PDA

View Full Version : Chain saws

goatee
12-28-2007, 11:37 PM
i remember there was a thread some time ago about saws.
where exactly did we land on that one?

tree fell in my back yard and so far everyone that said they would let me use their saw, has let me down.

i may look into renting one, as i dont forsee a big need for a saw just now....but,, just in case,,, bang for buck,, whats my best bet??? (keeping in mind i wont have to use it a whole lot)

i'll pry just rent one if i can.

Lenny
12-29-2007, 12:35 AM
Stihl, then Husquavarna. I have two Husky's, my dad a Stihl. I like his better and I have (the big one) an XP55 which cooks. His is better in my mind. I just sawed ( last week) about 2-3 cords of Arbutus for him (Madrona for the Cali folks) and it had to be 30" through and 40-ish feet long and NOT GREEN, but DRY. It was fun and easy. I used his STIHL for it. No problem, HUGE trees dropped off by a logging truck about 5 years ago and they sat.

Carl C
12-29-2007, 06:58 AM
I've got a Makita that has cut a couple hundred face cords of wood the past ten years and still going strong. It uses a Sthil chain. If you buy one (which I'd recommend) get your chains from a professional saw dealer. The anti-kickback chains at Home Depot, etc. suck. The professional chains rip; Just keep both hands on the saw! I think you should buy a saw, any brand, because even if you don't burn wood you'll be surprised how handy they are. I've even used mine to cut heavy lumber and help with remod projects. BTW, I've lent mine out but don't like to because it always comes back with a dull chain from going into the ground. Maybe if you offer to pay for a new chain (about $15).........

chappy
12-29-2007, 07:40 AM
:thumbsup:Stihl

vonkamp
12-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Stihl for sure. They also have a great resale value if you don't want to keep it. 290 Farm Boss is a good one.

hardcrab
12-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Everything Poodle said .....
I bit the bullet this year and got the Stihl MS361 with a 20" bar. Not cheap and worth every penny.
If you need a saw more than twice a season, BUY ONE !
You do get what you pay for, so don't save few dollars now only to curse the machine forever.
Yes, chaps are a good investment and NO, I don't lend out my saw (feel free to use and curse at my Poulan )
:smash:

bob haver
12-29-2007, 09:40 AM
no comparison still all the way:wink:

Rootsy
12-29-2007, 09:56 AM
I have a Stihl MS310 20". Does everything I've asked it to do without a hiccup except fell some large timber (30"+ across) where it just doesn't have the sack to keep the chain spinning. Eventually I'm just going to go buy an MS460 and keep the little 310 for limbing and light bucking and such.

If all you are doing is some recreational cutting once in a great while, in this case cleaning a tree up, you don't need an expensive shelf ornament IMHO. The size of the tree is going to dictate how large a saw you need more than anything.

As far as a saw for regular use, I like Stihl because of the dealer network, sales and service, a one on one quality experience. Husq. around here is sold at the medium sized box stores such as TSC and family farm and home... where there is no one that knows how to setup or service the saw before it leaves the store...

All that said I know quite a few folks around here that heat their homes all winter by cutting wood with the little green boogers you buy at walmart...

If I lived in the burbs and only used a saw once in a great great while i'd probably own an MS250 16"... If you don't have experience with a saw and know the ins and outs I don't suggest stepping up to full chisel kick back type chains and bars...

roadtrip se
12-29-2007, 10:24 AM
I have the 250C and use it constantly in Michigan and Kentucky. Same routine for five years and she has never burped.

MP just sent me a longer bar, 18", and some chains, so I can go attack a bunch of emarald ash borer victims after the first.

I've tried bigger saws, but I like the weight of the 250C and I am not going after anything bigger than 14-16", so the saw fits the job.

Go cheap and get what you pay for. Not a great idea on something like this...

osur866
12-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Hands down without a doubt Stihl, I've got many stihl products including 3 chainsaws one was made in the late 60's and still kicks butt, they make very good weed eaters and leaf blowers and shredders! Not the cheepest but once you use one you will see why they are the best. Steve

osur866
12-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Scott, not sure of the model # It's solid orange and its one of the small trimming saws very lightweight, can climb up in trees and use with one hand, but of course I have never done that, use to be my grandfathers, I've also got a 034av super along with weedeater and leaf shedder/blower me likes Sithil :yes: Steve

osur866
12-30-2007, 10:22 PM
I believe you maybe right, it is a tree climbing saw with the top handle it's lightweight and its a running s.o.b. little hard to start but once you get them started they run good. Now that v-8 is the chit.

goatee
12-31-2007, 11:51 AM
thank you all for you insight on this. i think ill buy instead of rent.
a tree blew over in my back yard, not a very big tree. maybe 10" at its base. but it still needs to be cleaned up. bradford pear, so,, branches EVERYWHERE.
thanks again everyone

RedDog
01-02-2008, 04:21 PM
I have always relied on the saws owned by family and friends - and their operation of said saw. I'm a better supervisor than lumber jack!

That said I do have a tree that needs to come down soon in a controlled manner vs accidental. An accidental falling is imminent.

realbold
01-04-2008, 12:53 AM
I always said if you have trees you need a saw. Stihl & Husky are the best, but I bought a factory recon 20" Mac 12 years ago for half the price and it starts and cuts every time I need it with more power than my dads Stihl.

Tim Morris
01-04-2008, 09:21 AM
That said I do have a tree that needs to come down soon in a controlled manner vs accidental. An accidental falling is imminent.

Here would be an accidental falling, complete with the
requisite horseshoes firmly logged where the sun don't shine.

glashole
01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
I would have to say Willows would be the worst to cut when under tension

really stringy