 110 lbs, and wouldn't stop much of anybody who wanted to cause trouble.

He never did get a gun, although I discussed it with him. He now has two young kids in the house and the wife is very against having anything around with them there. Personally, I thought he still might want a wepon and when the kids are a little older he should start taking them shooting just like he and I did as kids. As long as they know what it is and what to do (and not do) with it, the mystery is gone and there's no reason it couldn't be safe. But just like religion and poltics, he and I don't always see eye to eye on this sort of thing.

Carl C
01-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Well I think I'm going to avoid any more self defense talk lest folks start thinking we're paranoid:eek!:! But I sure wish I'd had a piece in my hand a few weeks ago.........:(.

Rootsy
01-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Well I think I'm going to avoid any more self defense talk lest folks start thinking we're paranoid:eek!:! But I sure wish I'd had a piece in my hand a few weeks ago.........:(.

Carl,

It isn't paranoia, it's being prepared. Your safety and well being are your responsibility. The police generally show up just in time to draw the chalk outline and tape off the area...

Situational Awareness is the first step to being safe...

f_inscreenname
01-17-2008, 02:10 PM
My first question to someone that asks about a self defense weapon is, “can you kill someone”. If they pause at all I then say, “your dead and with your own gun, get yourself a good, strong bat.”
And for anyone that has a hand gun for home defense you have to have one of these. http://www.gunvault.com/

http://gunvault.com/nss-folder/pictures/minideluxe_pg.jpg

Carl C
01-17-2008, 02:18 PM
MP, good point. Jamie, I'm trying to be more prepared in case I'm mugged again. After being clubbed from behind I'm still very nervous about what or who may be behind me. F'in, If threatened with a deadly weapon I would kill without hesitation.

Rootsy
01-18-2008, 11:12 AM
MP, good point. Jamie, I'm trying to be more prepared in case I'm mugged again. After being clubbed from behind I'm still very nervous about what or who may be behind me. F'in, If threatened with a deadly weapon I would kill without hesitation.

Remember Carl, you shoot to stop the threat... not to kill...

Carl C
01-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Remember Carl, you shoot to stop the threat... not to kill... Absolutely. And remember this is all hypothetical but if my life were threatened and I had a gun in hand I'm shooting for the largest target - the torso. If this results in a kill then I just made the world a tiny bit safer.

show-n-go h2o
01-31-2008, 08:41 AM
since there seem to be a tremendous amount of gun knowlage on here. what would this sks be worth pics below.

i have a guy trading me this for my taurus .40 cal. he says the sks is the chinese marked with a 26, which meens nothing to me. im not familiar with sks at all. i know my gun was only $300 over five years ago but i want a gun i can use without problems, is this a good one?

this is the description he typed.....

up for trade i hardly ever get the time to go to the outdoor range i belong to so i never really get a chance to shoot it, so im interested in some trades for a pistol i can take to indoor range. prefer semi auto but im not picky so will consider any gun trade .. so let me know what you have

semi auto sks with all matching numbers
have all original hardware it came with--wood stock,cleaning rods,folding bayonet,magazine, ect.
draganov composite stock
extended recoil butt pad
adjustable bi-pod that folds under gun and attaches at bayonet swivel
extended composite magazine 20-30 rounds not sure brand new
rail for mounting scope
red dot scope takes watch battery-will need new one
hard case that fits everything including original parts
almost full box of 7.62x39 winchester's
adjustable cheek pad
also have another small scope i will throw in with the gun (regular not red dot)

i will get pics up later tonight thanks and let me know what ya got

**EDITED***
the sks is chinesse with a triangle code 26
they classify the chinesse codes as---highest concentration produced, highly likely to exist, likely to exist, and possibly exist...

triangle code 26 falls under "likely to exist"

DonziChick
02-02-2008, 04:48 PM
since there seem to be a tremendous amount of gun knowlage on here. what would this sks be worth pics below.

i have a guy trading me this for my taurus .40 cal. he says the sks is the chinese marked with a 26, which meens nothing to me. im not familiar with sks at all. i know my gun was only $300 over five years ago but i want a gun i can use without problems, is this a good one?

this is the description he typed.....

up for trade i hardly ever get the time to go to the outdoor range i belong to so i never really get a chance to shoot it, so im interested in some trades for a pistol i can take to indoor range. prefer semi auto but im not picky so will consider any gun trade .. so let me know what you have

semi auto sks with all matching numbers
have all original hardware it came with--wood stock,cleaning rods,folding bayonet,magazine, ect.
draganov composite stock
extended recoil butt pad
adjustable bi-pod that folds under gun and attaches at bayonet swivel
extended composite magazine 20-30 rounds not sure brand new
rail for mounting scope
red dot scope takes watch battery-will need new one
hard case that fits everything including original parts
almost full box of 7.62x39 winchester's
adjustable cheek pad
also have another small scope i will throw in with the gun (regular not red dot)

i will get pics up later tonight thanks and let me know what ya got

**EDITED***
the sks is chinesse with a triangle code 26
they classify the chinesse codes as---highest concentration produced, highly likely to exist, likely to exist, and possibly exist...

triangle code 26 falls under "likely to exist"

Do you really want an SKS? The accuracy isnt much to write home about and the cool factor is severely lacking. What exactly are you looking for?

-Thrill

Carl C
02-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Some people talk bad about Taurus but it's the only firearm I know of with an unconditional lifetime warranty.............

Patti
02-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Some people talk bad about Taurus but it's the only firearm I know of with an unconditional lifetime warranty.............
And they have a cute handgun in PINK! :tongue:

pmreed
02-03-2008, 11:32 AM
I like my Taurus PT99 9mm semiauto; just a rebadged Beretta.

show-n-go h2o
02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Do you really want an SKS? The accuracy isnt much to write home about and the cool factor is severely lacking. What exactly are you looking for?

-Thrill

I have heard the opposite, everyone i've talked said there accuracy is as good if not better than my M4 and my mini featherlite 15, im not much for hand guns and i have a bunch, this gun looks cool and im all about rifles but i dont know much about the Sks. i went ahead and traded him. im sure i came out on top money wise, i just dont want to keep a gun thats going to jam up and give me problems when im out shooting, i dont get to go out that often so when i go i want all fun no work.
i wouldnt even have considered an sks just because of the wood on them, but with the changes he made to this one i like the looks of it, now just need to see if i llke shooting it. hopfully it's not junk but either way it has to be worth more than my .40cal was.